• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Library Of Birmingham Web Site

aston lad

master brummie
Does anyone know if the library web site has closed down ?, I somehow cannot find a link to it anymore ?....

oldMohawk

master brummie
Following the disappearance of the Shoothill images I had a look at the Birmingham Library website and was distinctly unimpressed. There seem to be pages with lots of white spaces and looking for local images just seems to get lost in more non-useful pages. I tried one of their links to something called 'Calmview' ... not much use.
I have previously seen their 'Themes' pages but they don't seem to use screen space efficiently.

As a comparison I tried a test with the Manchester Library.
A simple well laid-out page appeared ...
Scroll down to the search box and enter trams ... 50 tram images are listed with dates etc.
Click on any thumbnail pics and they enlarge.

If you don't want to look at trams type the word Oldham and a 933 pics are listed.

It was quick and efficient with more useful information per screen page.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Following the disappearance of the Shoothill images I had a look at the Birmingham Library website and was distinctly unimpressed. There seem to be pages with lots of white spaces and looking for local images just seems to get lost in more non-useful pages. I tried one of their links to something called 'Calmview' ... not much use.
I have previously seen their 'Themes' pages but they don't seem to use screen space efficiently.

As a comparison I tried a test with the Manchester Library.
A simple well laid-out page appeared ...
Scroll down to the search box and enter trams ... 50 tram images are listed with dates etc.
Click on any thumbnail pics and they enlarge.

If you don't want to look at trams type the word Oldham and a 933 pics are listed.

It was quick and efficient with more useful information per screen page.
well phil even before the foundations to the new libaray was laid i was predicting that this library would not work and would not be fit for purpose...in the few years since it has opened i see no reason to take back my words..wish i could...but repairs have been needed to various parts of the building...staff cut in half...opening hours cut in half including the archives dept only being open every 4th saturday( unless things have changed)...how ridiculous is that...we were definately sold down the river with this one..just my own opinion but we were promised so much from the new build and in reality we got so little..

lyn

Last edited: