• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lord Clifden

its been a matter of weeks for me ha ha....lets hope i get used to it ..
and thanx for the offer of help,sum how i reckon il be needing it x

lets hope i learn quickly then..ha ha ive only been on here for a matter of weeks..
i got a feeling i will be needing sum help of somekind ha ha.x

thank you for that..my dad used the norton a hell of a lot..
ive got a video that sumone made in the mid 80's of the norton,the bagot and the digby...my dad and my 2 brotheres were in the vid of the norton..
my dad used the norton from 1977 to 1998,and at one point my brother worked behind the bar,x

thank you for that..my dad used the norton a hell of a lot..
ive got a video that sumone made in the mid 80's of the norton,the bagot and the digby...my dad and my 2 brotheres were in the vid of the norton..
my dad used the norton from 1977 to 1998,and at one point my brother worked behind the bar,x

What was your Dad's name?

my dad's name was ken heath..he was a big man,.
my eldest bro is called ken..he worked behind the bar..and there was steven,he drank there a lot to..esp cos we only lived 5 mins from the norton.x

"Having a drink in "The Lord Clifden", one evening, many years ago, We bumped into our old Form Teacher, Jack Pozzi, and we bought him a drink. A great teacher and a Gentleman to boot. Met my old History Teacher in "The Talbot" in Winson Green, a few years back, He was so Buckled, he could hardly speak. To think this is the man who gave me Detention once, cause I could'nt remember who won The War of The Rose's.
Tom, the late Jack Pozzi used to be my form teacher at Blessed John Wall R.C School )(it is now St John Wall). I left in 1965. Jack later moved to Holte Comp. (I think that is what it was called).
I used to sometimes see him in The Calthorpe.
A great teacher and a lovely man, he will be long remembered.

I'll take back what I've said on this thread in the past. Out back at the Lord Clifden is great:peaceful:

yes froth we all know now that you love the clifden lol...as ive said before its great to see it has become so popular...the food is good too...and where else can you go out back and play table tennis....brilliant..

lyn

lord clifden taken around the 60s /70s at a guess

img530.jpg

Nice old photo of The Lord Clifton. Sorry, no date. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 58
Viv
Looking at the surrounding businesses. It is impossible to read the landlords name on the licence notice, and James Barwell was there from the 1890s till after WW2. However Jelf's refreshment rooms disappeared after 1940, so it is pre that. The Hadley family occupied no 35 Gt Hampton St spot for a long period, but up to aboutww1 it was Hadley Bros, then John Hadley around 1924-25 (Kellys and electoral rolls. ) and M.F.Hadley from about 1927. Therefore picture is c1927-1940.

brillient photo viv...never seen that one before...judging by the certain look it has also the quality and clarity of it i would think its a public works dept shot....

lyn

Not dramatically changed on the outside. But look it seems to have acquired a golden goose! Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 37
The Lord Clifdon has won West Mids pub of the year. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 13
well done to the lord clifden.....to find a pub up and running in that area is unusual...to find one winning west mids pub bar of the year is astonishing..its come a long way since the days i worked there but still very much a friendly local pub:)

Last edited:
froth ive come to the conclusion that if it keeps a very old pub open then so be it...still gets plenty of the old locals in there though...

froth ive come to the conclusion that if it keeps a very old pub open then so be it...still gets plenty of the old locals in there though...
I give you that Lyn. Still don't feel comfortable in there now. we'll leave it at that:p

Hi mike
Nice to see the picture again of the old lord Clifton and I see you managed to mention
The jelfs refreshments rooms ,so that explains to me ,that's why my mother and her entire family
Of the jelfs spent a lot of time in there at the, Clifton along with other relatives of the jelfs
And how they parted in there till the early morning because they lived next door
And I know there was other family of the jelfs running tea rooms around there as well
Not far from them and there shops and I know they was very close a and long time friends
With the Hadley's
And Hadley's are relatives of the Jaratt family of Lichfield red up the terrace as they used to call in and see our mom and the jarratts are still friends with our family today
They lived at number 2 we lived at number 5
Many thanks Alan,, Astonian,,,

My neighbour Charles Harding and I used to go to The Lord Clifton one night a week in 1965/1966.His uncle was the gaffer but I cannot remember his first name .We used to roll up on my 1965 Lambretta 200GT .What memories.

hello derek welcome to the forum and thanks for your memories of the lord clifden...as far as i know it is still doing very well:)

lyn

Back