• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

i was one of the first in develpment toolroom to make the slider assembly machines the other guy was denis rush brook...it was a really interesting job one of the few who couldnt get to work fst enough it was that intersting !!! this machine used a cam shaft and a rotary table producing 100 per min .. but today in japan much faster now

Hello Gaz, Miriam here. Don't have much time for the computer now but saw your message [and Jean's] a few minutes ago. Al seems delighted that someone remembers him. He knew the names you mentioned in your post. He is quite forgetful now but still makes the best 'cup of tea in four oaks'!!!!!!! He will be 89 in August. Not sure if I knew you - I worked for Harold Birch. and sometimes Charles Ross - ring any bells? Miriam.

Thanks Jean. Al knew Bob Trueman straight away - he can remember faces but not names. Hope you are OK? Miriam.

hello miriam it was great to see one of the very few .ie bob tromans ..brings back memorys seeing him .he worked on the surface grinder just out side als office.. how are you and al hope you are ok ive got rheumatics in my right arm its driving me up the wall hehe but ill survive bye

Hello Mike. Haven't been well of late so haven't been on the forum but am now trying to catch up on all my emails. It's lovely to hear from you. Miriam.

hi gaz i remember bob very well .i always stopped by his surface grinder when i could in the toolroom and had a chat,.he liked his cigs..but he was a real nice guy it doesnt half bring happy memories back seeing this photo of him.and i feel a little sad now ive seen this they were wonderfull days in the lf

hello miriam sorry to hear you havnt been well,hope al is ok im not too bad still cycle 40 miles a week around lichfield etc,got to have injection in my shoulder .got it at my last work place .have to have pain killers,but i cant complain really i suppose.all the best any way

Hello Mike. Sorry to hear about your arm / shoulder. Al and I still plod along, I agree with you about 'those happy days' We were like a large family. Don't like this getting old. You must be quite fit to cycle that distance - carry on cycling!!!!! Miriam.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/zip-fasteners

This wonderful 1950s film (link above) describes how the 'lightning zip fasteners' were produced and tested in Witton, a real novelty of the day. If only skirts still could be transformed into capes! Why didn't that catch on?!?

It's a really nice insight into the inner workings of one of the many aspects of working life at IMI. I wonder, did anyone work in the zip making at Witton?

I listened in to Carl Chinn on Sunday and Kynock was one of his subjects and folk were phoning in with their experiences of when they worked there. Thanks for that cuppateabiscuit.

The power station was indeed very efficient, it could be switched from coal its main source to gas or oil within a short time!
The coal was fed in via an underground conveyor system that took it to the top of the furnaces and whilst it fell, it burnt, the ash removed in a similar fashion.
During the "winter of discontent" the company had to switch off a lot of "surplus" lighting because the local residents complained that the company was wasteing electricity whilst their homes were in darkness, due to the rolloing power cuts that were prevalent at the time.

Welcome to the forum Brassed Off. I enjoy reading about Kynoch's as my aunt was head of the power house in the 1950's. I never realy understood what this job was.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/zip-fasteners

This wonderful 1950s film (link above) describes how the 'lightning zip fasteners' were produced and tested in Witton, a real novelty of the day. If only skirts still could be transformed into capes! Why didn't that catch on?!?

It's a really nice insight into the inner workings of one of the many aspects of working life at IMI. I wonder, did anyone work in the zip making at Witton?
I worked in the Drawing Office at Lightning Fasteners from 1968 to the end in 1982.

i was one of the first in lightening fastener to make the zip fastener slider ass m/cs in the devolpment tool room,,great days they were too,

hello miriam i havnt been on for a while hope you and al are doing ok..i have had my op now and all seems to be ok now michael former lf worker

I worked with Joe Beresford in the Central Millwrights,
He was in the stores there, and told us many tales about his time at the Villa along with "Pongo" Waring.

jog my memory was the central mill wrights opposite the canteen on the bond ,, cant remember now i worked 15 yrs at imi,and did a 5years apprentiship then eventully worked in the lf developement tool room

Hi

Yep thats about right. I remember a miserable weeks in the Pattern shop. We were all taken from the Engineering Workshops one day to around that area opposite the canteen. Every component that had been casted for the Group were on a huge table. On the floor were two groups of Choas. The wooden pattern and the Moulding boxes. We had to get all the Part Nos correct and pack them up. Everything we did was checked and signed up.
Many parts looked the same gears etc but there were some differences. It took about a month to empty the area.
The patterns were going to outsource suppliers. Around 1962 I think

Mike Jenks

Dad joined Kynochs in 1927 at the age of 14 he left in 1975/6, just failing to get his 50 years in.He helped found Kynoch Cycling Club, and was an active member of the Home Guard there.
He was one of the first shop stewards in the Witton Eng W.shop.
He was an apprenticed universal miller and went on to run the time study/progress office later on.
My sister was in the Research as a tracer( pre photo copiers etc) from 1950 to 1962.
My Brother, Uncle ,Cousin were also there,
Mom worked there also before the War until the start of the family.

Hi

Yep that's the Harper I knew. He ran the Time Study and Planning Dept.
I worked in there for 12 months during 1962/63. Normally apprentices have a short
period in there but I broke my leg in November 62 so I had another period in there.
When you wrote Harper this face entered my head from the Time Study/Planning dept.

Mike Jenks

Back