• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingshurst

L

lynn winterton

hi
did anyone move to kingshurst? i moved there in 1960 from tallbot st, winson green because our house was compulsory purchased by the council.
oh how lovely it was to have our own toilet!

My brother lived in Talbot Street Winson Green, just a little way up from the pub. He lived in a very run down back to back house.

hi rod
i was only five when we moved so i dont remeber a lot about it really, i started benson road school just before we moved.
we lived at 7/42 which was about halfway down, if i remeber right there was a shop opposite on the corner, you could buy half a loaf 2oz of lard, i remeber being sent to buy two cigarettes for my mom, the lady used to put them in one of those triangular bags!
lynn

Hi Lynn, we moved from Grosvenor St West, Ladywood to Haselour Rd, Kingshurst in 1963. Wherabouts did you live on the estate?

mallosa

Hi Lynn. My wife and I moved from my parents house on Chelmsley, to Chilvers Grove in about 1974. Glad to get away from there in the end as there was nowhere for the wife to let our Son play unless she sat on a wall outside the masoinnette with him. Plus we where told that it could be another 10-15 years before we would be considered for a house. Apart from that I quite enjoyed it. Barry.

hi all does anyone remember a thomas moore who lived in meriden drive in kingshurst he died in 1969 after a house fire there any information about him or friends and family would be much appreciated.:)

hi loisand thomas moore was living in kingshurst, he died june 1969, he was born in belfast in 1914

Hi lynn
WE MOVED FROM VICTORIA RD TO KINGS HURST IN THE EARLY SIXTIES ME AND THE FIRST WIFE [ JENNETTE ] IT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE , I GOT TO ADMIT WE WAS VERY YOUNG WHEN WE GOT MARRIED , IT WAS OUR FIRST PLACE , IT WAS A COUNCIL FLAT ,
NO 27 WINGFIELD HOUSE OVERGREEN ROAD , BY THE OLD MIDLAND RED BUS STOP , IT WAS THE ONLY BUS COMPANY RUNNING DOWN THERE THEN
WE DID,NT HAVE A CAR THEN AND WE BOTH WORKED IN THE CITY
MY WIFE WORKED AT PARSONS , GEC WITTON WITH HER FATHER
CHARLIE WILLIAMS FROM ERDINGTON ,
I WORKED AT TUBES ROCKY LANE ASTON CROSS .
AND THE AREA WAS SO BLEAK THEN YOU SEEMRD ISOLATED FROM THE
POPOLATION OF BRUM ,
I HAVE GOT AN OLDER SISTER WHOM LIVES DOWN BY THE TOBY JUG PUB
SHE BEEN THERE FOR DONKEY YEARS , SHE WON,T MOVE FROM THERE
IT DID NOT HAVE A REPUTATION IN THOSE DAYS AS WHAT IT AS GOT NOW BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;;;;;

Hi Mallosa
Sorry for the delay havent been on for ages! I lived in the flats at the top of Kinshurst Way, Digby House to be exact, I loved it there, we moved to Castle Brom in 1969 cos we needed more room.
Who were you friends with? Which schools did you go to?
Lynn

Hi Astonian
I lived in Digby House just across from Wingfield, as a kid growing up it was brilliant for me so much space compared to the yard of a back to back, we moved to Castle Brom in 1969, but my youngest sister lives there she likes it, when I go to visit it brings all the memories flooding back, but its not the place it was which I find very sad
Lynn

kings hurst

Hi Lynn
nice to hear from you hope your memories are as good as mine
when i lived down by the lake in k.hurst
youhave brought some good memories back today for me thanks
incidently i have a sister whom lives down there by the toby jug
whomi havent seen or spoken to in twenty years
and its reminded me that its her birthday on sept . 1 st
she his my oldest , sister she is three tears older than me ,i must send her
a birthday card her name is pauline summers ,she will be sixty five
does,nt time fly ,
do you remember the mobile fish and chip van that came around every night
and he used to have a big hand bell that he used to ring to let everybody know he was here , ?.
have a nice day Lynn , best wishes Astonian ;;

Astonian my old mate, I didnt know you once lived in Kingshurst too. When we first got married, Cath and I lived in a maisonnette in Chilvers Grove, before moving up here. I dont know if the road is still there or not. Probably not after all these years. Regards, Barry.

