• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lawrence & Allday

claire-brum71

master brummie
Listed in 1855 Birmingham directory at 8 Mott Street, Jewellers.....can anyone find anything else on this company for me please, I'm trying to find out if it links to my ancesters who lived in Hockley and were all Goldsmiths, i can't find any other trade directory links for it, many thanks :)

Claire
Here is all I could find of firm and possible successors:
In the 1849 directory 8 Mott st was
Page Joseph, steel snuffer and cork screw maker, 8, Mott street
No Lawrence & Allday listed or any Allday, who is jeweller.
There is a T. Lawrence & Co, Bordesley , jewellers, listed who disappear after this directory

1852 (from ancestry)
Lawrence & Allday, jewellers . 8, Mott street

1855 (Whites)
Lawrence and Allday, goldsmiths, jewellers, and mfrs of lockets, brooches, pins, signet & ladies' rings, studs, sleeve links, 8 Mott St

In 1858 and 1862,
Lawrence &Allday, goldsmiths and jewellers, 14, Mott st

Lawrence & Allday, jewellers, 14, Mott st
Also; Allday. John (see Lawrence & Allday)

1872-1878
Lawrence and Allday not mentioned, but
Allday John, jeweller, 8 Warstone lane (not listed previously)

Allday John, jeweller, 8 Warstone lane

1883-1921
Allday John & Sons, jewellers, 8 & 9 Warstone lane

1932 No mention
Mike

Thanks for that Mike, shame it doesn't mention a first name for Lawrence, but i'll check it out and see what turns up for John Allday :)

1912 Electoral roll has a John Allday with 'other premises' at 8 Warstone Lane, living at 11 Vernon Road, Edgbaston; a very select area.
1911 Census has him at the same address, aged 54, with wife Katherine Elizabeth Allday (49, married 26 yrs). daughter Mabel Katherine (22) son Gilbert James (19) and servant Louisa Jane Hickson (27). He is a "Master Manufacturing Jeweller Employer" by occupation.
FreeBMD gives the marriage as 2nd quarter 1884, Kings Norton, vol 6c page 706, wife's maiden name James

Thanks Lloyd, i'm just going threw all my notes now, funny enough i know some of the Lawrences lived in Edgbaston after moving from thier origins in the lower class parts of the city so maybe they are linked, just wish i could find out which Lawrence it was. Would the Chamber of Commerce have any old info do you think?

Hey Claire - just came across your post in passing - are you still interested in info about Roger Ireland Lawrence?

Hi, I knew that my paternal grandmother's family ran a jewellers in the jewellery quarter but never knew the name. I've literally just found out that it was Allday (Ellen-May). Can anyone provide any more help?

She died in 1970. Married William Hardwick of Wolverley Kidderminster.

I'm at work atm but will look later

your grandmother was Helen May Allday b 1898
1901 living Putney road Handsworth name Helen M with father Ernest mother ellen
1911 96 Wellington road handsworth
Ernest alfred Allday age 40 Gem setter Jeweller
Ellen age 38
Lilian 16
Ellen 11
Helen May Allday married William Hardwick 1935,
1939 she is Nellie Hardwick living Woodfield cottages kidderminster it appears they have got her date of birth incorrect she was registered in 3rd qtr 1898 but it says 8th june 1899 on 1939.
Son Gordon 1936.

Back