• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

location graves / death details for lost family

svsaunders

proper brummie kid
Hey,

I am trying to find out details of what have happenned to my paternal great grandparents James Thomas Luke Saunders and Sarah Ann Shute who got married at St Johns, Ladywood on the 23/05/1897. I know that they have various children however I cant seem to find any record of their deaths or where their remains where laid to rest.

Ancestry have been searched as well as I am able to yet still not record seems to exist which is really quite frustrating. It is believed that they stayed in Birmingham for the remainder of their days yet no further records or any photos of them seem to actually exist which leaves a pretty large "blackhole" in my family history.

Can anyone offer some help or advise on what I should do or perhaps what the next step is for me ? I have shared their marriage certificate here which gives me the details I am working on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/odrrrsz8vzrikq4/Saunders - Shute Marriage Certificate V2.BMP

I am not sure where you looked on Ancestry but there is a possible death of a James Saunders listed in 1926 (the birth year is given as abt 1872 and my experience tells me that birth years from the 1800s are very rough).

There is also a Sarah Saunders who died in 1962. Without sending for the certificates it is hard to know if they are right or not.

Birmingham cemeteries will search their records but I think they charge. Alternatively you can search yourself on the micro films at Birmingham library but that will be easier when the new library opens.

Janice

Cheers Janice,

I saw that record however I dismissed or because I thought the year was to out to be accurate however appreciate what your saying about the birth year being rough, would 6 years out be too rough or is it possible?

I have emailed the church they got married in to see if they could offer any advise etc.

Anywhere else i could look?

Cheers

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Hi svsaunders & Welcome, your GGgrandparents James & Sarah Saunders age 21 & 20 respectively on May 1897 marriage ( if the ages given not porkie pies) But if James died early-ish then Sarah may have married again therefore death would be under latter married name,,, do you have them on the 1901 and 1911 censii ? Do you have a birth certificate(s) of their children, the last one would be better to work from when continuing searches for their Deaths Best regards John Y

Cheers, I have them on both census documents along with most of their kids. I also have the death certificate on the last child however that does show the mother a being Sarah Melinda Saunders rather that Sarah Ann Saunders which is a little strange.

The person's correct as it's a boy called Victor Saunders who died after 1 day, this is the person my father is named after which is how I know I have the correct person. Would Sarah Ann Saunders have changed her middle name to Melinda or is Ann some kind of deviation to Melinda?

Thanks

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Hi have just posted on your other request,, Victor born 1917 not the last child according to FreeBMD, the last child is Harold born June 1924 mothers maiden name is Shute,, are there two Saunders brothers marrying two Shute sisters ?,,, Sarah (Shute)Saunders would have been 46 in 1924, late but very possible given birthrate & ages in those after WW1 days.

John - you clearly know what your doing ? can I ask where you found this information please as I am just using Ancestry

Also do you think that Sarah Melinda and Sarah Ann are the same person ?

Back