• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kyrwicks Lane Pubs

davegrim

I'm researching my family history, and have found in the 1911 Census that my greatgrandfather John Charles White was a 'licensed victualler' living at 112 Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook. He was then 60 years old. His wife was Rose (a second marriage, I think) and his daughter Elsie White is recorded as being a barmaid. Does anyone know of a pub that used to be at this address? I have no idea when it might have been closed down or demolished.

Hi Dave

The Cottage was at he junction of Kyrwicks Lane and Monpelier St the Railway & Hereford were also in Kywicks Lane, but The Stratford Arms was at 112. It was located on the corner of Main St and was the first pub to go sometime in the mid 60's. They used to have a good dance there on Friday nights upstairs. The Hereford is the only working pub left in Kyrwicks Lane now, the Cottage is still there but it is a defunct community centre.

This photo must have been taken not long after The Stratford closed prior to demolition.

Phil

Sparkbrook Stratford Arms Kyrwicks Lane .jpg

Last edited:
Hi Phil

Thanks very much for that... especially the photo. Any more information would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

That's one of my photos Phil, and it couldn't have been taken before 1969. John Charles White was there 1911-1915, but not there 1908 or 1921
Mike

Dave
You stated that he was there in 1911. Kellys directories lsit him tere in 1912, 1913 and 1915, but it is someone els ein the directories in 1908 and 1921
Mike

Mike

Now that really is strange, because it is not among any of the photos that you gave me to help sort out and it is not among the file I keep for your photos. As you know I always ask you before I post one of yours or if pushed for time I will acknowledge you. So I must have sourced it from somewhere else. I told you Mike you need to get them published because it looks like they are beginning to spread around the net.

Phil

Phil
It's post 18 on my photo thread. Have just realised that it is my car at the side. This means that it must have been taken 1971-3, as I had an A40 as my first car for about 3 years. I am taking your point about publication.
Mike

Mike

Looks like somebody has posted it somewhere else then Mike, I keep saying I am going to keep a record of where I get my photos from, but of course I never do. I must admit that you do surprise me with the date because I could have swore that it was gone long before then as I remember drinking in the Hereford, the Railway and the Cottage in the 70's but the last time I recall drinking in the Stratford was in the mid 60's. I suppose it could have been boarded up for all that time, but I doubt it.

Phil

I hope these memories will be of interest to old locals of the sparkbrook area !!, I was born at No: 37 long st in 1931,and attended Christchurch infant school from 1936 to 1939,(the out break of WW2) when I was evacuated to Appleby Magna in Leicestershire, a corporation bus took children from the school,from the bottom of long st,my mother married a John Edward Evason in 1922,and he was using 37 long st for his tailoring business,until he died of a heart attack,mom now had two kids to bring up on her own,she was a wonderful singer,and had won a national singing contest at the Town hall,with 200 contestants,she would sing at the Warwick Arms pub for 2/6d to earn a little extra cash,and also do an evening shift at the fish and chip shop on the corner of king st where she was paid 1 shilling plus a free fish and chip supper,I was often sent on an errand to get a loaf from the bakery on the corner of long st,and Kyrwicks lane,and bits of the crust would mysteriously disappear from it by the time it got home !!!,I also went to the barbers in kyrwicks lane for a "short back and sides" or a " barbers knock" which cost 6d,there was a little shop near main st,and the lady cooked home made faggots and peas,mom would send me with a basin to fetch them,a real treat,in about 1936,as a single mom now with 2 children we moved into No:-1 back of 37( the rent was cheaper) a row of 5 back houses,two up and two down,cold water only and outside toilets,the was a "brew house (washing clothes) attached and each family had a special day each in which to do their washing on that day,there was a large copper,which was filled with water by a bucket by hand,then a fire was lit underneath to heat the water,Recketts blue was added to make the sheets whiter,then the mangle was used to wring out the water,and before the water in the "copper" went cold,I was put in for a bath,WOW, nothing was wasted,there was a company in King St called the Educational Co, I think they made school furniture,and we used to get offcuts to use as firewood,which saved us buying 2d bundles of firewood, I remember seeing a German Zeppelin flying over sparkbrook, in 1936,following the line of ladypool rd,and Walford Rd,I think it was on a tour of Britain,and have often wondered if it was secretly photographing the B.S.A. factory,prior to WW2?,I hope these ramblings will be found of interest to members, best wishes to you all,Ray Evason.PS,there was a greengrocers shop on the other side of our entry run by the Hawkins family,and during the war they were sheltering down in the celler during one of the many air raids,when the shop took a direct hit,they survived the hit but were unable to get out,the gas main was fractured and they all died from the fumes only one son survived as he was not at home that night,amazingly a milk bottle on the front step was untouched !! Arundle place now occupies the site,

Last edited:
I hope these memories will be of interest to old locals of the sparkbrook area !!, I was born at No: 37 long st in 1931,and attended Christchurch infant school from 1936 to 1939,(the out break of WW2) when I was evacuated to Appleby Magna in Leicestershire, a corporation bus took children from the school,from the bottom of long st,my mother married a John Edward Evason in 1922,and he was using 37 long st for his tailoring business,until he died of a heart attack,mom now had two kids to bring up on her own,she was a wonderful singer,and had won a national singing contest at the Town hall,with 200 contestants,she would sing at the Warwick Arms pub for 2/6d to earn a little extra cash,and also do an evening shift at the fish and chip shop on the corner of king st where she was paid 1 shilling plus a free fish and chip supper,I was often sent on an errand to get a loaf from the bakery on the corner of long st,and Kyrwicks lane,and bits of the crust would mysteriously disappear from it by the time it got home !!!,I also went to the barbers in kyrwicks lane for a "short back and sides" or a " barbers knock" which cost 6d,there was a little shop near main st,and the lady cooked home made faggots and peas,mom would send me with a basin to fetch them,a real treat,in about 1936,as a single mom now with 2 children we moved into No:-1 back of 37( the rent was cheaper) a row of 5 back houses,two up and two down,cold water only and outside toilets,the was a "brew house (washing clothes) attached and each family had a special day each in which to do their washing on that day,there was a large copper,which was filled with water by a bucket by hand,then a fire was lit underneath to heat the water,Recketts blue was added to make the sheets whiter,then the mangle was used to wring out the water,and before the water in the "copper" went cold,I was put in for a bath,WOW, nothing was wasted,there was a company in King St called the Educational Co, I think they made school furniture,and we used to get offcuts to use as firewood,which saved us buying 2d bundles of firewood, I remember seeing a German Zeppelin flying over sparkbrook, in 1936,following the line of ladypool rd,and Walford Rd,I think it was on a tour of Britain,and have often wondered if it was secretly photographing the B.S.A. factory,prior to WW2?,I hope these ramblings will be found of interest to members, best wishes to you all,Ray Evason.PS,there was a greengrocers shop on the other side of our entry run by the Hawkins family,and during the war they were sheltering down in the celler during one of the many air raids,when the shop took a direct hit,they survived the hit but were unable to get out,the gas main was fractured and they all died from the fumes only one son survived as he was not at home that night,amazingly a milk bottle on the front step was untouched !! Arundle place now occupies the site,
Hi, my dad was the licensee of The Hereford Arms, Kyrwicks Lane. It was his first pub and only sold ale. I was 4 years old when we moved there so it must have been around 1951. His name was Jim Pooler. I don't think we stayed there very long as he moved on to take over The Ship at Camp Hill.

Back