• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kings Norton Workhouse

barrie

master brummie
An ancestor of my wife had an illegitimate child in 1863. The address on the birth certificate is given as Hadyn Road, Kings Norton. I was wondering if this was the address of the workhouse?

barrie.

kings norton

It would have been in Worcestershire at the time you are researching as this text shows. The workhouse was in Selly Oak

Yes it was in Selly Oak, I found some photo's of it on the net, but its this Hadyn Road I can't find. I have got a 1960's Geographer, but the only Hadyn Road is in Sheldon. Oh well, back to the drawing board. :)

Hadyn Road

you need a map of the date you are researching the Hadyn Road you are looking for as long since gone. It only helps using newer maps if the road or street name carries on.

Kings Norton Union Workhouse was on the Green at Kings Norton and in 1877 Selly Oak House was built to take its place

Hi all

my second great grandfather was in the workhouse in 1911 in kings norton his name was George Mcilveen his was born in Scotland in 1862

It's been several years since this thread but... does anyone know if records from the original location of the Kings Norton Workhouse (The Green location, before 1870) still exist? My GG Grandmother and her siblings were born there 1842-1847) and her grandfather died there in 1844 so any records could be a big help.

Hi Peter, I have been trying to find an answer to this question myself, for several years. I have had to move on from trying to find solid proof of its actual existence on KN Green. I’ve minutely searched the census without ever finding confirmation of a workhouse on KN Green. I placed a question on this to the relevant department at Worcester County Council. I had to wait a while for an answer and a copy of any document showing its existence. I had a call from their archive dept, to confirm that they could find no evidence of its existence. I’ve been involved in many online debates, received photos of the side of a building claimed to be proof… and some sort of a kerb that was apparently part of it. I know the kerb as I’ve lived in Kings Norton for 30 years, went to school on Kings Norton Green etc etc. but never found any actual record of its existence there.

Last edited:
Hi Astoness, that is the picture I referred to in my post. It’s certainly not a building I would expect to house 10 pauper residents anytime before 1870. It’s just too lavish looking with its leaded windows and street lamps ..? in a small rural village? it could be anywhere, and as there’s nothing other than this mystery photo, I’m sticking to my own findings and declaring everything else hearsay ‍♀️ in a fun and lighthearted way of course!
The truth is out there !!

HI Lin. George Demindowicz & Stephen Prices Book King's Norton A History (Phillimore & Co, 2009) on p 126 https://amzn.eu/d/0jeeleI provides a fairly authoritative account of the existence of the workhouse on The Green, with endnote references supporting what they say to documents available in the Birmingham Archives and Heritage Service, Birmingham Central Library. They say "The workhouse was built on the western edge of the south side of The Green between 1801-03. It was substantially rebuilt and extended between 1837-9 to designs by Birmingham architect John Fallows. In 1841 it housed 102 men and women paupers under the control of the governor William Phillips and his wife Louisa, the matron. Twenty years later, when Robert and Mary Ann Layton were master and matron, there were 114 inmates, only identified in the census by their initials, their age and their former occupations. In 1872, when a new workhouse was completed at Selly Oak, the 150 inmates were transferred from Kings Norton and the old workhouse on The Green was used temporarily between 1876-8 as the Village Board School and thereafter for housing, under the new name of 'West End Buildings". On p 127, they reproduce the photo Astoness linked to. That photo, which they call "Union Buildings' they date as being taken in 1935. This may explain why it looks as it does then. Under the photo they say - "Union Buildings in 1935. The core of this complex on the south-western edge of The Green comprised the four-storey workhouse opened in 1803 (middle distance) and extended towards the camera in 1837-9".

