• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Hi
My Nan & Grandad Tipping lived on Hawthorn Road Kingstanding, with there 8 children, 5 daughters and 3 sons, the youngesr my aunt Jean Tipping (now Harrison) still lives in the same house, my mother and her sister Joan both worked at astons cake shop on the Hawthorn rd, I rember when I was growing up every one going to nan on a Saturday the women going shopping over the road and the men going to stanleys snooker hall, grandad was in the shed or his garden and I used to watch the wesling with my nan, I have two photos taken of Hawthorne rd one in 1957 and the other in 1967, I also have some family ones of nan and my dad standing out side nans house.

Apologies can't post the link to Facebook as not registered. Worth a look if you are registered though. Meanwhile here's a taster. Viv.

zavyty9e.jpg

I moved to Kingstanding when I was 7, after my mum died (late 70s). My dad's family lived in Kingstanding (and still do) and I suppose my father, being in his late fifties with an only child of seven needed all the help he could get!

I joined Kings Rise Infants, and went on to Kings Road Juniors, before joining the doomed Kings Rise and then Kings Secondary School in 1983. I had to travel to and from Warren Farm Secondary School unattended for 50% of lessons, and to the playing fields a bus ride away for PE.

We lived on Bendall Road, and I have very fond memories of living there, with friends living on Bendall Rd, Sudbury Grove and Banners Walk. There is a high cul de sac part way up Bendall Road, I can't recall the name of it, but it was great to go down on Roller Boots when they had just become the rage in the early 1980s!

I can recall paying 2p bus fare to travel to the swimming pool at Warren Farm.

I used the bakers on the way to school that was in the corner next to Banners Walk, by the King Charles Public House. And my father used to send me to the chip shop and also the chinese take away for chips twice a week, whilst he cooked fish in the oven at home.

I used to pay my pocket money into the TSB via my Junior School, and I also recall visiting the TSB at the Circle to withdraw my money, and the rough park next to it where all the glue sniffers used to hang out!

I remember the Kingstanding Carnival - I entered one year!

We moved from Kingstanding during my first year of secondary school, I think my dad saw the writing on the wall for the standard of education for the children of Kingstanding in the 1980s!

Serena

I was reading about William (Billy) Kirton who once played for Aston Villa (see site link below). The link says that after retiring from football he ran a newspaper shop in Kingstanding. I know where the shop is (just round the corner near the the junction of Kingstanding Road and Dyas Road). I used to go in that shop very, very often. A bit of info from the site for you footie fans; AV bought him for £500 in October 1919, he scored fifty-three goals in two hundred and twenty-nine League appearances as well as six goals in thirty-two FA Cup games. He died at the Hartopp Nursing Home in Sutton Coldfield on 27 September 1970. I wonder if by the 1960s it would have been a family member (maybe his son?) who ran the shop, as I remember it at that time still known as Kirtons newsagents.

https://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/leedscityprofiles.php/KirtonWJ.php

Viv.

Thanks for that link Vivienne. Will take a look and see if I recognize anyone?. Will take a look on face book too.

Be interesting to see if you find anything Jean. You'll know his shop. Here's streetview with Dyas Road to the left. And it's still a newsagents! Kirton's used to sell, not only newspapers and mags, but they had a great range of sweets in the 1960s. 2oz of milk bottles or shrimps was my usual. My mum often went in there too to pay the weekly paper bill as she worked for Bywaters one or two doors along on Kingstanding Road. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355174224.806903.jpg

Nice to see that picture as in the late 1950s I also worked at Bywaters, Mr Jones was the manager when I was there, also used to pop into the newsagent. used to love the roast pork we did at Bywaters. Mike

Hi MSGK and Miriam. Remember Bywaters as a nice clean shop. Like Kirton's it had two parallel counters stretching from the front to the back of the shop. Think they sold pork pies, chops, bacon etc but I don't remember them selling larger cuts of meat, like the regular butchers shop. But could be wrong on that. I remember that this row of shops from Dyas Rd, round onto Kingstanding Rd and up to Bywaters was quite raised up and when you were in the shop it seemed quite high up. In between Kirtons and Lathams there used to be a greengrocers cum fish store which had some stalls out onto the pavement, that too was quite raised up. We 'd buy cod roe and soft herring roes from there. Always a queue so it was either cheap or good quality (or maybe both!). My mum worked in various shops around Kingstanding and the one thing I especially remember was that all the shopkeepers would do each other favours. A real sense of community. There was none of the cut-throat retailing of later years. Viv.

Hi Serena.My mom and dad was brought up in Bendall Road.My dad was a FLOYD.And my moms maiden name was LAGOE.Serena have you got any photos of Bendall Rd in the 1960s.I have tryed to get one i even went to Kingstanding Library.Irene

Irene I will try to take a photo for you sometime this week and make sure I don't point the camera at any specific house. Jean.

1vb4c246f00b6a5db50d1237cc7553b6287160e187.2.jpg
This is a house for sale in the road Irene but I will still take a photo for you this week.
1313-0.jpg
This is a street party in the road. I will ask Chris Hillcox if he has any more.

Last edited:
Have just sent an e.mail to my friend Janet who lived there for years in the hope that she has some old photo's. She said she does not mind me mentioning her name. They were the Mansell family.

Fingers crossed she may have some.Ask if she knows the KIRTON Family they still live on the Kings Rd opposite the MOUNT PUB?

We used to live up Cooksey Lane on the corner of Esher Rd, moved there in 1938. Anyone else live there. ???

Back