• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Life in Birmingham 1775 ?

The author of that site, J M Jones, is a hero of mine. I believe he was headmaster of George Dixon's School, and he has done some wonderful research and documentation. Everything is very readable and exciting. He must have been a brilliant teacher.
His studies of Aston Manor are also on the net, I can't remember where now.
Peter

I found this site very interesting particularly the war years Thank you

I seem to remember John H, or someone posting a link to that site not long after I first joined the forum five years ago.
Search for History of Birmingham at www.bgfl.org.
Here you can quickly download a compressed self-extracting file.
(While you’re there take a look at the collected works, though not quite all, of John Morris Jones (Run a Search), laboriously digitised, maps and all, by Clinton Davies (to whom thanks) and made available by myself via Robin Ball (to whom thanks) to a wider audience
However in the mists of time I'd forgotten about it, thanx for reminding me judy once again of that brilliant site.

Pom

Pom, many thanks for the link to the main bgfl.org site. I am sure it will give many hours of fascinating discovery :)

Judy

Thanks Judy, that's an interesting site, I've shown it to other ppl interested in birmingham.

I have searched for one but as bgfl no longer exists so far I have only managed to access it via webarchive and the "pictures" don't show on there only text.

Back