• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lichfield Rd Aston

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
Please can anybody help I'm researching the bombing that took place during WW11 at the junction of Victoria Rd, Church Lane, Lichfield Rd, and Sandy Lane.

Dr Goulds was on one side of Lichfield Rd, across the road was shops which was a flattened Fish & Chip shop, Tobacconists , Post Office there was possibly more.

Has anybody got any picture of this area before the bombing and any info on the damage to shops and houses at this junction.

Houses in Church Lane, Victoria Rd, Lichfield Rd and Pugh Rd. was also flattened.

The date of this raid would very helpful.

My reason researching this is that I spent that night in a reinforced cellar in 2 Sandy Lane behind Dr. Goulds which housed two very Victorian sisters named Hill, I lived at number 2 and Gran lived at 6, none of the these properties received any damage.

We was extremely lucky and that day my Dad took Mom my Aunt Betty, myself to evacuate to Hagley, Worcestershire in cottage next to the Prince of Wales Pub on the Stourbridge Rd..

I was only about four at the time but I remember the next morning seeing the junction with a huge pile of flattened builds across the tram lines, and a yellow AFS aux. fire pump still damping down with rising steam from the fire which must have ragged during the night.

The day was a lovely sunny day without a cloud in the sky, but a nasty smell of burning wood and leaking gas.

Local people was so calm and got on with what had to be done, I remember my Gran telling me the chickens was safe with egg for breakfast.

People were so wonderful helping neighbours who hadn't got much themselves but shared it with the victims of this raid.

Thanks Ray

Please can anybody help I'm researching the bombing that took place during WW11 at the junction of Victoria Rd, Church Lane, Lichfield Rd, and Sandy Lane.

Dr Goulds was on one side of Lichfield Rd, across the road was shops which was a flattened Fish & Chip shop, Tobacconists , Post Office there was possibly more.

Has anybody got any picture of this area before the bombing and any info on the damage to shops and houses at this junction.

Houses in Church Lane, Victoria Rd, Lichfield Rd and Pugh Rd. was also flattened.

The date of this raid would very helpful.

My reason researching this is that I spent that night in a reinforced cellar in 2 Sandy Lane behind Dr. Goulds which housed two very Victorian sisters named Hill, I lived at number 2 and Gran lived at 6, none of the these properties received any damage.

We was extremely lucky and that day my Dad took Mom my Aunt Betty, myself to evacuate to Hagley, Worcestershire in cottage next to the Prince of Wales Pub on the Stourbridge Rd..

I was only about four at the time but I remember the next morning seeing the junction with a huge pile of flattened builds across the tram lines, and a yellow AFS aux. fire pump still damping down with rising steam from the fire which must have ragged during the night.

The day was a lovely sunny day without a cloud in the sky, but a nasty smell of burning wood and leaking gas.

Local people was so calm and got on with what had to be done, I remember my Gran telling me the chickens was safe with egg for breakfast.

People were so wonderful helping neighbours who hadn't got much themselves but shared it with the victims of this raid.

Thanks Ray[/QU

Ray, l know what you are referring to, as my g/parents lived at 61 Church Lane..but can'nt remember the date, I do remember dad saying there was a family in a cellar by the corner of Church Lane that were killed when the bomb was dropped...think it was a landmine....all l remember was the bomb sites on the corner of Church Lane and Victoria Road, that were their for years.....Brenda

Hi Brenda.

Thanks for your info, you are right a number people died in Church Lane and I believe in Pugh Road.

I'm following this up with research with 1939 censor and any deaths about October 1940 would you like me to inform you if I find anything.

Regards Ray

Hi Brenda.

Thanks for your info, you are right a number people died in Church Lane and I believe in Pugh Road.

I'm following this up with research with 1939 censor and any deaths about October 1940 would you like me to inform you if I find anything.

Regards Ray
Ray, that would be nice looking forward to your findings....l also remember dad saying the father was the only survivor of that tragic bombing at the top of Church Lane.....Brenda

Back