• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maddocks Eleanor b 1897 Hit a brick wall

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folk..really hit a brick wall with this one..i am trying to find a birth or find her on the 1901 or 1911 census but to no avail...looking for eleanor maddocks b 1897 no idea where...all i can find on ancestry is her marr cert to cyril davies date of marr dec 1920 at the parish church yardley..eleanor is aged 23 her father is down as walter maddocks but gives no occupation and no one by the name of maddocks down as a witness...i have tried spelling first and last name different ways but still no luck...any help would be appreciated..

many thanks

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn - try Nellie. On FreeBMD there is one born Birmingham Jul-Sep 1896 and one born Birkenhead Jan-Mar 1898. John

Lyn , try Eliza Ellen Maddocks baptised St Peter Morley yorkshire 2 Feb 1897
father Walter Maddocks mother minnie
There is marriage of Walter Maddocks to Minnie Thompson 1891 Chorlton Lancs.

1901 Charlotte street, Chester
Minnie Maddocks age 29,married,born Manchester
Tom age 7 born Manchester
Nellie 4 born Morley yorks
joe 1 Marple Cheshire

Bit more info Lyn, found Minnie on ancestry, she was born Minnie cotton but her Dad Samson Cotton died and she was adopted by a John thompson and his wife Ellen, more info on Ancestry family trees including photo of minnie who died in Canada in 1953.

Last edited:
thanks jukebox and alberta trust me to come up with yet another missing rellie..nearly as bad as old enos alberta lol

thank you both for the info i shall investigate...

lyn

Nothing or no one could give us the runaround like your naughty Enos.
For those who do not remember Enos was a bigamist, Yes I know in our Lyns family, the shame,LOL.

Nothing or no one could give us the runaround like your naughty Enos.
For those who do not remember Enos was a bigamist, Yes I know in our Lyns family, the shame,LOL.

lol alberta..i never did tell our mom about her gt grandad enos wood she would not have been amused..i know he did wrong leaving mary ann in ladywood with 2 young boys and going off to yorkshire to re marry but i myself dont mind a rougue or two in the family...sort of beefs up the history and makes it more interesting..ive found a couple misdemeaners with my harrington side as well..when i told our dad what his dad did at age 14 he burst out laffin and said..that sounds about right.

oh nothing to report yet using the above info...im really stumped on this and lynne webb is helping me as well

lyn

Last edited:
The Nellie born in Birmingham in 1896 was baptised at St John Ladywood but there is no father's name listed! Mother is Martha.

Janice

The Nellie born in Birmingham in 1896 was baptised at St John Ladywood but there is no father's name listed! Mother is Martha.

Janice

thank you pjmburns..the mystery continues im afraid but will keep on digging...

lyn

I have joined this site this morning and i ve noticed your query about Maddocks family.
I have the family Bible for the Maddock ( no S ) and Cutlers from Birmingham. My Great Aunt Winifred was born 24 March 1877 her sister Laura Maddock born March 1879 immigrated to USA im not sure of the date. If you feel this may be of interest please contact me.

Richard

Lyn , try Eliza Ellen Maddocks baptised St Peter Morley yorkshire 2 Feb 1897
father Walter Maddocks mother minnie
There is marriage of Walter Maddocks to Minnie Thompson 1891 Chorlton Lancs.

1901 Charlotte street, Chester
Minnie Maddocks age 29,married,born Manchester
Tom age 7 born Manchester
Nellie 4 born Morley yorks
joe 1 Marple Cheshire

Bit more info Lyn, found Minnie on ancestry, she was born Minnie cotton but her Dad Samson Cotton died and she was adopted by a John thompson and his wife Ellen, more info on Ancestry family trees including photo of minnie who died in Canada in 1953.
Could be a massive coincidence
Lyn - I know this is a while ago but.....
Eleanor Davies is on 1939 with dob 12 Dec 1896
Eliza Ellen Maddocks s baptised with dob 12 Dec 1896

1675089505103.png
1675089575001.png

Last edited:
jan i had pretty much given up on this one but i wonder....what address is given on the 39 my subs has just run out...thanks

lyn

Eleanor and Cyril Davies at 103 Manor Road.

Have to say I am not 100% convinced about Eliza Ellen and think it might be a coincidence. The only thing I can think of for Eleanor is that she was illegitimate and her birth was reg under mmn.

Eleanor and Cyril Davies at 103 Manor Road.

Have to say I am not 100% convinced about Eliza Ellen and think it might be a coincidence. The only thing I can think of for Eleanor is that she was illegitimate and her birth was reg under mmn.
well i know for sure that manor road was the family home for some years jan....it could just be a coincidence and reading back alberta did mention eliza ellen

I think on the 1921 census she is down as Eleanor Eliza born in Cheshire
1675092863462.png
If I hover over the entry I get
1675092902629.png

Last edited:
Back