• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells working mens club

laraine

master brummie
Does anyone remember Lozells working mens club on Witton Road ? Well i think thats what it was called, if i remember it was more or less opposite the Aston Library on the corner of Albert Rd/ Witton Rd. I used to go to the kids Xmas parties that was held there, my grandad was on the committee there i think too, he was Bernard Wallace, another name i remember from there was Peter Philips. Any memories or photos would be good to see thanks

iaraine, yes you are wright, where you say it used tobe. there is now a chemist shop there, kind reguards sidwho

Lozells Workingmens Club is to the left of the tree men standing near by. You can just see the sign.

Also a pic of the Library.

Attachments

• Witton Rd. (4).jpg
    Witton Rd. (4).jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 44
  • albert road library corne witton road (2).jpg
    albert road library corne witton road (2).jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 33
I used to play snooker in there back in the late 70's early 80's when I lived in Aston.

I note with interest the comments re:- The Lozells Working Men's Club & Institute Which was founded in 1895 & was located in Lozells Road before moving to 50 Witton Road in 1899 and finally moving again to 62 Witton Road in 1909.
My Gt Grandfather, Josiah Smith was a founder member and remained active with the club until his death in 1931 ages 93 ( known the the then members as "Daddy Smith") I Have spent some years studding the history of the club and have assembled some 50 pages of A4 script recording my findings.
My Particular interest is in finding a picture or details of the Clubs Fishing shield which was presented to the club in 1912 by one Henry Overbury. My Gt Grandfather unknowingly provided the finance for the shield and finished up spending 6 Months in Winson Green Prison but that is another story which I am willing to share with any interested party.
Does any body know what happened when the club finished in Witton Road? I think it was a general store before it became a chemist.
Were its records & Assets past on to another Working men's club?
Alan Smith

Back