• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Machinery

Basically i just need information, what machine it came off etc and are the manufacturer still in operation??
Thanks.
It is a small stationary vertical steam engine. It look like it had a number of parts missing, the crank, flywheel, eccentric and eccentric staps, valve rod, lubricators and a few other small bits.

In the absence of a maker’s nameplate, it may prove hard to know who made it. Engines like this were quite common in the UK the turn of the 20th century and were made in lots of different sizes for different jobs. They are often seen in small steamboats.

I will show to photo to a friend who may know more.

It is a small stationary vertical steam engine. It look like it had a number of parts missing, the crank, flywheel, eccentric and eccentric staps, valve rod, lubricators and a few other small bits.

In the absence of a maker’s nameplate, it may prove hard to know who made it. Engines like this were quite common in the UK the turn of the 20th century and were made in lots of different sizes for different jobs. They are often seen in small steamboats.

I will show to photo to a friend who may know more.
Very grateful.I will take some measurements tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230210_121511.jpg
    20230210_121511.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Ok, a good pal of mine has got back and said:

"I recognise that. It’s at Moira Furnace and is a Tangye built at Smethwick Birmingham. I last saw it about November and it was looking just like that. Donated to Moira by Bass at Burton-on-Trent. Original location and use unknown."

I do recall a couple of steam engines were left at the Moira site with plans for restoration, but it did not happen.

There is a lot of inflation about Tangye, Smethwick, Birmingham if you use the search box
The photo below shows how it may have looked while working.

Image curtesy of Edward Potts
Tangye built at Smethwick Birmingham.jpg

Here is the Tangye catalogue and engine specification courtesy of Edward Potts

View attachment 177930View attachment 177931
I believe that the group has the vintage correct. Looking at the casting shape, the solid bearings, Babbitt type with the style Staufers(lubricators).
I would we sprites if it were Deere.
The part closest looks like a newer design bearing cartridge, hard to tell and could be VERY wrong!

I believe that the group has the vintage correct. Looking at the casting shape, the solid bearings, Babbitt type with the style Staufers(lubricators).
I would we sprites if it were Deere.
The part closest looks like a newer design bearing cartridge, hard to tell and could be VERY wrong!
Could you unscramble please?
I would we sprites if it were Deere

Could you unscramble please?
My bad, auto correct in play! I would be surprised if it were Deere as in John Deere. I saw somewhere it referenced Deere.
Regarding the bearing types, Babbitt is a leaded replaceable bearing usually used for slower moving parts. You will notice in the write up/specs that they reference a replaceable bearing for continuous duty applications. The Staufer is a lubricator, a cap usually filled with grease or lubricant as you turn it.
The style if the casting is rugged and typical for the time primarily because the casting technology was not available to make it thinner.
Hope that helps

Back