• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Living by Henry Green

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This book, recommended by Evelyn Waugh in 1930, deals with the subject matter of an iron foundry in Birmingham. Someone may be interested. Viv.

90203BCE-5C4F-4169-BE6C-B187E586EC3D.jpeg

Attachments

• 0146F9E7-D258-47D7-AED1-11477737015A.jpeg
    0146F9E7-D258-47D7-AED1-11477737015A.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 5E936659-4E98-4E73-9A49-FBA6BBB84CF2.jpeg
    5E936659-4E98-4E73-9A49-FBA6BBB84CF2.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for mentioning Henry Green, he wrote nine novels, but earned his living working in the family firm H Pontifex & Sons, starting on the factory floor and becoming managing director eventually. He manages to empathise with the workers to a remarkable degree, for an Eton and Oxford aristocrat. His novels are experimental, not least in their prose style. I'd recommend him for anyone who enjoys Virginia Woolf and who is not put off by modernist fiction with a wider social range. He worked in the Auxiliary Fire Service in the war. Party Going is a favourite. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Green

Thanks for mentioning Henry Green, he wrote nine novels, but earned his living working in the family firm H Pontifex & Sons, starting on the factory floor and becoming managing director eventually. He manages to empathise with the workers to a remarkable degree, for an Eton and Oxford aristocrat. His novels are experimental, not least in their prose style. I'd recommend him for anyone who enjoys Virginia Woolf and who is not put off by modernist fiction with a wider social range. He worked in the Auxiliary Fire Service in the war. Party Going is a favourite. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Green
I read it a long time ago, when books like this were available in public libraries.

Back