• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Launderettes of Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
We went to the local laundrette once a week on a Friday night as we had no washing machine. We used the one on Hawthorn Road, Kingstanding. I always enjoyed going, especially in the winter. It smelled clean and was nice and warm. The spinner was fascinating (well to me as a 5+ year old). It sounded like something from space. In later years I was reminded of it in chemistry lessons when we used a centrifuge. Loved when the washing came out of the tumble dryer, so warm and clean smelling. Folding it up was a chore as was carrying it home, we had no car, but the laundrette was a godsend,

This advert suggests washing in a Bendix meant the clothes were ready to iron, but to be honest I doubt we could have carried back our wet washing, so drying in the tumble dryers provided would have been essential. I remember the washing machines as Bendix but not the spinner or the tumble dryers. There was always a man around doing maintenance, and doubtless keeping order in there.

The list of a typical load has 'collars' on there. 'Pillow slips' haven't used that word in a long time - now called pillow cases. No duvet covers yet of course. And no adding conditioner to the wash, yet to be invented.

Screenshot_20240116_182220_Chrome.jpgSource : British Newspaper Archive

viv if its the same lauderette that i think it is it was still open in 2017 closed for a few years now its a polish food shop

That's thrown me Lyn. I always thought it was in the row of shops on the opposite side of the road to Woolworths and Littlewoods etc. But it could well have been there. Thanks.

There were two laundrettes on Station Road, Erdington. The earlier one had attendants; I recall a Mrs Roberts was one. They would give you a couple of containers with soap etc and a bottle of blue fluid that you put in a flap on the top of the machine when a light came on.

I imagine the attendants would do a service wash for you if you paid extra.

I also recall they had some Bendix machine too, but maybe not all of them. The washing came out all twisted into ropes and knots. My poor mum would be untangling it for ages and as for be ironing board ready, I don’t recall that.

There were some large spin-driers that cost an old penny. I used to watch the water running out of a pipe down the back. Mom would then take it home.

I think they may have installed a couple of tumbler driers at some stage, but don’t recall in detail.

The other laundrette on Station Road came at a later date. It was only a small place that was completely unattended and had fully automatic washing machine that would spin too. Some of the machine became a bit smelly as I recall.

There was quite a large Co-op laundrette at the end of Goosemore Lane. It had rows of automatic washing machines and tumbler dryers. It also had a couple of irons you could buy time for and a sheet ironing roller for the more adventurous. There was an attended café too.

Looking back, it seems like they were trying to create a whole experience for the busy housewife.

We have a friend in the US that owns two laundromats. He is a very senior petroleum engineer.

His father in law goes back and forth filling the soap and bleach machines, taking the money out of the washers, dryers and soap machines. He also has change machines that give change for $1, $5 & $10 dollar bills (just to keep you spending). He also has vending machines for soda pop and candy. He makes SO much money selling the packets of soap and other vending.
He has a machine in his house that counts the money and separates it by denomination. He is a very RICH man! Just a little trivia.

Keeping that spending rolling in Richard .... however, not available at our laundrette !

Screenshot_20240116_224637_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Great post, Viv. I remember going to the laundrette in the evening with my mom several times as a nipper in the mid 70’s, there was one in the row of shops at the bottom of Yarningale Road in Brandwood. I think our washing machine must have been broken because she normally did our laundry in a twin tub back then, I used to play with the big wooden tongs she used for it. I remember her telling me NEVER to put my hands anywhere near the spin drying part when it was on or it would rip my arm off, and she was probably right! I was intrigued by the Laundrette. As I saw it, it was a kind of shop that was open when the others had shut and there was nobody there to serve you. There was a door at the back which was always locked and I used to peer through the keyhole to to see what was on the other side but it was always black. Given that she was washing clothes for seven people we must’ve been in there a while, no wonder I got bored of the place in the end. One thing I noticed over the years since then is that for decades after that, every laundrette I used all looked as if they had been fitted out in the early sixties and never changed. (I only used them then because my boiler suits got so filthy at work, if I put them in our machine at home my wife would have gone barmy.)

Back