Last edited:
Hi AdrianH,
Thanks for your response, Union Buildings in 1935 refers to the Kings Norton Union Workhouse which was in Selly Oak long before 1935. It goes on to state that a four story workhouse opened in 1803 ….? Four stories in 1803….wow lol !
Thanks Adrian

Hi Lin, The following book has more photographs and notes about the Kings Norton Workhouse as well as research information. See also the acknowledgments page. The Kings Norton Library and Kings Norton History Society may also be of help. On P38 it shows the workhouse from Rednal Road with the old cast iron style road name The Green. On page 37 there is a view looking in the opposite direction to the photograph that has been posted before. Hope this helps.
1676158990054.png

1676159021373.png

Attachments

• 1676158965461.png
    1676158965461.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 17
Hi Lin, The following book has more photographs and notes about the Kings Norton Workhouse as well as research information. See also the acknowledgments page. The Kings Norton Library and Kings Norton History Society may also be of help. On P38 it shows the workhouse from Rednal Road with the old cast iron style road name The Green. On page 37 there is a view looking in the opposite direction to the photograph that has been posted before. Hope this helps.
View attachment 177990

View attachment 177991
Hi Bournvilleboy and thank you for your suggestions. I’ve ordered a copy of the book, I’m very eager to see the photos you mention.
Many thanks
Lin

hi lin the book WORKHOUSES OF THE MIDLANDS by peter higginbothom (an expert on workhouses) has 3 cracking photos one shows the whole of the workhouse and the other 2 show close ups of the entrance taken at different times..my scanner is not working so tomorrow in better light i will try and take photos of them on my camera upload them to my lappy and post them on this thread...

lyn

Hi Lin, If you go to the find a grave website and type in Robert Husbands Layton, Born 1821, Died 1881, there is a photo and description of his time as Master of Kings Norton and Solihull Workhouse. Do you have access to Ancestry?
If so, look for the 1841 and 1861 census as noted by Adrian H., you will find the union workhouse records for
Kings Norton, the 1861 shows the Parish as Kings Norton and the Ecclesiastical District of St Nicholas, I believe
that this information coupled with other people's books and research shows there was a workhouse in Kings Norton.
What are your thoughts?
I would be interested in any other information you may find, as I lived on the Green in the late sixties and did
not realise there was Workhouse there until I started to research my family tree.

It's been several years since this thread but... does anyone know if records from the original location of the Kings Norton Workhouse (The Green location, before 1870) still exist? My GG Grandmother and her siblings were born there 1842-1847) and her grandfather died there in 1844 so any records could be a big help.
the 1871 census should have all the inmates listed.

Hi Lin, If you go to the find a grave website and type in Robert Husbands Layton, Born 1821, Died 1881, there is a photo and description of his time as Master of Kings Norton and Solihull Workhouse. Do you have access to Ancestry?
If so, look for the 1841 and 1861 census as noted by Adrian H., you will find the union workhouse records for
Kings Norton, the 1861 shows the Parish as Kings Norton and the Ecclesiastical District of St Nicholas, I believe
that this information coupled with other people's books and research shows there was a workhouse in Kings Norton.
What are your thoughts?
I would be interested in any other information you ex may find, as I lived on the Green in the late sixties and did
not realise there was Workhouse there until I started to research my family tree.
Hi Bournvilleboy Thanks for this. I will take a closer look at the 1841 & 1861 census, as you and Adrian H suggest. This time though I will also look at the enumerators route as I have found ‘The Green’ as we know it now, to be listed as Kings Norton Village. It will be on my ‘to do’ list as my unpacking is at the top. However, I have looked at the headstone of Robert Husbands Layton, I don’t see Master of Kings Norton and Solihull ….only Solihull… ‍♀️ ?
What Schools did you go to Bb?