Hi
I certainly do remember the fish and chip van! if you were early enough and you gave him some newspapers he would give you some chips and a few bits of batter! oh my its making my mouth water just thinking of it now!

Did you know that the park has been filled in now? Us kids had some fun there we used to pinch the greaseprrof paper off the bread and use it to shine the big slide! Ive been in trouble a few times from my mom for that.

Oh and BazzM my sister lives in Chilvers in a maisonette! they were bought off the council by a private developer and done up and she bought one and has lived there for 22yrs!
lynn

Kings Hurst

HI LINDY
nice to hear from you again ,i didn,t know about the lake being filled in
i left there many ,many years ago [ b,ham that is ,as you probably know
i live in worcestershire in a very quite village there is only retired people here
one bus every couple of hours and the train only stops once a day
at 4,30 pm by the way lindy i will email you later on today
so you can give me the detsils of mary ann thanks alot
by the way bazz, yes i did live there when i first got marrid
i lived in at 27 wingfield house ,how3 are you and your family
fine i hope , how is your back keeping these days
i will speak to you later as well
best wishe3s astonian ,;;;

kingshurst est.

Hi all,
Memories of K'hurst, well, my husband moved on there with his parents 1960ish, they lived in Oakthorpe Drive the top end not far from where the Old Kingshurst Hall was situated, they called it the Haunted House, now its just kids playarea for those living around it.
He remembers the park, with the greaseproof bread paper, he said the park keeper used to come out with a bottle of water & squirt it up the slide to stop the effect of polishing.
Does anyone else remember the Witches hat that was in there, & the long swing (dont know the name) you could get loads of kids on there at any one time, such fun days.
He moved from Bell Lane Marston Grn to Bankdale Rd to Kingshurst.
I was born in Nechells moved to Hall Hays Shard End, we lived together in Holliers Grove K'Hurst, happily married 30yrs living in Castle Bromwich
Jen
ps, how do you all get those lovely pictures on the sides of your threads?

Lynn, Lynn, Lynn. Im so sorry, but I completely forgot about the bit I put in this section. I was just browsing and came across it again. So Chilvers Grove is still there is it ? We lived in one of the maisonettes until about 1977 when we moved here to Ayrshire. At that time our first son was 2, and our second son had just been born, and what I remember most was that in order to let them play outside, we had to go and sit on the small wall outside the doorway, in order to watch them. I also recall the lights in the passageways of the maisonettes always being broken by kids, which made it very difficult for me each morning, as I had to get my bike out of the concrete cubbyhole out the back door, so I could cycle 6 miles to work in Aston at 5.00am. Still, its a part of home that has always stayed with me. Anyway, sorry for taking so long to reply to you. Best wishes, Barry.

Astonian. Only just noticed your link to this as well. Sorry mate. Yes, Cath and I lived in Chilvers Grove only for about 2 years, but I didnt realise that you lived in Kingshurst too at one time.
Were all fine here, especially as our daughter Carolann, has just had her 2nd baby. She was born on Nov. 2nd, and both are fine.
I hope you and yours are all OK.
Will speak to you again soon no doubt.
Best wishes to you, Barry.

hi lynn i lived in Devonshire street winston green and we moved to kinghurst and i remember going to yorkswood school i lived in bassetts grove with my sister carol and brothers billy and shaun i went onto cooks lane school (kinghurst comp) a few years ago mind you...my name back then was pat nicholl

does anyone remember John the van man who came around every night with sweets and groceries and twice on sundays also the sweet van who came only on sundays. and the Jolly roger ice cream van who gave you a great big bowl of ice cream aqnd often gave the kids any broken ice lols he had Now while well on the subject surely some one can remember when all the kids every sat & sun would wait by Harpers for the potato van to come and jumjp up and down shouting pick me and off we went for the daY Pototo picking in the old bus where we squeezed 4 to a seat what a great time we had, all the best pat

Hi Lynn

We moved to Kingshurst from Highgate (St Martins Flats) in the early 60's. Lived in Withy Grove. Moved to Yorkswood eventually in late 70's.

