• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Macfarlane Lang Biscuits/ McVitie & Price Biscuits Depot in Stechford.

Ian Leggett

master brummie
Do any subscribors to this forum have memories,or worked at the Flaxley Road depot of United Biscuits up to 1965.
The depot was previously at Tyseley. Do you remember the depot manager Maurice Leggett, Dave Davies one of the delivery vehicle drivers. Dave had a son David who went on to become a CID photographer. I am son of Maurice Leggett and have fond memories of this depot as a boy.Anyone out there with memories.
Regards Ian Leggett

Ian, I remember your Dad I worked for UB as a Wholesale salesman in the 80's and thats where our Sales office was, Unfortunately I cannot recall memories as I was always passing through or by the depot. It closed down around 1995?

Hi Bob. I often saw salesman calling in at the depot on my visits there. When I managed a Wrensons branch at Station Road Stechford I would call down to UB to have sandwich lunch with my Dad. Also we had UB salesmen calling at the shops for orders.I had a desire to be a salesman somewhat later (mid 60,s) and wrote to several companies for interviews, UB being first choice of course. But as I was moving to East Anglia there were no vacancies, so I ended up with Spillers Flour.
Do you remember my fathers successor,Mr. Walford, they never really got on that well.
Regards Ian.

Do any subscribors to this forum have memories,or worked at the Flaxley Road depot of United Biscuits up to 1965.
The depot was previously at Tyseley. Do you remember the depot manager Maurice Leggett, Dave Davies one of the delivery vehicle drivers. Dave had a son David who went on to become a CID photographer. I am son of Maurice Leggett and have fond memories of this depot as a boy.Anyone out there with memories.
Regards Ian Leggett
Hi Ian, I remember my brother in law, Big H", Horace Turville working there when I was courting his sister, that would
be middle 1950s, he lived at Howden Place Glebe Farm, sadly no longer with us he died in Heartlands 2003
Bernard ps We were never short of rich tea.

Thanks for that Bernard. You mention Rich Tea.I wonder how many biscuit names we can come up with that were handled in that depot.I will start with Osborne, Marie, Macvita. Can you add to this? Regards Ian.

Back