• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Looking for any information including street and Milatery

:pHi all I am new to this site. I am just learning my way around. I started to do my Family tree a few months ago and am now doing it for my mothers side and my dads. I have found quite a bit of information however due to the 1911 cencus not being on public view I can not find out vital information for both my parents My dad did not know his dads family so would not know if he had any uncles and aunts. How can I find this information out.

The name of my moms dad was George Thomas Woolley He was born at 191 Hunters rd Birmingham his mothers name was Dora Crowton and his dads name was Thomas he was living at 117 Hospital street I can not find these address on the 1901 cencus so would assume that they were both built after this time.Everyone Knew him as Tom he served on the HMS Glendower in the 2nd world war if any one can find any information out about him I will greatfull.

My other Grand dad was Harry Woolley he was born in 1895 and served in the 1st world war he was drafted to the front March 1915 and served at Nauve Chapelle hill Yeps and Festubert he was gased and wounded at Loos he holds the 1914-1915 Star and the General service Medels and Victory Medel He lived at 2 court 6 house Vaughton street Highgate Birmingham Can anyone let me know what book would be good to buy to find pictures of him getting these medels.
His story is that he married below himself and his family cut him off however when He died they allowed him to be buired with his Parents Henry and Emma.

Hi Wendy43,

It is unlikely that you would find a book with a photo of your Grand Dad receiving his medals as they were given to all servicemen.

See this page for some good information: https://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad6.htm

As far as your Dads family you may find some clues here

https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

depending on the time frame. From 1911 or so the maiden name of the mother was recorded on the index so if he knows that information you may be able to pick up uncles and aunts. The above link is still a work in progress so if there is nothing there as yet there may be something in the future.

Doug

Wendy.....can you give us as much detail about your dad as poss, birthdate, mothers maiden name, fathers name....we might then be able find his family.....there is one horrible period which makes research very hard....1901 to 1911....but not impossible.

Doug is correct about obtaining a photograph of your grandfather receiving his medals....if you do find one....I will let you pick my lottery numbers:),

Just a quick tip....when asking for help or info...try to give out has much detail as you can....names, ages, dates etc...it does help

updated information

:)Thanks for your quick responces please see the updated information below.

Grandad 1 George Thomas Whyley Born 1909 Hunters Rd Birmingham
Mother Dora Crowton Married Thomas Woolley 1908 address on certficate is Frankfort street I am not sure which one of them livid there.
When son George was Born Thomas registered at 117 Hospital st Birmingham Can you find out if this was an Hospital or House.
George served on the HMS Glendower during the ww2 can I find any records of the crew.

Grandad 2 Harry Woolley Born 1895
Married Ellen Zilpha Parkins 1916

Father Henry Woolley
Mother Emma

1st Child Born of Harry and Ellen was Elizabeth Lillian 1916 at st marys Loveday st Maturnity Hospital. Registered as living 1 Back 11 Bath Street Birmingham.

My Grandmother middle name is very uncommon for the times then.

When I go into the 1901 Census records I can not find a Harry with perants names of Henry or Emma. My dad thinks he hed 1 brother and 2 sisters.

Much Thanks Wendy

Wendy....

Lets see if I this correct or not....is your grandfather George Thomas Whyley....?...was his mother Dora Crowton?..if so then his father was Thomas Whyley born 1889, his parents were...Thomas Whyley born abt 1858 and Emma nee Birch or Swinfield born abt 1858, in 1891 living at 28 Berners Street Lozells...along with their children...Ada Elizabeth 9, Ann Maria 6, Leah Clara 11, Lilly Agnes 4 and Thomas 2..

By 1901 Thomas senior had died (1901) leaving Emma with the above children plus Gertrude aged 9 and Ernest aged 4...this time they were living 110 Wells Street.

Your Grandfather had at least one brother Norman J, born 1913, and a sister Daisy born 1915.

Wendy.....I have found a twist in your tree......I believe that your grandfather's brother and sister had a different father to him?...Thomas died in 1912?...Dora then remarried to a Alfred Pitt in 1915.., I couldn't find any more children born to Dora after this date....I cannot be one hundred per cent certain without certificates, but it is worth investigating

Last edited:
Thomas Whyley with thanks

:)HI JKC

Thanks for your responce this seems to confirm what I have found over the last few days. I have my Great Grand parents Thomas and Dora wedding certificat

It shows his dads name as Jerry Whyley and her dad as Frederick Crowton and 2 witnessess as Maud Whyley and William Crowton. After speaking to my mom she seems to remember that she over heard the name Pitt once when she was young and it was linked to goverment in some way.

