• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maiers Winter family Update-Part 1

Maiers Winter family Update- Part 1- Birth certificate from Poland

UPDATE ON MAIERS WINTER FAMILY LIVING IN BIRMINGHAM FROM 1886-1920?
INTRODUCTION

After a saga starting on July 8th and finishing only on September 23rd did I get the elusive birth certificates from Poland. The lack of communication from Konin archives was thorough. Only because I had been advised of a circuitous route through to the district level did I ever manage to get these papers. Luckily my advisor had recommended asking for several certificates so I chose not only Jacob Winter but a Szymon Winter. As it turned out the Jacob Winter was not our grandfather but Szymon Winter has turned out to be Mum’s cousin. Incidentally this Jacob Winter is a relative of Haskiel Winter – a family that Natalie Lamb thinks is linked to us. So far we have not been able to prove this.

Here is the translation of the certificate done by Natalie Lamb:
No. 2
Settlement of Kramsk

This happened in the village of Slesin in the year 1886 on January 10 th / 22nd at 10 o’clock in the morning. There appeared in person Chaim Mayer Winter, a merchant residing in the settlement of Kramsk aged 25 years from birth, and in the presence of witnesses, Wolf Sompolinski aged 63, and Itska Szwalb aged 60 years from birth, both residing in the village of Slesin, and he presented to us a child of the male sex stating that it was born in the settlement of Kramsk on 5th / 17th of the current month and year at 6 o’clock in the evening to his lawful wife Dobresh born Szmuklerczyk aged 24 years from birth. During a religious ceremony this child was given the name Szymon Winter. This document was read out loud and was signed by Us and the witnesses, the father did not know how to write his name.

Natalie goes on to give reasons why she thinks this is our Maier Winter:
1. Szymon’s father is named as Chaim Mayer Winter. I think this could be Myer Winter, the father of Enoch, Isaac, Yetta, amongst others. So far, I have 8 children listed in that family.
2. Szymon’s mother is named as Dobresh Szmuklerczyk. I think this could be Deborah Wolfe.
3. From the JRI-PL database I have traced the birth of Dobres Szmuklerczyk to 1855 in Golina, Kalisz Gubernia. There are numerous others of the same surname in Golina.
4. From the FreeBMD database I have found a marriage that could be Szymon’s older brother Isaac Winter, marrying in Q3 1903 in Mile End, London to Rosa Schmucklitzick (spelling is a close match, so maybe an arranged marriage through the mother’s family??).
5. Isaac & Rosa went to USA in 1904. On the bottom line of the manifest you can see that Rose stated she too was born in Golin (a). The distance between Slesin and Golina is only 12 miles.
6. Their daughter Ruth was born a couple of months later in New York. The attached search found two Ruth Winters born in NY in 1904, and from the comment on the manifest concerning Rose’s 7 month pregnancy, this makes the August 11th birth the likely one.

Back