Still go to Kingshurst to Doctors.

Regards

Chris

Hi Christy

I lived in kingshurst as well from 1960 thru to when i married in 1976, I went to Yorkswood J & I and later (1967) to Cooks Lane.. you say your name is/was Pat Nicholls.. I remember twin girls with that surname.. I think it was Pamela and ???? .. my name was Dianne Sheppard back then, I was friends with Sandra Gunnell, Lynne Bennet, Josephine Haynes, Sheila Osbourne, Lynne Cartwright, Then there was Phillip Hesian, Keith Clarke, and many other lads but I have forgot their names now - their was one other called Peter cosford .I was In Miss Cullens class, then Mrs Booth and finally Mr Leytons class (yorkswood).. when I went to cooks lane i was in Miss Linehams class, but for life of me cannot remember any other form teachers names, I remember Miss Allen as headmistress with her dog shandy, Mrs Reedman, Mr Bulivant, Mrs Parkinson.

I am pretty sure you are one of "the twins".. do you remember Jennifer Gospel and also that family who lived just up road from you who emigrated to Australia, I remember you lived in flats right opposite the woods.. we all used to climb through fence to get to the scout campsite and the "big dip" with all the wooden seats (must have been scouts sing song area!)..

and yes I remember the grocery van especially on a sunday when all the shops were closed in the afternoon.. also the blue chip van .. oh I can taste those chips even now !!.. ( he was a bit mean with the portions tho)! I also used to go potato picking, waiting at Harpers every morning .. back breaking work .. but to get wages at end of week meant I could go and buy myself nice clothes to go showing off at Arden Hall/ Chesterfield...

Last edited:
Hi Mallosa
Sorry for the delay havent been on for ages! I lived in the flats at the top of Kinshurst Way, Digby House to be exact, I loved it there, we moved to Castle Brom in 1969 cos we needed more room.
Who were you friends with? Which schools did you go to?
Lynn
Hi Lynn, thanks for your reply. It was 1963, I was aged 15 & had already left school when we first moved from Ladywood to Kingshurst (Haselour Road) I worked at Deans Newsagents, opposite the Mountford pub for a couple of years. I also worked evenings at the Yorkswood Social Club & the Kingshurst Pub. I'll get back to you regarding my friends at that time, o'k?

Cheers, Sandra

Mallosa. Sorry to but in, but Ive only just noticed that you worked in the Yorkswood Social Club. I used to go there quite often. Sometimes with mates, or sometimes with the old man. Eric Morley. He was on the committe there at one time. Had some great nights there. Barry.

Hi Bazz

I used to go to yorkswood social club every thursday night .. I was only 13 - 14yrs old at the time, they used to have a disco for us teeny boppers , my dad used to drink in there and I was always embarressed to think my Dad "was on the door"

This was 1968 - 1969- 1970 time

Last edited:
A late addition here!

I went to Fordbridge County Infants and Yorkswood Juniors. Left Yorkswood in 1969. We lived on Fordbridge Road in Kingshurst at that time, having moved there about 1964 from Yardley Green Road in Little Bromwich. My old man (Jim Baker) occasionally worked as barman at the Kingshurst pub.

we lived in hemlingford road kingshurst in a maisonette .in 1970.i stayed 2 yrs my 2 boys started school at yorkswood primary.we left because the one neighbour was violent and threatened people with an axe and i had to pass his door to go down the stairs .needless to say i was terrified when i had my third child trying to pass the door without making a noise .thankfully i was moved to kings norton soon after.i made some good friends there though ...

I lived at the top of Kingshurst when they first started to build it at No 19 Overgreen Drive. used to walk from there across by yorks wood to Lea Village School 1955/6.

Its a small world No 19 was on the ground floor there were just builders huts on the opposite side of the road when i was there my relatives moved from there to Latelow road Lea Hall.
I used to deliver papers for a newsagent just across the Chester Road from Overgreen Drive to the Posh Houses as they were then down by the Toby Jug.

Back