• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Locarno, anyone have any details on the Sunday People 5s and 3s dominoes?

brianthelion

master brummie
I wasn’t living in Birmingham in 1980 but remember trekking to Birmingham with my brother to play in a national domino tournament. I’m sure it was at the old Locarno night club. I know it was 1980 as Ian Wallace moved from Coventry to Forest that week as we were reading it in the paper queuing to get in.
With loads of trestle tables staging the games the noise was incredible. My brother was very good at 5s and 3s whilst I was less so and dropped a right …..to mean we just lost in the last 16 or last 8. He wasn’t happy.
Cant find any info on the internet and was wondering if anyone else has any recollections?

I wasn’t living in Birmingham in 1980 but remember trekking to Birmingham with my brother to play in a national domino tournament. I’m sure it was at the old Locarno night club. I know it was 1980 as Ian Wallace moved from Coventry to Forest that week as we were reading it in the paper queuing to get in.
With loads of trestle tables staging the games the noise was incredible. My brother was very good at 5s and 3s whilst I was less so and dropped a right …..to mean we just lost in the last 16 or last 8. He wasn’t happy.
Cant find any info on the internet and was wondering if anyone else has any recollections?
hi brian i have never heard of the domino tournament but hopefully someone may be able to help...

lyn

The only daytime event I can remember going to at the Locarno was a Kung Fu competition - that would have been late 70's.
The club must have hired out for various events during the day.

Back