Thanks again for you Help Wendy

Wendy....I have given you some incorrect information......the parents of your grandfather was George and Elizabeth....and not Thomas and Emma...I cannot find "Jerry" Whyley on any census....and can only find one Maud and Thomas Whyley in the 1891 census....apart from that I think everthing else could be correct.....I have yet to find the Whyleyfamily on the 1901 census....I will keep trying.

If the parents were George and Elizabeth then this could be them in 1891 with Daughter Maud, but no son Thomas?:
Address: 4 Hockley P Ford Street

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
WHYLEY George Head M M 30 Carpenter(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
WHYLEY Elizabeth Wife M F 28 Warwickshire - Birmingham
WHYLEY George Son - M 10 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
WHYLEY Harry Son - M 8 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
WHYLEY Maud Dau - F 2 Warwickshire - Birmingham

JKC your first post seems right with Thomas and Emma with son Thomas, what made you think it was incorrect?
These two families are probably related with Maud being a cousin to Thomas and a witness at his wedding(Bridesmaid).

Could 'Jerry' have just been a nick name that Dad was known by?

I do hope I haven't confused anyone...

Pom :angel:

Last edited:
Hello Wendy welcome, it would be safer not to show your e-mail address just use your name its safer, in the meantime enjoy the Best Forum on the Web and most friendly folk anywhere.:)

Maud Whyley

:rolleyes: Hi Alf

I have requested that my username be amended hopefully this will happen over night I am new to these chat sites and am learning as I go along.

I have spoken with my mother and she thinks that Maud was my grandads Aunt who she thinks brought him up.

My grandad being Geoge Thomas Whyley (All these Thomas are getting me confussed.

Thanks to all again.

Up date Maud Whyley

Hi JKC and Pom

I have spoken with my mother and she thinks that Maud was my grandads Aunt who she thinks brought him up.

My grandad being Geoge Thomas Whyley (All these Thomas are getting me confussed.

Thanks to all again.

:rolleyes: Hi all thanks for all help up until now I am abit confussed with date and I think I may have confussed you all so I am going to try and simplif things a bit
My Grand father was George Thomas Whyley

His Dad was Thomas Whyley age on wedding cert is 22 date of marrige is 1908 so I would assume he was born around 1886

His Wife was Dora Crowton age when marride was 20 I would assume she was born in 1888.

They were married at St Edwards church in the parish of Birmingham Warwick.

From the 1891 Census Thomas was aged 8 this would indicate that he was born in 1883 could their be a differance like this between cencus and wedding cert.

Thomas was a Carpenter

Thanks again Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Is this your Thomas in the 1891:

[FONT=&quot]Civil Parish: Birmingham[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ecclesiastical parish: St Mattias[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Town: Birmingham[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]County/Island: Warwickshire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Country: England[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Registration district: Birmingham[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sub-registration district: St George[/FONT]

RG12; Piece: 2391; Folio 56; Page 15

Address: 28 Berners Street

Thomas Whyley, Head, Married, 33, Stone Mason, Warwickshire, Birmingham
Emma Whyley, Wife, Married, 33, Warwickshire, Birmingham
Leah Clara Whyley, Daughter, 11, Scholat, Warwickshire, Birmingham
Ada Elizabeth Whyley, Daughter, 9, Scholar, Warwickshire, Birmingham
Ann Maria Whyley, Daughter, 6, Scholar, Warwickshire, Birmingham
Lilley Agnes Whiley, Daughter, 4, Scholar, Warwickshire, Birmingham
Thomas Whyley, Son, 2, Warwickshire, Birmingham (Note age)

I can not see a Thomas Whyley born 1883 in the 1891 census (may be mis-indexed of course).

On the wedding certificate in 1908 what is recorded as the name of Thomas father?

Doug

Last edited:
Procat......You have made the same mistake as what I did.....look up
Tom Whyley on the 1891 census, then you will find the correct family.

Greetings JKC,

OK, can see Tom Whyley in the 1891.

Looking back through this thread I cannot see anywhere that Wendy has given the names of Tom's parents. How did you ascertain they were George and Elizabeth?

