• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingshurst Shopping Parade

mrbluesky1957

master brummie
Trying to work my round of shops in late 60s and 70s. A family member also remembers a electrical shop. Tvs and repairs etc. We think it was the only local place to buy records. I'm sure I can recall seeing a weekly top 40 in the shop. Cannot recall the name. Remember Fosters on the corner, Paynes, Dillons. Various butchers, post office in the corner and hardware shop next door. Was The bookies Corrigans, not sure. Bunny's Plaice, struggling with rest. Any help gratefully received. Apologies if posted in The wrong place. Doctors, Foster, Cranston, Metha. Also the legend nurse. Suppose that has all been hopefully demolished now after all the promises. Thank you.

There was a florist, a small coop supermarket and the MEB shop (midlands Electricity Board) which sold household appliances. The post office was divided in two with a shoe shop, also an optician but I can’t recall the name, opposite the library entrance was a Midland bank. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I remember PO now was divided in two as a shoe shop. The bank I've been told was up until recently used by Hadfield opticians. Wow he must be getting on as I recall the name. I've been told the parade finally has been flattened. Must be 10 yrs of promises. Obviously Solihull Council didn't think much of Kingshurst.
Sadly I went back last year. Growing up there, wasn't the same. Mate who grew up with me from the age of 4 is on the coast. I'm in the countryside, times move on. Still have good memories, but no regrets.

I too have fond memories of growing up on the estate but as I remember the shopping centre being built it’s about time it was replaced. We moved to Kingshurst about 1958/9 and there was just a small parade of shops so the new centre was a vast improvement. The library was in a small community hall behind the church and the racks of books had to be pushed out of the way when in use for other purposes, there was a dance school there among other things. I moved away from the area many years ago but still visit family living nearby.

Trying to work my round of shops in late 60s and 70s. A family member also remembers a electrical shop. Tvs and repairs etc. We think it was the only local place to buy records. I'm sure I can recall seeing a weekly top 40 in the shop. Cannot recall the name. Remember Fosters on the corner, Paynes, Dillons. Various butchers, post office in the corner and hardware shop next door. Was The bookies Corrigans, not sure. Bunny's Plaice, struggling with rest. Any help gratefully received. Apologies if posted in The wrong place. Doctors, Foster, Cranston, Metha. Also the legend nurse. Suppose that has all been hopefully demolished now after all the promises. Thank you.
Shops I remember, going from the Overgreen Drive end...
Paynes shoe repairers - Dillons newsagent - Greengrocers - Betting shop - M.E.B. shop - Chemist.
Going up the hill...
Opticians - Bragg's Bakers - Wool shop - George Mason Stores (later became VG Stores then Spa) - Hardware shop - Post Office + shoes.
Down the hill...
The Co-op - Barbers - Fishing tackle shop just around the corner.
In the tunnel... Norton the dentist (that name still gives me the shivers) - Solicitors office - Bank (Lloyds perhaps?)
Back along the bottom row...
Lynn's Candy Cabin - Launderette - Small glass display cabinet advertising record sleeves - Moss Electrical (for records too) - Off Licence - Foster Brothers (great corner for doing a 'Harry Worth').
Bunny's Plaice.

I'm sure others will fill in the gaps.

I moved there in 1961 and left in 1980.

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
dry cleaners to right looking from tunnel. that is the dentist that broke my jaw and i had to go to bham dental to have it fixed..i lived across from there in redwood
:mad:

dry cleaners to right looking from tunnel. that is the dentist that broke my jaw and i had to go to bham dental to have it fixed..i lived across from there in redwood
:mad:
Even the grown-ups were scared of Norton!... And the doctor's surgery just around the corner with Dr Foster, Dr Cranston (who always had a fag on the go during examinations!) and the dominant figure of Nurse Harrison who ruled the place with a rod of iron!

Only other shops I remember.... "Harper's" down by the roundabout on Silverbirch Rd / Kingshurst Way.... Dillons in Dunton Rd.... And on Sundays, waiting for the mobile shop to come around.... Not forgetting the Tonibel icecream van!

I lived in Gilson Way from 1961 to 1968 and Dalewood Rd from 1968 to 1980.

Attachments

• 1961 Parade.jpg
    1961 Parade.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
I too have fond memories of growing up on the estate but as I remember the shopping centre being built it’s about time it was replaced. We moved to Kingshurst about 1958/9 and there was just a small parade of shops so the new centre was a vast improvement. The library was in a small community hall behind the church and the racks of books had to be pushed out of the way when in use for other purposes, there was a dance school there among other things. I moved away from the area many years ago but still visit family living nearby.
'Overgreen Hall' in Church Close.... We had Saturday morning pictures in there as a kid in the 60's.... Films like 'Tom Thumb' with Terry Thomas etc... The projector was just sat on a table at one end of the hall and projected onto a screen at the other.... Boiled sweets thrown into the air and lots of cheering, booing and laughing etc from a hall full of boisterous kids.... Much better than an X-Box!

Attachments

• Overgreen Hall.jpg
    Overgreen Hall.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 3
Back