• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Link for prisoners sent away to Aus on ships etc.. Passenger Lists

:angel: What a good site Elizabeth, one I'm sure I'll end up using if not for myself but for others.

Chris :angel:

Hiya Chris,
I found that and saw all those links and lists - it will sure help those who had prisoners, emigration, orphaned children etc.. so many useful links in there - I book marked it as I am sure I have a prisoner etc.. somewhere in tree lol :crazy2: or missing unexplained people that may show up somewhere in there on a link?

We never know what comes next in our trees do we?? lol maybe I will have a use for this site someday? :2funny:

My g-g-grandfather Alexander McKay is not listed in the link.  But he was transported to Tasmania for stealing a gold watch.  After lots of work effort he was granted land in the south of Tasmania.  He was involved with "relocating" Tasmanian aboriginals.  Tasmanian aboriginals were really annihialated by the English settlers who (sorry!!!!) shot them like "monkeys or other wildlife".  It was the same on the Aussie mainland - I heard a radio program where a man rang up quoting writings from his grandfather's time when they went out "shooting kangaroos and blacks".  Dear oh dear!  Now here in Tasmania we have refugees from the Sudan.  We recently went to a concert they put on in our suburb.  They offered food and the concert and the whole hall was packed.  They ran out of food.  The concert was great and I couldn't stop jiggling along to their music as the ladies wriggled and jiggled to the beat of their drums.  Tassies are I hope williing to accept these people into their lifestyle - I am!   Hopefully they will be as welcome as once my dad was when he got off a ship in 1925 and heard "oh no, another bloody pommie".
He came to know that that didn't mean he was not accepted - it was just how Aussies joked.

About my convict ancestor - A rare book "The Native Tribes of Tasmania" by J. E. Calder (1875) says:

"Mr Alexander McKay, from whom I received the outline sketch of the above narrative is now a settler of Peppermint Bay, D'Entrecasteaix Channel, where he has resided more than 30 years.   He is about 68 years old, but hale and strong in an uncommon degree, the natural consequence of a life of activity, and a constitution that has never been abused by unhealthy indulgences.  I have known him well for about three and forty years.  We are very old bush chums and have walked some thousands of miles together; and I can say truly of him that is the best bush companion I have ever had.  Full of anecdote, no one knows more of the old times than  he...."

So there you go - I go back about 6 generations here in Tasmania.

Cheers Kate

Back