• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lennox Street

Thanks Wales. You have a fantastic selection of Lennox Street photos. I will have to look at the censuses again to try and find out where McCarthy's buildings came in the street, and try and match it with the numbers. Thanks for posting these.

Judy

judy there is another way. i asked if any one had a street map of villa st and back came what i was after. its not an ordinary map but this one marks out every house and building and even has the names of terraces on it. you may want to try that. i will track back and find out who sent it to me cant remember at the min. will get back to you in a bit.

judy go to nursery rd/villa st thread. it was Ray King who put the map on for me. have a look you may want to ask him on that thread. hope it helps lyn

I think Michael's is the 1:2500 scale map. What you really need is the 1:500 scale, which was available for large towns such as Birmingham. This would be in the centraL LIbrary, but older maps on this scale are unfortunately are no longer available for sale anywhere at present.
mike

Thanks for the tip Wales. I have sent Ray an IM and asked if he can help with a large scale map.

Michael - many thanks for posting the map showing Lennox Street. I do already have this 1905 one, but was hoping to get in closer if possible. I am looking for McCarthys Buildings, but appreciate that this probably was just a row or couple of houses and won't show up on the map. I am going to check the house numbers again on the census to see if I can find it that way.

Judy

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very interesting Michael. The reference to Mrs Elsie McCarty at No.45 is exciting, although I am going back 100 years before the Kellys 1946. Still you never know!!

judy are you looking up the mc carty family or the the macarthys buildings. wales.

i cant see it michael. i know judy is looking for mccarthy buildings i just wondered if she was also researching the mccarty name.

hi judy. i reckon there would have been a little plaque on the front of a couple houses saying mccarthy buildings. you can still them today. maps will only give you the name of groves. avenues and terraces etc. if you can find out the number of lennox st where they lived there may be a chance one of my pics may be what you are looking for. wales.

Oops!! Egg on face! I have just checked out information on McCartys Buildings and found out that I have the wrong street - sorry all!!

My gt.grandparents, Samuel and Agnes Hanson, were living in McCartys Buildings, NEW JOHN STREET WEST in 1868, but had moved to Gough Terrace, Lennox Street, by 1871.

Sorry I had got mixed up with the streets, I should have checked out the birth certificates before and not guessed, but thank you so much for all your help Wales, and also Michael as I see you found a John McCarthy in the directory.

Michael - Thanks again. I see there was a James McCarthy living in New John Street West in 1867. I would think this is definitely a possibility. I will check on the 1871 census.

Judy

lol judy. so now we are looking for gough terrace lennox street. try and find out what number and see if they tie in with any any my photos. dont worry just lately i seem to be having more senior moments. by the way my next door neighbours are hansons. dont even go there ha ha wales.

Hi Michael and Wales

I feel stupid in having given the wrong information and you have both been so helpful. Anyway, I have checked out the 1871 census and find that the sequence in Lennox Street was Victoria Place, GOUGH TERRACE, Wellington Terrace and then 131 Loxton Street, so I think your photos No.1 and No.17 are the nearest I am going to get Wales. I haven't seen photos of the area before so it gives me some idea of the street.

Michael, I have looked through your 1867 Kellys page, and as you say, there were no Hansons listed. Samuel Hanson was a cabinet maker, and probably worked for didn't work for himself.

Judy

hi judy i know your gt grandparents were at new john st west in 1868. heres a photo taken in 1900. i too had relatives there but in the 1920s. wales.

Hi Judy,

This is what I have, looks like 131 was bombed (maps are circa 1950)

If not clear to read give us a shout

Ray

Many, many thanks Ray! These are fantastic maps and give me a lot to go on. Yes, it does look as though the area where 131 was may have been bombed. I can see a Victoria Avenue also but not a Victoria Place. I am going to have a closer look at them as soon as I can but commitments mean that I am going to be offline for a few days. Thank you loads for posting these maps.

Judy

The maps were very interesting. Had a play and have tried to slightly improve wales photo by removing some of the marks. Doesn't look too bad at lower magnifications
Mike

westwood_bakery_new_john_st_west_1900B.jpg

thanks mike. i love that photo. its obvious the people are posing for the camera. i agree these type of maps are brillient. wales.

Hi Ray
I lived at the shop number 72 Lennox Street from 1936 to 1956 and it was great looking at your maps, and it brought back many memories. Is there any way of seeing these enlarged?
Regards
Sparks

Hi Sparks,
Done what I can on 72 Lennox St. After downloading to your PC have you tried right click mouse – select ‘Open With’ – select ‘Windows Picture and Fax Viewer’ then you should be able to expand.

Ray

Hi I am looking for info on an old resident of Lennox street. My Great Grandparents "George and Emma DUNN" lived in The back of 183 Lennox Street Birmingham he was a shoe maker from what I was told.
My grandfather did write back to them but after WW II he did not get any replies. He assumed they may have been killed in the war?

Could anyone shed some light on this please as we have come to a full stop on this family. I am in Australia where the family now continues on.

Ian

Re: Lennox Street Ian Dunn

Hi
Sorry I did get a few fact wrong as I am new to this as I am helping my mother.
She is the one with the facts but not a computer.

The address was 133 Lennox street
They are my GG Grandparents.
Married 2/12/1867
My G Grandfather William or Henry came to Australia
Emma was Emma Basset before marriage

Hope someone can help
Ian Dunn

Hello Mikejee,
Regarding the picture you posted of Westwood Bakery,you state it was on New John Street West.Do you know if it was on the corner of Great Russell Street?
Regards Maurice.

hi mossg... when i 1st posted the westwood bakers pic i never thought to find out exacactly what corner it was on.... but looking at the map i have posted you may well be right about it being on the corner of gt russell st as it did run accross new john st west down to farm st..but which corner??? maybe a kellys look up might solve it as it should give the number of the shop and what side it was on ie west/east etc.

reagards

astoness

Back