• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lupin Street, Aston

O

O.C.

Edit. Unfortunately the photo referred to below is no longer available.

Nice photo of Sarah Haycock nee Knight and Albert Haycock, wearing their Sunday Best they still look poor
Notice Old Albert's Billycock (his hat)
Both lived in Lupin Street in the 1920's

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely photo Cromwell.

I see Albert is also weaing his muffler, so much part of a mans dress in those years. :)

My Great Grandmother was Maria Haycock, Cromwell.She was born about 1847 and her parents were George, a cordwainer and Ann. Other children were Mary Ann and William Henry. They were living in Gt Colmore Street in 1851. Maria maried Henry (Francis Harry) Crompton. They went to New York in 1873 were my Grandfather was born and returned to Birmingham a few years later. That's her on the left outside her shop in Guildford Street circa 1900

Wonderful photo Michael, all the Haycock's where related from that area. In Carl Chinns book
Homes For The People on page 4 there is a photo taken about 1882 of 3 men wearing billycocks two of them are Haycocks so I was told one being Albert Haycock when he was younger.
If Rod thinks its OK as it is a library photo I will put it on
I will scan one of Albert Haycocks Daughter and put it on

Michael, topic I put on a few weeks back Mystery Street (which was Lupin Street) shows Iris Haycock who was the daughter of Sarah and Albert.
The photo of this women with the pram is Albert Haycocks daughter  Caroline Carney, I dont know if Carney is her surname or what, but at the back of my mind I remember they called Albert "Carney"
All a bit confusing till someone can put the record straight
Dont know who's "babby" is  in the pram, as you can see the blue bricks on the floor  photo was taken in the courtyard (note the stockings)
Photo I bought back from the grave as it was nearly all white with image gone and badly water damaged
I have another photo of Caroline as a young  girl coming up next

Caroline Carney as a young girl growing up in Lupin St 1940's

Just looked up this street on google map and it looks as if it is now confined to the history books. Any idea where it was - somewhere Aston/Ashted vicinity.

1950 map
Replacement map
map c 1950 lupin st.jpg

Lupin Street in Aston? Not by a country mile! It crossed Francis Street, in Vauxhall & Duddeston, where I lived as a kid. I used to walk down Francis Street & turn right into Lupin Street, which led into Loxton Street, to get to school every day.

I've found a gt aunt that I didn't know existed. Her baptism states home as Lupin Street (no number stated). Baptism took place at St Matthews, Duddeston. The only earlier address I have for this section of my family is from 1898 - my granddad's baptism in 1898 - 42 Cromwell St. That was at St James the Less, Ashted. At that time, the area came under Aston Manor.

here you go macca...i will look for willis st....what area was that...

astoness

pic 1

Replacement photo

Lupin-Street-14-2-1961.jpg

pic 3..

all these pics are courtesy of carl chinn...

Replacement photo
Lupin-Street-Courtyard-April-1960-.jpg

pict 5...this one includes willis st..
Replacement photo

Nechells-Lupin-Street-Willis-Street-.jpg

pict 6..another one showing willis st..1934..hope these are of use to you macca....

astoness

Replacement photo

Nechells-Lupin-Street-Willis-Street-1934-.jpg

Hello Astoness,

I'd certainly like to see them, better still download them. My Grandfather was listed as living at 110 in 1901

My gt grandmother Minnie Drusilla PAIN (nee MARLOW) lived at 28 Lupin Street from at least 1911 (possibly before) until her death in 1950. She mentions in a letter to her daughter in Australia dated Thursday, 23 February (1949 or 1950) that "it is the election and people have been rolling up all day for the polling at the school opposite" - St Matthews?, where her children attended.

She also mentions a neighbour by the name of Mrs Jackson. I believe that Minnie was a Pearl Button Maker close by to where she lived.

SURNAME INTERESTS: PAIN, MARLOW, RUMBLE

Post 10 PIC 1 The house ( Shop ) in the centre of the photograph was the " Tuck " shop for Saint Matthews School near opposite.

Post 14 PIC 5 The corner door was to the Fish and Chip Shop. To the left is Saint Matthews Church in Willis Street and to the right is part of Lupin Street.

Just browsing and came across this thread. My mother and father lived in Lupin St. from 1925 to 1932. Mom went straight there from Loveday St. with my elder brother. He remembers a sweet shop and thinks it was owned by Dobbs or Dabbs. He also can recall he and my dad sparred with Jack Hood, the boxer [my brother was only three years] - also Jack Hood's sister lived near my mom and day. Miriam.

Just browsing and came across this thread. My mother and father lived in Lupin St. from 1925 to 1932. Mom went straight there from Loveday St. with my elder brother. He remembers a sweet shop and thinks it was owned by Dobbs or Dabbs. He also can recall he and my dad sparred with Jack Hood, the boxer [my brother was only three years] - also Jack Hood's sister lived near my mom and day. Miriam.

Hi
My Dad ( charlie dabbs) lived in Lupin street as previously mentioned. I am not aware of our family owning a shop, however i can remember my dad talking about a boxer living near by. My dad was born 1923 and his brother george 1922. Unfortunately both have passed away now so cannot ask them anything else. My dad joined the royal navy in 1939 but he brother was a bit of a jack the lad, and later became an artist. Would be lovely if we could find some common ground :)

Bev

Back