• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Little Green Lane School Wyndcliffe School Small Heath

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
From the British History online site. Viv.

LITTLE GREEN LANE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Small Heath.(27) Little Green Lane Bd. Sch. opened 1878 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(22) Accom. 1,313 B, G, I.(1) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) One of the first 3 woodwork centres for Birm. bd. schs. opened here 1892.(23) Altered 1901. Enlarged 1903–4. Bd. of Ed. demanded minor improvements in premises 1912. Altered and reorganized 1929 for SB, JM, I. SB closed 1936. Damaged by enemy action and closed 1941. Part of building used as a Special sch. and remainder reopened 1948 for JI. More classrooms repaired 1950 and sch. divided into 2 depts.(21) Accom. 1961: 15 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)

image.jpeg

LITTLE GREEN LANE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Small Heath.(27) Little Green Lane Bd. Sch. opened 1878 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(22) Accom. 1,313 B, G, I.(1) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) One of the first 3 woodwork centres for Birm. bd. schs. opened here 1892.(23) Altered 1901. Enlarged 1903–4. Bd. of Ed. demanded minor improvements in premises 1912. Altered and reorganized 1929 for SB, JM, I. SB closed 1936. Damaged by enemy action and closed 1941. Part of building used as a Special sch. and remainder reopened 1948 for JI. More classrooms repaired 1950 and sch. divided into 2 depts.(21) Accom. 1961: 15 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)

View attachment 123502
I was at this school from 1965 to 1972 when it was known as Wyndcliffe. I enjoyed every minute of it, mainly due to a wonderful teacher called Mr Fairbrother.

Lovely to hear from a former pupil Lynn. It's not a school I've heard of before. Thanks for posting. Viv.

My husband was there between 1956 and 1961. Funnily enough, yesterday we were with some of his friends from that time.

Think we need to seperate out the two schools into two threads.

Lady P - is that the Small Heath school you're referring to ?

Mallyb2 - thanks for your comments, don't worry about the confusion as its flagged up that we need to distinguish between the schools. Viv.

found a pic of Little Green Lane infants school...I was there about 1951 for about 3 years until we left to live in Alum Rock.....pic attached

Attachments

• img090.jpg
    img090.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 47
found a pic of Little Green Lane infants school...I was there about 1951 for about 3 years until we left to live in Alum Rock.....pic attached
I've got a photo (somewhere!) just like that, taken about 1966. I loved every minute of my time there in the Infants and Juniors, very happy memories of a wondeful time.

I was at Wyndcliffe Infant and then Junior schools from 1961 t0 1968. It was always known as Wyndcliffe in my time rather than Little Green lane School. Lots of happy memories. I have quite a lot of photos and some momentos.

We had 4 men working at Wyndcliffe School in the 80's or was it the 90's for the life of me I can't remember what the job was, but if it was anything like other jobs we did at schools in the district then it was pulling down old classroom ,lath and plaster ceilings that were over a 100 years old so they could be replaced with plasterboard, believe me there was no nastier or dirtier a job going.

Small Heath Wyndcliffe  School.jpg

I was at Wyndcliffe Infant and then Junior schools from 1961 t0 1968. It was always known as Wyndcliffe in my time rather than Little Green lane School. Lots of happy memories. I have quite a lot of photos and some momentos.
I was there from 1965 until 1972. I haven't any photos. Would you be able to post yours on here?

View attachment 123502
Dear Viv, please could you tell me where this photo comes from? Many thanks!

We had 4 men working at Wyndcliffe School in the 80's or was it the 90's for the life of me I can't remember what the job was, but if it was anything like other jobs we did at schools in the district then it was pulling down old classroom ,lath and plaster ceilings that were over a 100 years old so they could be replaced with plasterboard, believe me there was no nastier or dirtier a job going.

View attachment 135919
Hi Phil, I might have already asked (sorry, am knee deep in photo requests!), but please could you tell me where this photo comes from originally? Many thanks!

Dear Viv, please could you tell me where this photo comes from? Many thanks!
The photo I posted was for sale on eBay but it was some time ago.

You asked Phil a question too. I’m afraid Phil has passed away so, unless another member recognises the photo, we won’t be able to tell you the original source.

Viv.

Back