• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Looking for rellies of lily baker b 1880 birm

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks if any of our members are researching lily baker b 1880 birmingham i would love to hear from you as i have in my possession some of her family history and that of 2 of her children and would love to return it to its rightful owners..i will of course need to be sure that the connection is correct so that it goes to the right family...

lyn

Last edited:
img634.jpgimg632.jpgalways a shame i think when family history gets detached....thought you would like to see the chambers miscellany hard back book that was presented to lily baker in 1888 who attended summer lane school...she would have been just 8 at the time..the other 2 childrens books i have belonged to lilys daughters irene cook and joan cook address in books 383 new john st west given to them in 1929 off a teacher and the other was off the grandmother given in 1916..wish they belonged to my family they need to be treasured...

lyn

Last edited:
Great thing to do to reunite things back to the correct family, hope you manage to find the family

thanks dwilly i hope so too...if not i will keep the above book as a bit of history of summer lane school...

lyn

BRINGING THIS TO THE TOP ]View attachment 86986View attachment 86985always a shame i think when family history gets detached....thought you would like to see the chambers miscellany hard back book that was presented to lily baker in 1888 who attended summer lane school...she would have been just 8 at the time..the other 2 childrens books i have belonged to lilys daughters irene cook and joan cook address in books 383 new john st west given to them in 1929 off a teacher and the other was off the grandmother given in 1916..wish they belonged to my family they need to be treasured...if any of the baker or cook family would like the 3 books returned to where they belong please contact me..

lyn[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
bringing this thread to top as i still have not found the baker or cook family

lyn

I hope they can be reunited I have some Bakers in my family so will take a look.

ok wendy..hope they do find the right home as the 2 childrens books have the childrens young handwriting and scribbles which makes them more personal..

bringing to the top in the hopes rellies of lily baker and her 2 daughter irene and joan cook will make contact...would dearly love to pass on their family history to them

lyn

Hi,
I have a Lily (Lilley) Baker born about 1878 in my family tree. She married George Wheeler but I cannot find any other trace of her after 1911 / 1913. I did put a posting on a forum discussion about this separately but still no luck. No link to the surname Cook, but she may have remarried.

Jane

Jane,

This appears to be the George & Lily living at 1 / 9 Arley Place, Tower Street, in 1911 with four daughters, Florence 9, Doris 8, Ellen 6 & Eva 2. A quick scan of the Passenger Lists doesn't reveal any obvious matches travelling anywhere. Have you done any checking of the Electoral Rolls after this date?

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Yes, that's correct. George then moved on to Rowton House and the girls went to a convent, but I lose track of Lily / Lilley

Jane

7 years on and i still have 3 old childens books belonging to the baker/cook family still hoping i can pass them onto any surviving family

lyn

It appears that Irene married late and had no children. Joan possibly had 2 daughters, the eldest (Jennifer, died 2019) coincidently married another Cook and had 2 sons.

They had at least 2 other sisters and possibly another 4.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Bez
It appears that Irene married late and had no children. Joan possibly had 2 daughters, the eldest (Jennifer, died 2019) coincidently married another Cook and had 2 sons.

They had at least 2 other sisters and possibly another 4.

thanks MWS i shall keep the books safe just in case someone turns up

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
its been almost 8 years since i first posted about the old books i still have..still no one has come forward to claim them but i am ever hopeful so just bringing to the top again :)

lyn

hi folks it has now been 11 years since my first post and so far i have had no success in any family coming forward to claim the 3 books i have so i have now decided to do some serious research to try and track down any living descendants...as we all know the longer time elapses the more difficult it can be to trace direct family so then we have to start branching off to find any cousins etc...of course like everything the books have a value but i would never sell them or put them in a charity shop because to my mind morally they are not mine to dispose of..i am just the custodian hoping the books will find their way to where they should be ..i will of course keep you updated of any developements....fingers and toes crossed

lyn

Last edited:
Back