• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Field Cyrus and Mary

Del-boy

proper brummie kid
I am trying to trace the relatives of people who knew my grandparents - Cyrus and Mary Field. They lived at 42 Serpentine Road, Harborne between 1920 and 1952. They had 5 children:- James, Doris, Edna, Barbara and Diamond. Neighbours names that I can recall are Harry & Isobel Minchin, Reginald & Anne Brett, William & Sarah Lester, Abert & Isabel Dutton. In particular, I was hoping someone who was friendly with the family might recall what happened to Barbara. The story goes that she had a nervous breakdown and ended up in Rubery Hill Hospital after her fiancé was killed in WW2. This was probably about 1945.

There is a tree on Ancestry (not that I always believe them) but it seems to indicate that Barbara died in Rubery Hill in 1993. If that is the case her death certificate should indicate that as her place of death or, if she died in hospital, her usual address.
NameBarbara Margaret Field
Death Age73
Birth Date28 Aug 1920
Registration DateAug 1993
Registration districtBirmingham
Inferred CountyWest Midlands
Register NumberP53A
District and Subdistrict0611P
Entry Number22

Last edited:
Barbara is listed on the 1945 eroll as being at home with Cyrus and Mary but is not on the 1950 eroll.

I think that is her death - the dob on the 1939 reg is actually the 20th August 1920 not the 28th but I have seem errors in dates before.

Did you know she was in the land army in WW2?
NameMiss Barbara Margaret Field
Employment Start Age20
Birth DateAbt 1921
Employment Start Date24 Apr 1941
Employment End Date5 Jan 1942
Street Address42. Serpentive Rd, Harborne, Birmingham.
Employment PlaceWarwickshire, United Kingdom
OccupationHome Duties

Barbara Field land army.jpg

Wow overwhelmed with your replies master brummie. I had found the land army card and as can be seen it says transferred to bombs 20 April 1941. Later it looks like she was placed into reserved bombs 5 Jan 1942. I couldn't help but wonder if the note below is meant to say "Doctors certificate produced" and therefore wondered if this was the start of her mental problems and as you say she was on the electoral roll in 1945, but not 1950? There was a history in the female line of the Fields of mental illness, which was usually triggered by some sort of stress or personal catastrophe and can well imagine that her parents would have tried to deal with on their own initially.

The writing is not clear but I thought that said "Trans Cambs" meaning she was sent to work on the farms in Cambridgeshire. A lot of land army girls ended up there.
Then the second entry is "Resd" - resigned?
I don't see why a land girls would have anything to do with bombs.
Have you obtained her death cert to see where she died?

Last edited:
Yes that was my initial thoughts as well, but then the writing is none too clear and I began to wonder if it was bombs!! I know she died in Rubery Hill Hospital in 1993. I haven't as got the death certificate. I will try and see if there is anymore information perhaps in Cambridgeshire as you say.

I've moved this thread to the surname interests section and altered the title of the thread, so that interested members will be able to more easily find it.

Back