• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Centenary Square developments 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it that ice skating places is a temporary structure? Or will it remain and get another purpose?

The ice rink, big wheel and pub / bar etc closes Sunday January 12.

All the structures will be removed and Centenary Square will go back to the way it was before they were erected.

Ice Skate Birmingham closes in January 2020. So temporary. Until they return next October or November!

Between The ICC and The REP you can see the new 2019 paving meeting the last bit of 1991 paving towards Cambridge Street. I'm not sure why they haven't done this section, unless it's to do with the Symphony Hall foyer refurb.

Ell,

That's the only trouble with big paved squares when it's raining, they look so dismal, and lack somewhere to shelter if you want to get from one side to the other. We have a largish one in Neapoli, but at least there are shops on three sides, so movement is still possible without getting soaked to the skin even when it is tipping it down! :)

Maurice
I agree, they do look dismal when raining, and we get a bit of rain to say the least!!!!! And it would be lovely for people to sit and reflect as well as some where for people to just rest if necessary. Why doesn't this kind of thing get taken into account, surely the planners must think of these things?????

Everywhere seems to get paved; part of planners dreams I guess. Even many front gardens are now car parks, paved or concreted. The run off has to go into drainage systems and subsequently into rivers. none ever gets to soak naturally into the earth. My driveway is gravelled, which whilst thick does enable rainwater to soak away. The gravel has another advantage: my dog hears visitors (or intruders?) as the walk on it. :laughing:

I bet your dog loves that, being able to detect visitors must be easy!!!!

I can see the relevance in places being open plan, security must be a reason, but somewhere for people to rest and just sit and enjoy the space that they are in would be good.

Main priority now is Ice Skate Birmingham. Once it's gone in January the square will return back to normal. Apart from the Symphony Hall foyer works.

I think there is places to sit around the new reflecive pool. But the Big Wheel and Star Flyer is there now.

I bet your dog loves that, being able to detect visitors must be easy!!!!

I can see the relevance in places being open plan, security must be a reason, but somewhere for people to rest and just sit and enjoy the space that they are in would be good.
My gardens are walled and hedged, but do have a path and a driveway to the garage, with lights. Bushes and trees do hide it a little. Geese are the best guards, more so than dogs, and they see intruders not just hear them. They also will attack if felt threatened.

Everywhere seems to get paved; part of planners dreams I guess. Even many front gardens are now car parks, paved or concreted. The run off has to go into drainage systems and subsequently into rivers. none ever gets to soak naturally into the earth. My driveway is gravelled, which whilst thick does enable rainwater to soak away. The gravel has another advantage: my dog hears visitors (or intruders?) as the walk on it. :laughing:

The paving used now is in many cases porous to allow rainwater to soak through, not sure if the Birmingham stuff is though, might be an idea to ask them.

My gardens are walled and hedged, but do have a path and a driveway to the garage, with lights. Bushes and trees do hide it a little. Geese are the best guards, more so than dogs, and they see intruders not just hear them. They also will attack if felt threatened.
yes, geese, they are good at guarding. That's what I would have if anything. Someone I lived near rescued a goose and used to take it for a walk, never had to worry about it meeting a dog, it knew how to look after itself! Seriously off topic, sorry.:dizzy::dizzy:

There is places to sit, if you see in this photo I took in July 2019. In front of the REP and Library of Birmingham.

While Ice Skate Birmingham is on, the new stone seating area is still able to be used for a seat. December 2019.

Just visit the Library instead Monday to Saturday. The ICC mall will be closed over Christmas Day and Boxing Day and at New Years Day.

Public transport might be best at this time of year. Especially now that you can get the tram right to Centenary Square. Not sure on the reliability of the trains though. But the buses are ok.

Some bus routes use Cambridge Street (the Hagley Road services mainly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back