• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lovers Lane Aston

dalehunt, Yes, I remember (Eric) Taylors Toyshop, my late Wife Doreen worked for him late 50's and early 60's after I came out of the RAF, during that period his late mother who lived at 43 Hillside Rd Erdington died, he was very fond of my Wife and he offered to rent us his late Mothers house for 3 years with with the option to buy within that period for a very reasonable cost, which we gladly accepted. to move from a broken down damp back to back at 1/128 Vicarage Rd to a relatively modern large 3 bedroomed semi detached house with garage and large garden (not to mention bathroom and kitchen lacking in previous house) was paradise. I will always be grateful to Eric Taylor who sadly is no longer with us. We lived there from 1962 to 1985, 23 very happy years. Eric

Last edited:
Replacement photos of Lovers Lane

Lovers2520Walk25201.jpg

Lovers2520walk252025B15D.jpg

Regards Stars

Ray
I see you have posted the same photo underneath the one i posted, if this is yours, let me know and i will delete mine no problem.

regards stars

i remember the butchers and the poor pigs.i used to go shopping with my mom and when the blokes were dropping the pigs off i would be getting upset cuz even as a kid i knew what it meant.i lived in vine street and can still see the salvation army marching along.there were two elderly sisters in our street wish i could remember there names they were deaf and when the gas man could'nt get an answer us kids would have to get them cuz we knew how to attract there attention.this was 1966/74.me and my mate would go to the shop for them and they would give us sweets being polite we would take them but when we got home we would get rid of them cuz they were years old.those were the days.

love the Lovers Walk pictures, my dad and his brother were born there and lived the first years of his life there,they were Wilfred and Leonard Barr,l understand the family of Barrs were there before and after they left, they did'nt move very far as they had a corn shop in Park Road.....Brenda

Back