• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Kong

Tailgunner

knowlegable brummie
Thanks for reading ... I had a bit of a thought today, was I passive smoking pot back in the 70's from my Uncle (who lived in Kingstanding), but when I went to stay at his house I can remember a big monkey by the flyover down on the A34????? was I high as a kite or was there something there :rolleyes:
Cheers Simon =)

Tailgunner

I never heard of King Kong in Newtown, As far as I am aware his travel history in Birmingham was Manzoni Gardens, Camp Hill, and Ladypool Rd Balsall Heath. Then as far as I am aware he went north to Scotland.
But somebody might know different.

Phil

hi phil
yes i do beleive he was in newtown at one time
and i am just trying to think which building he was on
at the time
and if my memory serves me right he started off in lady pool
at a car dealers show room and compound
before going down to new town area then moving to the city centre then being shipped off up north
astonian ;;;;

Hi Simon Phil and Alan I remember something being on top of the tall building in Perry Barr where shopping centre is now. Oh by the way I never smoked pot in them days nore even smoked for that matter. Jean.

Thanks chaps I thought I'd seen it...:)
I did do a search but it came up blank, but thanks for your efforts anyhoot =)
Cheers Simon

Here's a picture of King Kong that I took mid 1960's, town centre somewhere, cannot remember exactly.
The group of girls to the left of picture are my three daughters.
img071.jpg

I cannot ever remember seeing "King Kong" in Newtown, I can only ever recall it being in the garden area of the bull ring, and at the car sales by camphill flyover, I think it was called King Kongs Motors, haven't a clue to what happen to it after that.....I am not saying that it wasn't there, I just cannot remember it being located there, my wife to be was living in that area during the mid 1970's, and I myself lived in Aston until 1969, in the early 70's it was in the two places I have already mentioned.....

hi guys ;
with reference to king kong and mr racy regarding the reference of ediburbry stating it was on stratford rd
i would like to put the record straight king kong motors started on ladypool rd and thats where he started his bussiness and so king kong was brought to ladypool rd firstly before moving to stratford rd my mate and myself clasped eyes on big king kong when it was only a small car dealer show room
and king kong was born there before moving any where else on his travels my mate bought a big flash car from him and that was years before moving to stratford rd ; it was nice to learn where he finaly settled down ;now ; astonian

Hi Simon Phil and Alan I remember something being on top of the tall building in Perry Barr where shopping centre is now. Oh by the way I never smoked pot in them days nore even smoked for that matter. Jean.
I never smoked anything as I am mad enough without anything else, I am told, apart from smoking No 6 and something tipped which I bit the end off.
My mum went to school near Stourbridge with a boy known as King Kong.I can't say his name as he might read this and be offended. She said he was smelly. Did you ever sit by anyone smelly at school as I had to? One day we were watching Pebble Mill At One and mum shouted out "that's King King in the audience." Thanks for jogging my Kong memories. Nico

hi guys ;
with reference to king kong and mr racy regarding the reference of ediburbry stating it was on stratford rd
i would like to put the record straight king kong motors started on ladypool rd and thats where he started his bussiness and so king kong was brought to ladypool rd firstly before moving to stratford rd my mate and myself clasped eyes on big king kong when it was only a small car dealer show room
and king kong was born there before moving any where else on his travels my mate bought a big flash car from him and that was years before moving to stratford rd ; it was nice to learn where he finaly settled down ;now ; astonian
You are correct about KK motors starting on Ladypool Rd,a friend of mine bought motor from them in 1976,and i have been on those premise's on a number of occasions,they used a finance company on the corner across the road from their site,as my friend and i paid them a visit,as the car he bought was,well,not worth the money shall we say.

Back