• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kings Norton Workhouse

Kings Norton Workhouse - a note

Prior to 1834, looking after the poor was the responsibility of the Parish partly by providing a Workhouse.
KN probably had a workhouse from about 1729 and from 1803 a building on the south side of the green was used.

In 1836 the Kings Norton Poor Law Union was formed. This included the 5 parishes of Beoley, Northfield, Kings Norton, Edgbaston and Harborne [including Smethwick}. Initially existing workhouses were used but in 1870 the new Union workhouse was built on Raddlebarn Road [originally called Workhouse Lane] and was known as the Kings Norton Union Workhouse until the 1920s when it became known as the Selly Oak Infirmary.

In 1911 [after the Greater Birmingham Act] Kings Norton Union was amalgamated with Birmingham and Aston Unions to create the enlarged Birmingham Union.

Civil registration was introduced by the Civil Registration Act 1836 to take effect from 1837. The Registration Districts
used the same boundaries as the existing poor law unions and this can be a source of confusion when researching ancesters. A birth certificate may well state born in "Kings Norton" but that is the registration district. They may well have been born in Kings Norton but equally it could have been Northfield, Edgbaston or even Smethwick!

Peter Higginbotham's brilliant site at https://www.workhouses.org.uk/KingsNorton/ has already been mentioned on this thread and gives a facinating account with many pictures - well worth a read.

Thanks @superdad3 that's helpful. However, if the birth certificate in, for example, 1842 says born "at Union Workhouse Kings Norton" I assume that must mean the building on the Green, extended in 1837. Yes, the family was from Northfield, but if they were assigned to the workhouse from any of those 5 parishes you mention, there was only one union workhouse covering them all, right?

Thanks @superdad3 that's helpful. However, if the birth certificate in, for example, 1842 says born "at Union Workhouse Kings Norton" I assume that must mean the building on the Green, extended in 1837. Yes, the family was from Northfield, but if they were assigned to the workhouse from any of those 5 parishes you mention, there was only one union workhouse covering them all, right?
After the KN Union was formed, the original parish workhouses continued in use for a time so it's not possible to say with certainty when only the Union workhouse on the Green was in use covering all 5 parishes in the Union.

That said, I'm sure the example you mention is correct.

An ancestor of my wife had an illegitimate child in 1863. The address on the birth certificate is given as Hadyn Road, Kings Norton. I was wondering if this was the address of the workhouse?

barrie.
Hi Barrie
The following reference EP/4/12/1 /1 from Birmingham Library may give the address of the workhouse.
I would go myself but I live in Australia.
1702940685127.png

Back