• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Edwards Grammar School Aston 1883

My father Roy GEBHARD attended there

Briefly my dad born 1931 was evacuated during the war to Ironville which sits on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border

Whilst there he sat what must have been the 11+ or it’s equivalent and passed with flying colours

He won a scholarship and went to King Edwards Aston , presumably commencing in 1941 or 1942

He absolutely loathed it, coming from rather humble beginnings (born Aston moved to the then brand new estate in Kinsgstanding in around the mid 1930’s) in his eyes the other pupils were “posh “ (my grandparents struggled to even afford buy to buy his uniform)

But to him what was more of a major problem was that Rugby was the game and he was a football fanatic!

Hence he used to wag off a lot!

All the best.

Paul GEBHARD

I believe this photo (that has been passed down in my family) probably shows the evacuation of about half of the boys in the school to Ashby-de-la-Zouch as reported in the press in November 1939. Some of the boys are wearing the school cap and tie.

View attachment 139614View attachment 139616
I don't think this is a group from KE Aston. The caps that are visible are definitely not from the school that I went to from 1950-58

I have written three books about the history of K E Aston: 'Consent to Sing', 'All Good Fellows' , 'To Win the Game'. All are available via lulu.com/shop then search for 'Jim Perkins'

I don't think this is a group from KE Aston. The caps that are visible are definitely not from the school that I went to from 1950-58
Welcome to the forum Jim. Your expert knowledge of the school will be useful here.
Thanks for casting doubt on my description of the photo in post 3. On closer inspection, I agree that the caps do look different to my Aston cap from the 1960s. However, I am sure that the photo includes my uncle who was born in 1922 and was awarded the Higher School Certificate at Aston in 1940. I know he was evacuated to Ashy-de-la-Zouch as he appears there on the 1939 Register. He was an outstanding sportsman being the school's Senior Champion in Athletics in 1938 and 1939. So maybe the photo relates to some sporting excursion with boys from other schools. I attach a photo of him in the school swimming team.

Attachments

• KEGS Aston cap 1960s.jpg
    KEGS Aston cap 1960s.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 14
  • KEGS Aston swimming team late 1930s.jpg
    KEGS Aston swimming team late 1930s.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Welcome to the forum Jim. Your expert knowledge of the school will be useful here.
Thanks for casting doubt on my description of the photo in post 3. On closer inspection, I agree that the caps do look different to my Aston cap from the 1960s. However, I am sure that the photo includes my uncle who was born in 1922 and was awarded the Higher School Certificate at Aston in 1940. I know he was evacuated to Ashy-de-la-Zouch as he appears there on the 1939 Register. He was an outstanding sportsman being the school's Senior Champion in Athletics in 1938 and 1939. So maybe the photo relates to some sporting excursion with boys from other schools. I attach a photo of him in the school swimming team.
Thanks, I will do what I can to help. May I ask the (real) names of you brother and you?

The swimming team has to be no earlier than 1937 because it includes 'new' headmaster L G Brandon who was appointed January 1937.

I was at KEGSA from 1960-67, before moving on to Reading Uni. Everything that's been said in these posts brings back memories - some good - some bad. It was still a time when you (I) remained pretty fearful about your behaviour. Was that a good thing? I remember - just a few - Sam Doble (French teacher) whose neck wound was a legacy from being part of the wartime resistance, (we thought), Slasher Lazenby - Geography - ironically the initiator of school glee clubs. A.J. Cooke who rejected me from the school choir because I preferred to go to Scouts after school on Mondays instead of staying for choir practice. A youngish teacher of French, Townshend, who took us through sixth form - we read Saint Exuperey and he ignited my decision to read French at Uni. 'A level' Latin with a group of four with the deputy head! Monthly report cards to be signed by parents! Rugby at Hawthorn Road. Football (and chips) at lunchtime in Aston Park. Cross country races across the city. Woodwork in the cellar. Lunches (ugh!) in a different part of the cellar. Biology and Sixth form common room in the terrapin in the playground. New building opening halfway through my time there. Len Brandon as H.T. throughout. A term away at the school's premises (Longdon Hall) between Stafford and Lichfield (???) feeding pigs and learning in a Nissan hut.

Jumpers for goal posts!

Nearly 60 years on, these memories are still fresh - what an influence it had on our lives!

I can't see myself and I don't recognise a soul on the above photo, but I was definitely awarded the english prize on that night.

Thank you Vivienne for creating this thread. Rather a shame that no-one has posted for three years. It was certainly a good school in my day but I am glad to see that teaching methods have improved a lot since the 1960s. I was the 1964 intake. I see that the school is now almost fortified to ensure safety. Rather a sad reflection on modern society. We were free to go out at lunchtime and make our own way home from the sports grounds (Hawthorn Road or Trinity Road). We flew our model aircraft in Aston Park on nice days. Balsa wood from the Model Mecca shop.
The science building had just opened (including the gym, main hall, wood and metalwork shops and kitchens. Mrs Cook the cook (yes, really) gave us sausages, chips and pies as she saw no point in serving healthy salads to go in the bin.
We ran round to the Victoria Road Baths (long gone I think) swam and came back in under 40 minutes with Mr Jessop. As sixth formers we could go on our own to Newton Road Pool, now itself under threat.
We saw Birmingham City Transport become West Midlands Passenger Transport and the newspaper headlines announcing the Aberfan disaster.
I’d love to see a posting from anyone else that remembers the school from 1964 to 1971. I know they lost a headmaster tragically a year or two ago but they do seem to be maintaining a high performance level.
I too joined in 1964, Midland Red. I think I was in class 1A under Mr (Joe) White. I vaguely remember the name Parkinson as sharing the General Certificate Prize with me and others in 1969. Other form masters I recall having were Mr Collins, Mr Toogood, (Gunga) Ingham, (Taffy) Thomas and Brian Roberts. I certainly remember games/gym/swimming master Harry Jessop, who was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

I too joined in 1964, Midland Red. I think I was in class 1A under Mr (Joe) White. I vaguely remember the name Parkinson as sharing the General Certificate Prize with me and others in 1969. Other form masters I recall having were Mr Collins, Mr Toogood, (Gunga) Ingham, (Taffy) Thomas and Brian Roberts. I certainly remember games/gym/swimming master Harry Jessop, who was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
Moor End Lad, two of the masters you recall are in this First XV photo from 1965-6

Attachments

• KEGS Aston First XV 1965-6.jpg
    KEGS Aston First XV 1965-6.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 4
Back