• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

M5 Motorway 45 years ago.

doug1944

master brummie
I was looking at this old photo I took of the M5 near Lydiate Ash in 1966. What a difference to todays Motorway. No speed limit, no Armco, no central barrier, no lighting, only 2 lanes and only 5 cars in sight !Happy Days.View attachment 65808

Those were the day's . But what a change that Motorway made to our Holiday in the west country,cut travel times from 7 Hours on the old A38 to 2 & 1/2 on the M5 even if you had to get off before Bristol.
You could spend more time getting though Bristol than getting there from Birmingham.

Used to use the A38 down to Torquay/Paignton most Friday nights during the holiday season in the sixties. Usual traffic jams on the Exeter bypass and into Bridgewater on the Saturday morning return, local lads used to sell ice creams to the passengers on the Exeter bypass (free one for the driver). Also remember how dangerous the three lane sections of the A38 used to be, completion of the M5 must have reduced the accident rate considerably.

Used to use the A38 down to Torquay/Paignton most Friday nights during the holiday season in the sixties. Usual traffic jams on the Exeter bypass and into Bridgewater on the Saturday morning return, local lads used to sell ice creams to the passengers on the Exeter bypass (free one for the driver). Also remember how dangerous the three lane sections of the A38 used to be, completion of the M5 must have reduced the accident rate considerably.

That brings back some fond memories. My parents took me to Paignton for our hols a couple of years in the 60's. I think the coach kicked off from Stockland garage around midnight, and then we picked up at The Beaufort and a couple of other places. I can remember stopping at Tewksbury and somewhere else just as the dawn was breaking. The driver bringing us home was always knackered by the time we got to Bridgewater as he had been driving all night on the trip down. Also remember meeting the queues of traffic on the way back, they seemed horrendous even way back then.

Midland Red (I think) night coach from Digbeth to Cheltenham, change at 2.00 am to Black and White Coachways to the West Country. The M5 got as far as Bristol maybe in those days and yes the terrifying 3 lane "overtaking" sections of the A38.

when I toured the WEST COUNTRY around 1957 on my motor scooter (ON L PLATES) got as far as Minehead on the A 38, so shattered had to put up for the night and carry on the next day.
Did over 2000 miles on that Hoilday IT WAS WHEN WE HAD REAL WEATHER WALL TO WAll sunshine for the whole two weeks. "O"THOSES WETE THE DAYS.

Just thought about the first time my dear old Dad drove on the M5. Four of us in Dad`s Triumph Herald 1200, with Dad driving absolutely FLAT OUT ! When asked why he was travelling so quick, he said `Well,you have to go as fast as can on a motorway, don`t you ?`Good job the old Herald only did about 75 mph.

We always used to have an extended family holiday in Exmouth and though the M5 cut down on time I was so travel sick we used to go on the scenic route through Stow on the Wold and Bath - took longer but lovely views and plenty of places to stop. We started using the M5 when I got older and could travel in the passenger seat, but last year we took mom and dad on a nostalgic re-run of our old scenic route, complete witha copy of our route planner supplied by the AA with all the old directions on it - so much more fun than sat navs!!!! Dad reckons the roads were never that bendy when we used to go lol
Sue

That brings back some fond memories. My parents took me to Paignton for our hols a couple of years in the 60's. I think the coach kicked off from Stockland garage around midnight, and then we picked up at The Beaufort and a couple of other places. I can remember stopping at Tewksbury and somewhere else just as the dawn was breaking. The driver bringing us home was always knackered by the time we got to Bridgewater as he had been driving all night on the trip down. Also remember meeting the queues of traffic on the way back, they seemed horrendous even way back then.
That's the service I used to cover when I worked for Stocklands in the sixties when I was employed as a PSV mechanic. Started at 9 pm Friday night, checked coach over and then started local passenger feeder service. Arrived back at Stocklands, transferred passengers for other night services and left for South Devon 11 pm going via the Maypole. First break 1 am at cafe on outskirts of Tewksbury, second break 5 am in Wellington (maidendown cafe) then onto Torquay and Paignton for about 7 am, sweep out and re-fuel ready for 9 am return. Return via Bridgewater where first break taken and Bridgewater relief driver takes over, second break at Tewksbury near river then return to Brum. First Stockland driver back usually took Bridgewater relief drivers back to Bridgewater, no wonder we looked knackered and all for half a crown per hr. "happy days".

my dad and me went mushrooming at Illy, and the old middle ages barn, where dad and me had our sandwiches is where the fast lane of the south bound section of the M5 thunders now, funny from a rural idile in the 50's to never ending traffic now! sad really.
paul

That's the service I used to cover when I worked for Stocklands in the sixties when I was employed as a PSV mechanic. Started at 9 pm Friday night, checked coach over and then started local passenger feeder service. Arrived back at Stocklands, transferred passengers for other night services and left for South Devon 11 pm going via the Maypole. First break 1 am at cafe on outskirts of Tewksbury, second break 5 am in Wellington (maidendown cafe) then onto Torquay and Paignton for about 7 am, sweep out and re-fuel ready for 9 am return. Return via Bridgewater where first break taken and Bridgewater relief driver takes over, second break at Tewksbury near river then return to Brum. First Stockland driver back usually took Bridgewater relief drivers back to Bridgewater, no wonder we looked knackered and all for half a crown per hr. "happy days".

Did you ever come across a driver called Fox? Think his first name was Les, in the early 60's. Ginger hair.

Did you ever come across a driver called Fox? Think his first name was Les, in the early 60's. Ginger hair.
We used to have a part time driver who always covered the South Devon service who's name, if I remember correctly, was Les Fox, he used to be a Teacher and used to work full time during the School holidays. He was always the Driver who did the first trips of the season which used to be double manned (no Bridgewater relief Drivers) this used to also cover Teignmouth before carrying onto Torquay/Paignton. First double manned trip I did with Les cost us a lot of money in lost tips, when we arrived at the first stop I just took all the cases out of the boot, thinking I was being helpful and of course all the passengers just picked up the suitcases and walked away (Les was not a happy man). I soon learnt to ask which suitcase the passenger wanted before offloading it. I worked as a mechanic for Stockland Coaches between 64 and 67 but carried on as a part time Driver until Bowens bought them out.
After thinking about it most of the night the part time driver who was the teacher was called Frank Hirons not Les Fox, sorry.

Last edited:
Have to say though, the queues are still there - we came back up on Easter Monday last year and after taking more than an hour to crawl between 2 junctions 24 and 25 we came off and went cross country at least we were moving lol. Our friend has just come back from Weston and it took him longer to do Weston and up one junction than the rest of the journey at 9pm on a Friday evening.
Sue

Back