• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lennox Street

Nice photo of Grove Terrace lennox St My Aunt Glad and Uncle Jack Kirby lived three houses up the grove on right hand side
my cousin Valerie was there daughter in the first house on the right of the grove there used to be an old washing mangle with the washing line attatched as kids we used to swing on it until one day the mangle fell and hit my cousin Val on the head, thanks for the memory we knew the Bostocks and the Frisbies and the Hancocks wonder where they all are now?

My Gran Esther Sewell was born at 3 back 35 Lennox Street in 1890. She was the youngest of 10 kids & orphaned by the time she was 8. She was brought up by her sister Flora Hughes nee Sewell & before she married, they all lived with Flora & Elijah & their children in Ninevah Road.

I lived down the back of the yard attached to where the horses were kept (1950s,) when my mom was young the milk men stabled their horses there and sometimes when they let the horses go they would come down our entry by mistake. The corner shop was known as Gladys'. Many of my family lived in lennox street - Dad drank in the brook

Hi
I lived in Lennox street from 1943 till 1964 at 38 my parents were Joe and Ethel Kirby I had a sister Betty, my dad used to manage the football team from the Brook tavern when I was old enough he used to take me in the pub mainly men ha ha how things have changed I remember the horses, my friend Janet Weir used to go out with a lad who lived near the old stables, my nan Jarvis lived in grove terrace next to the Brook Tavern, what was your moms name I will ask my sister if she remembers her or you.

my mom was Gertie Jennings with brother Charlie Jennings she married my Dad Arthur Sitch and lived 1/87, my aunt and uncle , Violet and Dick Mott also lived in Lennox Street opposite side from the brook, I also had aunt Ada and uncle Les with son john Onions and Les' sister Ethel and husband Joe( I dont think they had children. Good family friends in Lennox Street were the Wards in Jubilee Terrace, the Embly's in the same yard and Maud and Percy Phillips further up by Gladys' shop. I left in 1958 after Dad died and mom remarried but still remember lots of things surrounded by family and friends who were like adopted family.

great to see some more lennox st memories posted hope the pics bring back memories for you...

keep em coming folks..

lyn

hi jannash you will only be able to see the pics ive posted from post number 143 onwards...these are re posted pics...as it says at the top of the page the forum was hacked and we lost all our images last sept/oct so dont worry you are not doing anything wrong with the thumbnails...

lyn

Hi Jannash, my memory is awfull but hadnt we used to know each other, i think you mabe on one of my photo's of the coronation the whole street seems to be on, I will try and post photo.
With regards to your aunt and uncle the Motts, my friend Janet Weir is still in touch with Carol Mott her twin brother sadly passed away but her older brother Dennis is still alive.Lennox Street was good except for the tiolets up the yard used to be so afraid of going there in the dark ha ha we used to jump of the high wall at the entrance to Grove Terrance my cousin Valerie was hit on the head with one of those old fashioned iron mangales that was in the yard we were swinging on the line which was attached unfortunatly she is now suffering with a brain tumour, but I swear it was that mangle ,good friends in those days every one was called aunt and uncle even if they were'nt related no locked doors in those days.

Yes I heard about David as I am in touch with Dennis thru friends reunited went to funeral and saw Carolo but had no chance to speak had lost touch with my Dads family. Carol and I were close when I was small and my brother Peter and David were inseperable. Yes there are lots of happy memories playing all day in the yard with friends and Christmas parties doing the rounds of all the relatives and friends in the street, we packed so many people in those tiny houses. Yes I still remember the coronation party it rained all day and we partied under the cover of the wide entry way opposite the entry where I lived. I had a set of skittles I played with them all the while, simple pleasures those days!

Would love to know what numbers these were. we lived 1/17.This is exactly what it was like at the back. The brew house on the left by the two bins Right next to that the outside Loos. I can feel the cold just looking at this picture.

Were you near to Farm St.? where my parents owned Bramwells fish & chip shop ? . I knew a few kids in Lennox St what is your name.?

Jean.

I worked at lucas,s great Charles street, I went to Harry Lucas school my brothers also went there Steven and David clinton

I lived in lennox street and I used to help a old lady out do a bit of shopping and washing up I was about 11 would have been about 1962 her name was mrs Clayton

do you remember me george embley and we lived at fanny trot

what year did you live in Lennox St name rings a bell so does Fanny trott my mom and dad were Joe and Ethel Kirby lived at no 38 sorry took so long to reply but lost my sister Betty in October.

Hi just going through the site havent been on for some time I lived in Lennox St no 38 my gran and uncle and aunt lived next to Brook tavern in the terrace and yes I knew Wes still do met up with him at a funeral a few years ago and we are now on facebook what was your grandfathers name might have known him I have a brother in law in Oz at Bunningyong Melbourne
I am sure Wes would like to hear from you if you give me your name I will pass it to him
best wishes Gladys Thorpe nee Kirby

Have been reading through this thread with great interest. Can anyone remember a Pub/Snooker Hall called The Fountain, run by Italians? This is a request off my father in law who used to frequent this "house of ill repute" in his youth (1933/4/5). He had many a happy afternoon playing Snooker there all at the great expense of 3d. He assures me it was NOT a house of ill repute whilst he was there.
He was born in Guilford Street in 1919 and lived there until he was married.
jimbo

1950s lived by wall in digs by yard with horses remember names sitch robert and janet
me and my sister carol lived there till mid 50s

Have been reading through this thread with great interest. Can anyone remember a Pub/Snooker Hall called The Fountain, run by Italians? This is a request off my father in law who used to frequent this "house of ill repute" in his youth (1933/4/5). He had many a happy afternoon playing Snooker there all at the great expense of 3d. He assures me it was NOT a house of ill repute whilst he was there.
He was born in Guilford Street in 1919 and lived there until he was married.
jimbo

hi jimbo the only fountain pub that i know of was in farm st which was off guildford st....could this be the one ??

lyn

The Fountain, Farm Street 1855 - 1966. I can't say if it was the same pub for 111 years but it's a possibility.

Attachments

• Hockley The Fountain Farm St.jpg
    Hockley The Fountain Farm St.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 27
Back