• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Richard Dye

master brummie
My memory of Yates's is you were not allowed to stand at the bar once served, and that they also had a more "posh" room upstairs. The Wine was served in "docks", a few very tasty and potent Australian if I recall.
Jumbo, you are spot on! Great recall.

Williamstreeter

master brummie
Does anyone remember The Greyhound in Holloway Head.
It was a Cider House, I talking rough cider which you drank through your teeth.
It was a strong brew and they used to keep a Shillelagh behind the bar for those people who didn't know when to leave when they'd had enough !
Is it still there ?

I remember The Greyhound very well , back in the 60's it was run by a man named John Pope . A real gentleman , our head office was up by St Thomas Garden of Peace . I had an occasion to call into the Greyhound and after the pleasantries were over John asked me what I would like , I immediately said that a chap that was obviously down on his luck was before me , whereupon John jokingly pulled from under the counter an Indian slimming club brandishing at the chap , he served the chap who took it all in good part and sat down and then got on with my order a pint of rough and a salmon salad sandwich . I first got to speak to John in The Gough Arms just up the side street from the Greyhound , he used to drop in there on a Wednesday night his night off , he used to off down to the La Dolce Vita for a few games of roulette . His Father was reputed to have been the last brewer of cider in Birmingham , I haven't checked that out , so I don't know if it is true or not . Good pub though the mods used to use it in the 60's and then hippies etc great sandwiches too . I don't know if if it's still there.

Williamstreeter

master brummie
My memory of Yates's is you were not allowed to stand at the bar once served, and that they also had a more "posh" room upstairs. The Wine was served in "docks", a few very tasty and potent Australian if I recall.

This was another favourite haunt of mine , they had a great couple of snooker tables upstairs chalk suspended from the ceiling on strings true USA fashion . My main reason for writing this post is one Saturday night during the 60's , my girlfriend , plus a mate and myself , walked out of the Windsor and straight in the back door of Yates's . There was a male member of staff standing just inside the door having a smoke break , I recognised his face but I hadn't got a clue where from , he knew my name telling me to go to the far end of the bar by the front door . We had to wait a couple of seconds then he appeared asked me what I wanted and I asked for three docks of Australian white , he placed the glasses on the counter and asked for 1/-6p or seven and halfpence in todays money . If my memory is correct I think the correct price at the time was about half a crown a dock . I've felt guilty ever since due to the fact I never tipped the barman , three drinks that should have been nearly ten bob for less that two bob .

raz ullah

master brummie
There was also the Top 10 Bar and The Grapes Pub which i used to go to before going to Rebeccas with my mate Colin Hunt We took two girls from Wales one night and they couldn't believe it had three floors different to the clubs back in Wales we had a good night Raz

Williamstreeter

master brummie
There was also the Top 10 Bar and The Grapes Pub which i used to go to before going to Rebeccas with my mate Colin Hunt We took two girls from Wales one night and they couldn't believe it had three floors different to the clubs back in Wales we had a good night Raz

Raz I remember The Grapes also , not familiar with Top 10 Bar . What years are you talking about ?

raz ullah

master brummie
Raz I remember The Grapes also , not familiar with Top 10 Bar . What years are you talking about ?tt
Hi Williamstreeter i use to go to these pubs from 68 to 72 not so much the Top 10 Bar but manly The Grapes on a Friday night and then over to Rebeccas to dance the night away At the time I was going out with a lovely girl in 73 Jane from Shirley Solihull i bought her a nice leather handbag from Oasis , well i gave it to her in The Grapes and she was over the moon and she gave her old one to a girl in the pub and she was over the moon as well , have you still got it Jane if you read this . Good Times Raz

Last edited:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Hi Williamstreeter i use to go to these pubs from 68 to 72 not so much the Top 10 Bar but manly The Grapes on a Friday night and then over to Rebeccas to dance the night away . Good Times Raz

was the grapes just a little way down from new st station...i also remember the gilded cage

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks john i dont think the grapes is there now but i went in quite a few times...gilded cage had a female dancer in a cage...happy days

lyn

David Howell

This is a list of pubs around the Bull Ring and the licencees.

GRAND TURQ, 34 Bell Street corner of Lease Lane.
Manager;T.F. Fletcher 1924 T.P. Collier. 1944

BLACK SWAN HOTEL, 5, Bromsgrove Street.
Manager; Mrs E.B. Evans.1924 N.F. McCoy. 1944

AUSTRALIAN BAR. 48 Bromsgrove Street.
Not there in 1924 Jn. Rickerby 1944

NEW INN HOTEL.191-192 .Bromsgrove Street.
Manager; H.L. Jeacock 1924 A. Clemm. 1944

CASTLE & FALCON. 109 Digbeth.
Manager; A. Russell 1924 W.J.T. Wiley 1944

WAGON & HORSES. 14 Edgbaston Street.
Manager; R. Barlow 1924 Closed Down 1944

THE COMET 5 High Street.
Manager; W.E. Nelson 1924 Closed Down 1944

LION & LAMB. 17 High Street.
Manager;W. Brown 1924 Closed Down 1944

BROOK'S VAULT. 51 Jamaica Row (it was originally known as THE CITERION)
Manager; F. Holliday 1924 F. Brown 1944

PLOUGH & HARROW. 81 Jamaica Row..
Manager; S.R. Fisher 1924 F.W. Doran 1944

WOOLPACK HOTEL. 8-9 Moor Street.
Manager; F.W. Butler 1924 J. Blower 1944

SWAN HOTEL. 148 New Street.
Manager; Mrs A. Butler 1924 Closed Down 1944

PHOENIX HOTEL. 3 Park Street. (it was originally known as OLD PHOENIX INN)
Manager; P.Vincent-Bennett 1924 E. Freeman 1944.

THE BOARD INN. 7 Phillips Street.
Manager; Mrs L. Lord. 1924 A. Garnett 1944

SPREAD EAGLE. 14 Spiceal Street.
Manager; Samuel Rich 1924 Closed Down 1944

STEVENS BAR 149 New Street and 89 High Street,top of the Bull Ring aera. Closed, for trading after permitted hours on the 25th March 1958, upon expiration of lease.
Manager; R.E. East 1924 W.E. Allport. 1944 (an M&B House).

SMITHFIELD ARMS 47 Jamaica Row.
Manager; George Ameghino 1924 Mrs D.E. Caldicott 1944
(an Ansells House)

CROSS KEYS 91 Jamaica Row, corner of Sherlock Street.
Manager:G.J. Bunn 1924 J.W. Jesson 1944 (an Ansells House)

ST.MARTIN'S HOTEL corner of St.Martin's Lane & Jamaica Street.
Manager;C.H. Mitchell 1924 E.C. Cox 1944
( M & B Hotel,very popular. It closed in 1944)

BOARD VAULTS;56 Worcester Street, corner of Bell Street
Manager;F.R. Andrews 1924 A.Summerfield 1944
(an Ansells House)

BIRMINGHAM ARMS: 1 Moet Row.
Manager; L.A. Chantrill 1924 Mrs Emily Stokes 1944.
(an M&B House)

the TALBOT: 24 Moat Lane
Manager: Ted Lippey 1924 T.W. Gibson 1944

:)
The above was extracted f.rom a book by Victor J. Price
"The Bull Ring Remembered"
My Father (Peter Howell) was one of the if not the last landlord of the Birmingham Arms in Moat Row This was for a period of time beginning late 1969 or early 1970 (I was at Uni at the time) The family lived on the top floor and I only stayed there on the odd occasion during the holidays. All my brothers grew up there and one or two still have their Brummy accents. It was the first job my father undertook after retiring from the RAF and being ex military he ran a pretty tight ship and clamped down hard on any trouble makers. They had a weekly jazz night in the first floor club room 'The Salutation Stomp' and I got hear some amazing musicians. My mum also worked behind the bar and was at the time going through a platinum blonde phase. The picture below shows my parents as they looked at the time along with one of my brothers and the pub's guard dog which was a Rhodesian Ridgeback called Simba. They later went on to run the Springvale Tavern in Willenhall which was all boarded up when I last drove past about 11 years ago like so many pubs today.

Attachments

• Trefor-Elsie-Peter-and-Simba.jpg
    Trefor-Elsie-Peter-and-Simba.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Springvale Tavern.jpg
    Springvale Tavern.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 32

pauljon

master brummie
Does anyone know what the pub was called in Shadwell Street Birmingham, it was just along from St. Chad's Boys School.
When I knew it it had been turned into a house. My friends grandma lived there. I think it was double fronted and an entry in the middle. On one side you went into the house and on the other side went down to the cellar, where we used to play. (1940's)
I seem to remember that it had been white washed and there was a light in there.