• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lea village secondary modern girls' school

Brum Gal

Brummie babby
Hi, I grew up on Foxdale Grove, Lea Village; I'm one of 12 children. Our last name is/was COLES. We all attended Lea Village Secondary Modern Schools. I attended from 1960-1964. Most of my siblings are older so attended before me. I now live in America and would absolutely love to hear from anyone who remembers any of the COLES family or have any school photo's. (My family were too poor to buy school photo's when we were growing up.) Also, I remember some shops in Lea Village such as, Charles Bragg Bakery (had the very best bread; Eddie's Cafe; Scrivens Newsagents; The Co-Op; Geo. Allen grocery store (my sister Beryl worked there); Boots Chemist; Woolworth's, etc. Again, would love to hear from anyone who knew us. My first name is Carole.

Hello

I went to Lea village from about 59-62 Pamela Oakley I live in Australia cannot remember any school photos. Lived in Kitts Green.

Hi Pamela, great to hear from you! I think you may have gone to school with my sister Sandra Coles who was 2 years older than me. She would have graduated/left school in 1962. Sandra now lives in New York, USA. I am in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. We have relatives who still today live in Kitts Green. Hope you like Australia. We have a show on the strip called Human Nature. These guys are all from Australia and are really fantastic! I've seen them about 6 times! Thanks for responding to my post. Carole

Many of the Carr family were at Lea Village around that time. Both boys and girls. Anyone remember us ? Some of the above names sound familiar to me but I think you were older. I was born in 1952

I am one of the Proctor's from Kitts Green Road and Lea Village School! Does anyone remember any of us?

Hi I remember Derek and David ( I think) Proctor.
We're they twins?
Yes, Jean, they are!! David still lives in Kitts Green and Deryck is in Audley Road!! I'm their older sister Joni, but I don't recognise your name!! Hope you're well!! x

Yes, Jean, they are!! David still lives in Kitts Green and Deryck is in Audley Road!! I'm their older sister Joni, but I don't recognise your name!! Hope you're well!! x
Hi Joni. Thanks for your reply.
I can't remember you but I remember that your brothers were not identical twins.
I remember them as nice lads.
I am now living in Shrewsbury and have been for almost fifty years..xx

Hi girls.was at Lea Village boys side of the gardens from 49-54.Did they still have the pigs at the back of the prefab classes.I was Treasurer for 3 years .Think I remember the Procters .Were they there the same time as me.Only girls I remember was Shirley Cleaver andGladys Kirby.Do you remember them.

I remember the Kirbys!! We actually bumped into Mick on holiday a few years ago!! We got him to phone Roy, my brother and Roy nearly had a heart attack!!

We're they twins?
I remember you guys, we lived at the bottom of Folliot Road, the Haynes's can't be sure but think it was Derek who tried to take the island on his motorbike far too fast & didn't make it, still got up with a smile on his face though

On our side wasMalcolm Cambell,Brian Baker,Teddy Thomas !Ron &Graham Atkinson David Siviter Harry Ironmonger.Malcolm Campbell always came top of the class ,I was always the bridemade 2nd

I remember you guys, we lived at the bottom of Folliot Road, the Haynes's can't be sure but think it was Derek who tried to take the island on his motorbike far too fast & didn't make it, still got up with a smile on his face though
That sounds like Deryck Jean! Yes, Deryck and David are twins. Both of them poorly at the moment!!

On our side wasMalcolm Cambell,Brian Baker,Teddy Thomas !Ron &Graham Atkinson David Siviter Harry Ironmonger.Malcolm Campbell always came top of the class ,I was always the bridemade 2nd
I remember David Siviter, I think he was Bobby's mate. I don't remember any of the others though!

Hi Joni. Thanks for your reply.
I can't remember you but I remember that your brothers were not identical twins.
I remember them as nice lads.
I am now living in Shrewsbury and have been for almost fifty years..xx
I hope you're enjoying Shrewsbury Jean. I'm now in Dorset. The only ones still living in Birmingham are Johnny and Deryck and David. We're all widely scattered now!! sad really!!

Was so good having the Pig Club in those years .Still got the Menu for that night.David Siviter was my best mate so we're a few others

We're they twins?
Hi I can remember derek and roy roy had a bmw motor bike he used to of which I was get about on.i used to drink in the glebe and the glebe legion of which I was the secretary.my name is malcolm sandford aka spike.i left birmingham 25 years ago and now live in norfolk but I am always happy when I come back to brum great memories.

Hi I can remember derek and roy roy had a bmw motor bike he used to of which I was get about on.i used to drink in the glebe and the glebe legion of which I was the secretary.my name is malcolm sandford aka spike.i left birmingham 25 years ago and now live in norfolk but I am always happy when I come back to brum great memories.
Hi Mally, you know the Glebe is now gone don't you? The glebe shopping centre is still there but changed. Do you remember the faggot and peas shop! I had to queue every Tuesday night for our dinner there! Deryck now lives in Audley road, just recovered from Leukaemia, David still at Kitts Green, quite poorly with COPD. Roy now living in Somerset! All scattered!! Sad! x

Only ever thought he was an Apprentice at B S A after he left school. Played football with him for Banbury Spencer fc at 17

Lea village Girls Eh! My sister went there around 1960, Sonia Drakeley, we are from "The Lea" kitts Green. Could any of you describe the girls uniform for me?

Lea village Girls Eh! My sister went there around 1960, Sonia Drakeley, we are from "The Lea" kitts Green. Could any of you describe the girls uniform for me?
I was there a little earlier Wakaman. We had to make our own uniform in needlework, which consisted of a red and white striped, short sleeved blouse and grey A line skirts! I hope that helps. Our needlework teacher was Miss Mills and by the time we had finished the blouse, it was too small for us so we had to make a bigger one! haha

Thank you for such a quick reply. I have been sent a photo from America of my Uncle Bert and he is with a young girl that looks like my sister, she is in a bib top dark skirt and I thought it might be her uniform, obviously not. Thanks.

I am one of the Proctor's from Kitts Green Road and Lea Village School! Does anyone remember any of us?
I remember you both from Ridpool Road juniors. I still have a scar on my elbow after a playground fight with Derek..
Lovely to see Jean Corrall answering I remember her well.

Back