• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodging House, Rea Street, Birmingham

Brock

master brummie
Hello all,
I have a death certificate of an ancestor dated 1914 showing that he was of "Lodging House, Red Street, Birmingham".
Can anyone enlighten me on where Red Street used to be please?
Also, is the "Lodging House of Red Street" known about by anyone?
My ancestor seemed to have fallen on hard times ~ I believe that he & his wife had parted & that he wasn't a monied person so was wondering whether the Red Street lodging house might have been a hostel of sorts.
If anyone can shed any light for me please it would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Checking through the 1913 Kellys, there is no such street as Red St, though there is a Red Hill in Kings Norton and in Yardley. Both are now listed as Redhill Road, and can be found on Googlemaps

hi brock that would have been my first thought as well but as mike said in the previous post i also have never heard of red st in birmingham so this one is a bit of a mystery...do you happen to have your rellie on the 1911 cenus as the address may give us a clue??

lyn

The other thing is Brock does the death certificate give a district or parish?

Hello Brock, could it be Rea St. Digbeth?
rosie.

A very distinct possibility Rosie, a poorly formed "a" could like like a "d" and there was a Model Lodging house at 109-110 Rea Street in the year of the death of Brock's ancestor.

1911 census for 111 & 112 Rea Street Lodging House

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-10_19-41-32.png
    upload_2018-8-10_19-41-32.png
    854.5 KB · Views: 18
Back