Doug

Doug.....Wendy said the her grand dad was looked after by his Aunt Maud, also on the wedding certificate of Thomas and Dora one of the wittnesses was Maud Whyley.....another point Thomas died in 1912 aged 26....which puts his birth around 1886...and if you check out freebmd you will see two Thomas Whyley's, one born in 1883 and the other 1886...., and the Thomas thatwas born in 1886 to George and Elizabeth seems to match up with Wendy's grandfather.....but like I have said many times before one can never be hundred percent certain until proof is obtained..

Think you have cracked it

:)Hi Both

Thanks for your interest in my thread. I have sat reading the replys over and over trying to work out the connection. see what you think of the below.

Geroge Whyley Carpenter (could this have been shortend to Jerry)
Daughter Maud aged 2
Wife Elizabeth

Thomas Whyley Stone Mason
Son Thomas age 2
Wife Emma

On young Thomas wedding cert his dads name is Jerry Whyley (Carpenter)

I think these familys are connected I think that when Thomas senior died that young Thomas either moved in with George and Elizabeth or he spent a lot of time with them and Maud did not bring him up but was a sauce of stabilaty for him.

would be intereasted on you comments

Thanks again to you all

It would explain why my Grandad was called George Thomas.

In 1942, HMS Glendower was a Gunnery Training Ship in Pwhelli North Wales. Not a ship at all but a camp. After the war it was sold to Butlin.....the rest is History....(google it)

Hi Wendy,

I do have a bit of a concern with your theory.

In 1901 Thomas(son of Thomas & Emma) is living with his mother at 110 Well Street as JKC mentioned in an earlier post. Given he was 12 at that time he would probably have remembered the name of his father when he married. It is possible that your theory is correct of course.

The 1911 census may be interesting when it is released.

Doug

Hi again Wendy,

JKC previously found the following information on Free BMD:

(The births appear to be children of Thomas and Dora)

Births March Q 1913
Whyley Norman J Mother Crowton Aston 6d 1141

Births March Quarter 1915
Whyley Daisy Mother Crowton Birmingham 6d 570

Deaths September Quarter 1912
Whyley Thomas Age 26 Birmingham 6d 44

Do you know, is the death your Thomas or do you have information he was still alive after this date? Obviously, if he died in 1912 Daisy is not his child. She is possibly the daughter of Alfred Pitt who Dora appears to have married in March Quarter 1915.

Doug

Last edited:
:) Hi JKC and Procat

I think you are correct that Thomas Junior would have remembered his fathers name when he married. Then George acted as his father as his father at his wedding then he would have signed the register.

I do not know if it was my Thomas who died in 1912 their was a wisper when my Grandad died that he had died young like his Father.

Like JKC as said it will be intereasting when the 1911 cencus is released wish they would hurry up and give a realease date.

Thanks again for your help Wendy

Jkc Procat Diane

Hi all
I hope this as worked I have added 2 attachments 1 photo of my grandad Geroge Thomas Whyley I hope someone recognises him and another of his parents wedding cert I am intereseted about his grandads name I think it reads Jerry Whyley however I can not find any records of a Jerry Whyley in any of the census
any help would be greatly appriciated.
Kind regrads
Wendy
View attachment 12324

View attachment 12325

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy having looked at the wedding certificate of Thomas, father's name is George not Jerry.

In the 1891 census at 4 Hockley Place, Ford Street, All Saints:
George Whyley, 30, Carpenter
Elizabeth Whyley, 28
George Whyley, 10 scholar
Harry (?), 5
Maud 2

I have found George Wyley aged 40, a carpenter, in the 1901 census. He is a prisoner at Winson Green prison. But can't find Elizabeth or Thomas or rest of family.

Hope this helps.

Judy

Hello Wendy

Sorry, but I don't know how you can find out about prison records, but perhaps if you contact the Archives Dept at Birmingham Library they may be able to help. Maybe someone else on the forum may know better.

Good Luck.

Judy

George Whyley

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Hi Judy could you let me know what site you found the information on for George Whyley being in Winston Green Prison.

I have been on lots of sites since you told me but can not find it.

Regards Wendy

Hi Wendy,

He is on Ancestry at ref: RG13; Piece: 2853; Folio: 158; Page: 14

Note he is recorded as George Wyley. Note spelling of the surname.

Doug

Hello Wendy

Yes, Procat is right, that's where I found him on Ancestry in the 1901 census at RG13; Piece: 2853; Folio: 158; Page: 14.

Judy

Back