• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kings Heath Methodist Addison Road

RobertS

master brummie
Does anyone have any histroy or information on the Methodist chapel once located in Addison Road B14. It was a pine and corrugated iron 'prefab' church built betrween houses on the left just before Goldsmith Road.

thanks

RobertS

I have no other information on the church other than what you already know. It was located in Addison St next to the Pretoria grocery store on the corner of Goldsmith Rd.

I do have this postcard dated 1913, showing its location and a view of part of the church, if it is of interest.

Phil

Attachments

• Kings Heath Addison Rd 1913.jpg
    Kings Heath Addison Rd 1913.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 10
Hi RobertS:

Just a little snippet of information re Kings Heath Methodist Church.

Addison Road, King's Heath chapel, a wooden building seating 150, was registered for public worship by the United Methodists in 1927. There was a Bible Christian chapel on the site in 1908. Church membership in 1932 was 54.

Source: British History Online

Thanks Jennyann for the information on the church. It interesting the church was relatively late. (Most of the housing in Addison was up before1920. Our house was one of the first at 1892.

(I have much of the other stuff as I grew up in Addison Road and have been collecting Kings Heath Material for ages but was short on a church I knew well.)

Thanks PMC1947 for the Addison Road photo. I have a copy but don't think its as good as the one you posted.

The Pretoria Stores was Sealys by my youth (late 1950's). Mr Sealy was a lay preacher and could be seen on Sundays in the Church. He promoted his store as selling upmarket provisons and it was kept very smartly. If the slogans around the store were anything to go by he was keen on free enterprise and independence.

Hi RobertS:

Just a little snippet of information re Kings Heath Methodist Church.

Addison Road, King's Heath chapel, a wooden building seating 150, was registered for public worship by the United Methodists in 1927. There was a Bible Christian chapel on the site in 1908. Church membership in 1932 was 54.

Source: British History Online

Some clarification is required here. The source mentioning a Bible Christian chapel in 1908 was a little out of date, because in 1907 the Bible Christians had re-united with two other Methodists schismatic groups to form the United Methodists. Therefore the registration of the chapel in 1927 by the United Methodists was doubtless a re-registration for some administrative reason. The "tin tabernacle", as such buildings were generally known, was almost certainly built around 1900, and was therefore contemporary with the surrounding houses, as RobertS expected.

Following the complete reunification of the Methodist Church, effective from 1933, the Addeison Road chapel became a "daughter" of the Cambridge Road Methodist (originally Wesleyan) Church.

I think I can remenber this little church. My grand parents lived at 47 Addison Road & I oftern visited the road. Have a picture of my cousin standing out the house in the 50,s & the road is empty. Last time I went passed it was full of parked cars & lots of traffic. Sorry I dont have a picture of the church.
Tony Sargent.

The 1908 kellys lists it as a unitred Methodist church (not numbered,between nos 87 and 89 addison Rd.). the clerical section states it was in the Bible Christian Section of the church. This had four other churches in the group, and they were serviced by three Revs. In 1905 it is listed as a Bible Christian church. It is not listed in the 1897 Kellys, but is in place in the street directory in the 1899 Kellys. However , it does not seem to be listed in the Clerical section in 1899 , with the other churches, this might be because it was very new, and this section had not been properly brought up to date.

Someone called Bernard sent me a message ref my cousin, replyed but have no reply.
Would you like to try again?
Tony

Does anyone know if any churches in Kings Heath area have been pulled down? Remember attending a wedding in 1986 in a little church tucked away down a side street that had steps from the road up to the churchyard, cobbled and grassed possibly Victorian or earlier can't remember the name of it but think it was past the All Saints church down on the left hand side going towards Alcester Lanes End.

Back