• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
if we go back to post 183 photos 2 .3 and 4....they show a smaller ansells building ...does anyone know if this was actually part of the main ansells brewery which i think was further up the road ?? i just found it interesting

lyn
Hi Lyn yes it was a part of Ansell it was used storage of bottle beer in crates

Smudger

master brummie
hi smudge i didnt realise there was a vyse street down that way...there was a vine st...i think buttons factory was in portland st actually it may still be there

lyn
Vyse Street was on the right just after the railway bridge ( coming from Gravelly Hill ) There was also a pub on the corner.

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
1) Holborn Paper was in Holborn Hill between Pub Swan & Mitre and the canal.
2) Scrap lorries are in Thimble Mill looking towards Holborn Hill Jnt.
3) Picture of Aston Railway Bridge isn't Church Rd jnt it's Holborn Hill
4) The picture with the advertising boards with PAY I don't think its Lichfield Rd I think its Aton Road North and the
building on the left is Midland Counties Dairy.
5) The picture with the BP garage is the Jnt of Portland Rd with Lichfield Road opposite Matty's

Pick with the Mini bus and white car is Wainwright St jnt with Portland Rd on the Jnt use to be a small island with a stone horse trough sited on it

cookie273uk

master brummie
Smudger, there were 2 pubs by the railway bridge, one my Dad used (and me occasionally) called the Britaina, commonly known as the 'Brit'. I forget the other one. Eric

Amanda58

proper brummie kid
There was a Fredrick Smith’s and Sons Brewery in Lichfield Rd Aston. My mother and Aunt worked there in the offices. As women they were never allowed into the Brewery. When it closed my Mother was given her typewriter and many items . She will be 91 soon and still has items such as beer mats, ashtrays and playing cards all with the Smiths trademark on. They also had a chain of pubs around Birmingham. I will ask her about this and can add more info later.

Amanda58

proper brummie kid
My Mom is having a sort out and she is looking for a book she has about Smith’s Brewery . It closed down in 1957 if we find it I will let you know

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
There was a Fredrick Smith’s and Sons Brewery in Lichfield Rd Aston. My mother and Aunt worked there in the offices. As women they were never allowed into the Brewery. When it closed my Mother was given her typewriter and many items . She will be 91 soon and still has items such as beer mats, ashtrays and playing cards all with the Smiths trademark on. They also had a chain of pubs around Birmingham. I will ask her about this and can add more info later.

wow amanda how wonderful that your mom still has so many items from her time working at smiths they are worth hanging onto...would love to see them as and when time permits...thanks

lyn

Amanda58

proper brummie kid
Would love to show them to you once the lockdown is lifted. I am not sure how to post a private message. So when I can I will take some photos and put the on here. She also has an evening mail clipping of her cycling to work and the hoses from the fire service after a bombing raid so might be of interest .

Richarddye

master brummie

brummy-lad

master brummie
This picture of Lichfield Road is intriguing, it is certainly as stated 5/104 & 6/104 (or 106), the entries are right compared to the 1952 map.
The large building behind these houses on the 1959 map was presumably demolished prior to 1969, the building that can be seen at the far left (on the photo) could be Vicarage Villas on Vicarage Road (sounds so posh but I expect a far cry from any Vicarage Villas if built today).
There is a dome with a weather vane at the back of the houses, it could be Aston Hall but appears much closer than Aston Hall would be to the Lichfield Road. Any thoughts?

Attachments