• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Key Hill - Stanyard's Building

J

jannywanny

My 3x great gran died at Stanyard's Building, Key Hill in 1850.

I've looked on maps of the area around that time and have searched for 'Stanyard's Building' but can find nothing. Does anyone know anything about this place at all?

Janny :-\

Been through directories of that vintage without anyt success. Below is what little I have found.
Peter

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY, 1849
Key Hill, 17 Hockley hill.
2 Davis George John, box & ivory rule manufacturer
Hill Henry Stephen, esq.
Hill Frederick Samuel, esq
Hill Mrs
Edge Mr. Thomas
BIRMINGHAM CEMETERY
16 Walters John, brass fonder
17 Stevenson Joseph, boot & shoe maker
18 Bodington Mr. Thomas
29 Watson William, silver plater
31 Ray Henry S. chaser
33 Evans George, jeweller
84 Smith James, grocer
41 Lingard Samuel, butcher
42 Judd Miss Martha, baker
50 Cotterill Edward, coal dealer
52 Tonks William, shopkeeper
54 Fletcher James, beer retailer

SLATER’S DIRECTORY, 1852-53
From alphabetical list:
Stanton Joseph, carpenter, Ledsam street, Ladywood
Stanton Samuel, fruiterer, Market hall
Stanton Samuel, shoeing smith, Bank alley. Dale end
Stanton Thomas, boot & shoe warehouse, 90 High street
Stanyard Josiah, umbrella maker, 36 Constitution hill
Stapenell Samuel, ivory, bone & hardwood turner, 2 Court, Moseley road
Starkey Thomas & Co. gun, percussion cap & button manufacturers, 37 Great Hampton row

WHITE’S DIRECTORY, 1855
From alphabetical list:
Stanton Thomas, boot & shoe mkr, 99 High St
Stapewell Samuel, ivory and bone turner, ct 2, Moseley Road

DIX’S B’HAM & DISTRICT DIRECTORY, 1858
Key Hill, 16, Hockley.
1 Jackson Edward L
Upton Christopher
Harris Wm.
3 Smedley Stephen
4 Bordin Wm.
11 Lyder Samuel
12 Hayes John
13 Shaw Thomas
15 Cooksley James
16 Stanley Alfred B
17 Stevenson Jph.
Walters John
18 Spalling Wm.
Walton Henry
18 1/2 Walter Thomas
19 Brickrnell Chas.
20 Moody Wm.
21 Newnham Samuel
22 Bratt P. and F.
23 Mayo Joseph
24 Price James
25 Howe Jonathan
26 Robinson Charles
27 Parsons Richard
28 Norton John
29 Brown Theo.
30 Stokes Mrs. S. A.
41 Jones Mr. Peter S
32 Ankers John
33 Evans George
34 Allaway Geo.
35 Bird John
39 Blackburn Elijah
40 Reynolds Wm,
41 Baker Samuel
43 Park George
44 Wilkinson A.
45 Steadman Wm.
46 BelIamy Joseph
47 Warwick Joseph
48 Pitt George
49 Richardson James
50 Cotterill Ann
51 Griffin Sylvia
52 Whitehouse E.
Cemetery Tavern
Hill Henry S.
Wilmot Edwd. D.

No Stanyard listed, either resident or trader

CORPORATION DIRECTORY, 1862
From alphabetical list:
Stanton Thomas, bootmaker, 17 High St; residence Mary Street, Balsall Heath
Stanton Thomas, clerk, John St, Lozells
Stanton Thomas, cork manufacturer, 118 Gooch St
Stanyard W, shopkeeper, Cross Lane, Erdington
Stanyard Josiah, gent, Villa Street, Lozells
Stanyard T, spoon maker, Church road, Nechells
Staples Charles, brassfounder, 4 Potter Street

Thanks for looking Peter, it's a strange one this.

I spoke with a lady earlier this year who has a lot to do with Key Hill Cemetery. Her grandfather lived in a building there called Bartlett's Building. She believes they may have been early apartment type buildings or very large houses turned into flats or rooms.

:-\

I believe my ggg grandfather John Bartlett had freehold, leasehold estate on Key Hill, Hockley Hill/Hockley Bank according to his Will and Indenture possibly referred to as the Bartlett Buildings. I discovered that if you put in Key Hill on the census these buildings do show up with the name of the residents/families. I will do a look up for you and come back to it.

Is the lady from Key Hill Cemetery Pauline Roberts only I contacted her to find out if John Bartlett may have been interred there? Her gt gt Grandfather lived at Bartlett Buildings showing on the 1881 census.

Hi Fergie, yes, the lady is Pauline Roberts who told me about Bartlett's Building and surmised about the type of buildings they were.

My ancestor's name is Cath*rine Cannon nee Allen, wife of Thomas. She was born between 1802-1811 (according to various censuses) in B'ham and died in 1850 aged 42, and buried in Key Hill.

Thanks

Janny

On the 1841 Census I have found a

Thomas Cannon aged 30 born c1811 in Ireland
Catherine Cannon aged 30 on the census but on results states born c1802 should have been 1811
Catherine Cannon aged 5 c 1836
Mary Cannon aged 3 c 1838
Ellen Cannon aged 5 months c 1841

They lived at Lower Camden Street All Saints Birmingham

On the 1891 census I could only find Whites and Bartlett Buildings at Key Hill. I am attaching a diagram on the indenture relating to John Bartletts freehold, leasehold estate in Hockley. Though there is no reference to Stanyards.

I have just picked up your Allen connection so you were already in the know about 1841 census. I have had a thought maybe the Stanyard buildings came before Bartlett, John may have taken them over and renamed them? I found Thomas on the 1851 census...............it didn't take him long to remarry.

Cheers for this Fergie,

Yep as you guessed, I'm already aware of the family's whereabouts in the censuses, it's just the location of Stanyard's Building that I'm puzzling about. It may be as you say and could've pre-dated Bartlett's Building - then again 'Stanyard's' may just have been the local term for this building and not its official one :-\

Thanks for the map - haven't seen that before.

Janny

:eek: Oh and yes you're right Fergie, it didn't take long for Thomas to marry after Catherine died.

Judging by later censuses, Thomas's 2nd wife Bridget didn't stick around long after his death.... most of her kids were brought up by my lot after she married the lodger ;)

My grandfather was born in a pub called The Tavern in Key Hill in 1893. William Arthur Hickman. Does anyone out there have anything on the Tavern -stories, old pictures? anything.............
Thanks

On the 1891 census I could only find Whites and Bartlett Buildings at Key Hill. I am attaching a diagram on the indenture relating to John Bartletts freehold, leasehold estate in Hockley. Though there is no reference to Stanyards.

Hi Fergie,

I've just read your thread about Bartletts building, Key Hill. I was wondering if you have any more details. As my great grandparents lived at 20 and 29 Bartletts building respectively. Their names were John Edward Bird and Ellen ( nee Norman ). They lived their circa 1881 - 1895.
Thanks
Phil

Back