• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Long gone shops

Steve de grey

proper brummie kid
Trying to remember long gone shops. Can remember paynes shoe repairs.Wimbushes bakery. Timothy whites chemist. Wrensons grocery. Anymore I've forgot

Toys R Us
Poundworld
BHS

Littlewoods
Tandy Electronics
Focus
Freeman Hardy Willis
Beatties Model Shops
Blockbuster
C&A
Jane Norman
MFI
Rumbelows
Fosters
Chelsea Girl
Phones4u

I think they started as a pork butchers. I know they made pork pies, sausages and other pork related goods. Apparently the Black Country Museum has a Marsh and Baxters shop.

jan ive never seen a marsh and baxters shop there so i am just wondering if its one of the new buildings they are bringing to the museum

lyn
I think they started as a pork butchers. I know they made pork pies, sausages and other pork related goods. Apparently the Black Country Museum has a Marsh and Baxters shop.

jan the marsh and baxters shop is not at the museum yet its going to be one of the buildings re built there for the new 40s to 60s street...cant wait

lyn

I thought some HMV were still open although they closed a lot.
Think Radio Rentals operate via a website only - at least they did at one time but shops have gone.
Canadian firm Sunrise Records emerged as the buyer of collapsed music chain HMV last year after the company collapsed into administration. However the deal came with a number of closures which have now been revised......

Today we announced the permanent closure of Radio Rentals stores, however Radio Rentals' business will continue to operate via our website. We are still here to manage your customer needs including any existing items you have on rent with us. In fact, Radio Rentals' online store is available 24/7 for your convenience.

All these clothes shops that I shopped at one time or another:

Chelsea Girl, High Street
Etams, Bull Street (same premises as Lewis Separates but later?)
Lewis Separates, Bull Street
Van Allen, High Street
Tiffany’s boutique, Temple Row
Bus Stop, New Street
Crowthers, Corporation Street
C&A Corporation Street (gone in this country, still going abroad)

Just goes to show how volatile the rag trade was/is.

Viv

In the 1940s 1950s, Living on Moat Lane, in Yardley Brum26 Mom would shop every day, at the stores down the street from us. Fresh everything every day, NOW going a GOOGLE street view, the very same stores are now houses, shops all gone. Of course, Tesco or some such not far away.

Last edited:
I remember the Midlands educational had an escalator in it

The Midland Ed was originally in Corporation Street, roughly opposite where C&A was, if I remember rightly there were only stairs in that shop. The art department was in the basement - I loved going down there, it had a wonderful smell. Other than that, I think there was just the ground and first floor.

Later they moved up the road towards Lewis's in that newer block near where Oasis market is and that shop did have escalators.

The Midland Ed was originally in Corporation Street, roughly opposite where C&A was, if I remember rightly there were only stairs in that shop. The art department was in the basement - I loved going down there, it had a wonderful smell. Other than that, I think there was just the ground and first floor.

Later they moved up the road towards Lewis's in that newer block near where Oasis market is and that shop did have escalators.
i remember the old store i would go in there and laskys for a mooch

All these clothes shops that I shopped at one time or another:

Chelsea Girl, High Street
Etams, Bull Street (same premises as Lewis Separates but later?)
Lewis Separates, Bull Street
Van Allen, High Street
Tiffany’s boutique, Temple Row
Bus Stop, New Street
Crowthers, Corporation Street
C&A Corporation Street (gone in this country, still going abroad)

Just goes to show how volatile the rag trade was/is.

Viv
Chelsea Girl on a Saturday was always a " must visit " on a Saturday after spending lunchtime in the Tavern in the Town, sad really. I guess it was Birminghams equivalent to Londons Biba but perhaps not on the same level.

Chelsea Girl's loud music seems to be their trade mark as it was the same at their Bournemouth shop. I wasn't sorry to see them go, infringing upon everyone's peace!

Maurice :cool:

Back