• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Library Of Birmingham Web Site

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Correct, Lyn, I well remember the photo card index - so people now have no access to photographs? That's an absolute disgrace considering the vast amount of money that was borrowed and spent. Oxford Libraries had a digitised library of 30,000 photographs online before I moved to Crete in 2005, and I recently came across a small Welsh town, more of an overgrown village, whose library had put hundreds of photographs online. There's simply no excuse.

Maurice :cool:

superdad3

master brummie
I speak as a Chartered Librarian with 40 years experience with Birmingham Library Services. I remember being sent on a course, must be 30 years ago!, on digitalising library photographic collections and coming back all enthusiastic. Sadly the powers that be and the Local Studies Dept. didn't share my interest & enthusiasm and nothing happened. This was a time when funding streams such as Heritage Lottery were becoming available. It was a time when other library authorities were digitalising their photographic collections and putting them on line. Birmingham sadly has missed the boat!

As Maurice said, There's simply no excuse".

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Correct, Lyn, I well remember the photo card index - so people now have no access to photographs? That's an absolute disgrace considering the vast amount of money that was borrowed and spent. Oxford Libraries had a digitised library of 30,000 photographs online before I moved to Crete in 2005, and I recently came across a small Welsh town, more of an overgrown village, whose library had put hundreds of photographs online. There's simply no excuse.

Maurice :cool:
no excuse at all maurice...the people of birmingham were promised so much from the new library but instead all we got was what i can only say was what meant to be a show stopper for incoming visitors in other words we were sold down the river...

lyn

wam

master brummie
There are many problems with digitising photographs and Birmingham library will have more than most. A lot of people have given their collection of photographs to the library but, in many cases, they don't own copyrights. For example, a community organisation might have a lot of old photographs taken by their members of organisation events. They could also have copies of pictures taken for particular newspapers and cuttings from the same papers. If the group folds up or simply doesn't have the space anymore, they give the whole lot to the library. The library can't digitise the pictures because they don't own copyright. They also have to rely on whatever index they were given with the pictures. So if you go to the library wanting to see a particular picture you have to know where it is or rely on whatever index there might be out there.
As I remember it the old card indexes led to pictures in various albums that were themed collections. You might try asking the counter staff about that at some time. If they've kept the albums you might be able to work it out from there.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wam
I think the most terrible thing is that you use the word "if". For any responsible library ther4 should be no doubt that they were kept