However, I have looked at the headstone of Robert Husbands Layton, I don’t see Master of Kings Norton and Solihull ….only Solihull… ‍♀️ ?
It is not on the grave but on the site and does refer to King's Norton

hi lin as promised 3 photos and some info...not ideal taking photos out of a book but i hope they have turned out clear enough for you..if you save them to your lap top you should be able to zoom in on them for a closer view

lyn

king norton union 2.jpgkings norton unon.jpg

hi lin the book WORKHOUSES OF THE MIDLANDS by peter higginbothom (an expert on workhouses) has 3 cracking photos one shows the whole of the workhouse and the other 2 show close ups of the entrance taken at different times..my scanner is not working so tomorrow in better light i will try and take photos of them on my camera upload them to my lappy and post them on this thread...

lyn
hi lin as promised 3 photos and some info...not ideal taking photos out of a book but i hope they have turned out clear enough for you..if you save them to your lap top you should be able to zoom in on them for a closer view

lyn

View attachment 178022View attachment 178023
Hi lyn thank you for the photos. This is the Kings Norton Union Workhouse in Selly Oak, which later became Selly Oak Hospital, it’s a housing estate now lol.
Many thanks x

Hi Bournvilleboy Thanks for this. I will take a closer look at the 1841 & 1861 census, as you and Adrian H suggest. This time though I will also look at the enumerators route as I have found ‘The Green’ as we know it now, to be listed as Kings Norton Village. It will be on my ‘to do’ list as my unpacking is at the top. However, I have looked at the headstone of Robert Husbands Layton, I don’t see Master of Kings Norton and Solihull ….only Solihull… ‍♀️ ?

the 1871 census should have all the inmates listed.

Hi Peter, if you can get copies of their birth certificates from the GRO or other sources you will find that the place of birth will be on there. I have found several of my relations who died or were born in workhouses from their birth/death/burial records which have shown the workhouse address.
Have you tried the Library of Birmingham Archives and Collections? See enclosed.

Attachments

• Library of birmingham archives see ref to workhouse records.pdf
    264.9 KB · Views: 14
Hi Lin, if you are interested you can find the 1851 census, which includes the workhouse from the following, George G. Shurlow b1813, Bloomsbury, Middlesex. Spouse, Carolina Shurlow. George was the Governor of the workhouse. The description of the enumerator district refers to ........................the Whole of the village of Kings Norton............................
I went to Bournville school in the 50's, never went to any schools in Kings Norton, but spent a lot of time in the K.N. cinema and the Bull, late sixties early seventies.

Hi Astoness, that is the picture I referred to in my post. It’s certainly not a building I would expect to house 10 pauper residents anytime before 1870. It’s just too lavish looking with its leaded windows and street lamps ..? in a small rural village? it could be anywhere, and as there’s nothing other than this mystery photo, I’m sticking to my own findings and declaring everything else hearsay ‍♀️ in a fun and lighthearted way of course!
The truth is out there !!
Weren't the 10 housed at Beoley?
suggests the Kings Norton facility housed up 102 inmates.

1841 census the workhouse is listed on its own and has 109 entries.

Last edited:
I lived in 1976 in Kings Green Ave just off Rednal Road just around the corner from The Green and everyone in and around the back gardens area said this was the site of the Workhouse. At the bottom of the gardens was substantial brick walls and was told this was the perimiter of the grounds.

Attachments

• lnsq.PNG
    lnsq.PNG
    319 KB · Views: 5
Hi Peter, if you can get copies of their birth certificates from the GRO or other sources you will find that the place of birth will be on there. I have found several of my relations who died or were born in workhouses from their birth/death/burial records which have shown the workhouse address.
Have you tried the Library of Birmingham Archives and Collections? See enclosed.
Sorry for the late reply - it seems I didn't get updates for this!

I do have birth certs. They just say this:
1842 at Union Workhouse Kings Norton
1847 Union Workhouse Kings Norton

And the burial record for their grandfather says this (my transcription):
16 Sept 1844 St Laurence Northfield
John Faulkner, age 84 [1760], Kings Norton Workhouse

None of that says "the Green", I was basing that assumption on Peter Higginbotham's workhouse site entry:
1702899237700.png

I do need to get to the Birmingham Archives at some point to check records. Unfortunately I live on the Berkshire/Hampshire border, so not close enough to pop in easily (and the ULEZ now stops me getting into the centre!).

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this topic and on the site in general - this really is an incredibly valuable resource!

Back