• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Manor Park School Vicarage Road

Baz I thought my spelling was incorrect missed the H out. Did you see the group photo?. Pat has some more to send but of what I don't know. Jean.
Pauline has e-mailed yourself Pat and Pauline,she has recieved a reply from Pauilne who is in Canada.Regarding spelling you are assuming my version is correct I have my doubts.Baz

Baz we are all back in touch. Pauline Blackwell is a member of the site but has been away for a while. Her Brother in law has joined too but neither have posted yet. Pat has sent a lot of photo's through some of your Pauline. It is like Aston and Manor Park reunited. Denise is in touch also. ttfn. Jean.

Jean, Diane is now living in Wales, I will ask Rita for more details when she returns from holiday on Saturday, and will IM you.

Jean the girl in the middle is Anita Hargreaves - no I haven't got a good memory (like some of us) I read it off the cutting
Denise

More pictures, me with Diane Hawkes, me again with Doreen Robinson, and yet me again with Veronica Bent. The teacher I can't remember, the two girls, on the left Ann Jones? and Diane Partridge

I think you are correct, I know she taught french but just can't remember her name and it was in the prefabs

Last edited:
I also went to Manor Park Girls school and it is as I thought from your posting patty that we must have been doing the rounds together, as you were there the same years as me. I remember my class teacher was miss Redmond, I also remember miss Hillier the P.E teacher when I left the school I used to go back to one of her evening gym classes as I loved PE. Not so the navy blue knickers though and me and my mates used to roll up the legs so that they looked all high legged. Well we did have to consider our street cred lol. I think the headmistress before Miss Plant was a miss Featherstone? Take care val

Denise Pat I think it is Miss Bacon who later became Mrs.Patrick my least favourite teacher of all time. Thanks for the info Denise about the girl in the middle only it was a question asked on friends re-united. Will go on later and let them think I'm a clever cloggs. A photo of Mrs Lowe and the girls names I'm not sure of. She was very strict but fair. The photo was taken outside the cookery room the day we left. Jean.

Jean, Mrs Patrick is the name I remember, the photo under hers is Christine Jones I think, I called her Ann,the girl next to her is definately Diane Partridge

Thanks Denise. Is this the same girl as on a previous photo whose name I couldn't remember?. The other is a group photo on a school holiday. Jean.

Yes Jean if you are on about the girl you're sat eating your sarnies with, it is Anita Hargreaves. We popped in and saw Joyce Brittain today and I said you were going to email the picture of us beautiful bevvies in our costumes. I told her her family would have a chuckle, I certainly did

I will ask Pat Sheldon to e.mail me the other first as I have deleted it in error even from the trash folder. I remembered one of the girls names by Mrs Lowe to her right it was Wendy but she was in a lower class than us. Jean.

Could any of you tell me if a Mary Cioates was at your school, Mary is my cousin and lived in Church Lane and was about your ages....Brenda

Could any of you tell me if a Mary Cioates was at your school, Mary is my cousin and lived in Church Lane and was about your ages....Brenda
My wife, Shirley Howell and her sister Irene used to live 4 doors away from Mary in Church Lane, when Edith and Bill Coates kept the newsagents shop, she also remembers nan and grandad Paget out Queens Road. Shirley and Irene both went to Vicarage Rd school, Shirley left in 1955 and Irene in 1958, Irene died 18 years ago in Clyst St. Mary near Exeter. We are also still in touch with Sally Gray who used to live next door, she now lives in Exeter. Does anyone remember Shirley, Irene or Sally?

I am in touch with Dorothy Holland who may remember them and will write to her in the morning. she is the person who told me about Miss Plant. The name Howell rings a bell and I wondered if your wife remembers Joyce Brittain who lived at the other newsagents shop further up?. Her friend Denise Hodsen is on the forum?, Patty may know. Jean.

She dosent remember Joce Brittain, but she remembers Beryl McLeod from the newsagents on the corner of Vicarage Rd and Pugh Rd. Clive.

Clive have made a note of all the names and will ask Dorothy tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I do remember mom taking me one a week to the newsagents the one you mentioned I think and she would buy raffle tickets for a threepenny bit but can't remember what the prize was. Jean.

Clive are you related to a Margaret Paget?. She went Manor Park. This is the school badge that Dorothy Holland dropped through the letter box yesterday. I have now forwarded it on to Mayfield for a project he is doing. Jean. PS. Clive I am awaiting a reply from Dorothy.

Ray sorry forgot to answer your question. I do remember the name but can't put a face to her? Sorry.

Clive are you related to a Margaret Paget?. She went Manor Park. This is the school badge that Dorothy Holland dropped through the letter box yesterday. I have now forwarded it on to Mayfield for a project he is doing. Jean. PS. Clive I am awaiting a reply from Dorothy.
Jean, my wife isnt related to Margaret Paget, only mentioned nan Paget as she was grandmother of Mary Coates that brenda was asking after.

Clive Dorothy just replied to my e.mail and she said sorry but no. Ray forgot to mention mention Sheila but will next time I am in touch with her. Jean.

Claribel, its nice to know someone remembers my uncle and aunt Bill and Edie Coates, also Mary, and the Pagets, Mary was my little bridsmaid at my wedding 1956 at Aston Church...Mary lives at Bridgenorth now and enjoying her retirement although has had a few health issues but is on the mend...Church Lane has so many memories for me as my g/parents and gtg/parents lived heir lives there, my mother grew up and got married from there, people did'nt travel very far from home in those days....Brenda

Brenda, Shirley says will you please pass on her good wishes to Mary when you are next in touch with her. Best wishes Clive.

Brenda, Shirley says will you please pass on her good wishes to Mary the next time that you are in touch with her. Best wishes Clive
Sorry I've done this reply twice, Senior moment!!

Back