• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery

Hi senoraruz,

If you have Centro's promise on paper - it would be nice to have a copy - we could have a go at them to help replant the area

Bri

Sorry Wendy.
My aunt did all the corresponding & I presume it was all thrown away when she died. She was a very feisty lady in her 70s & had been a legal secretary, so I left it to her.What I do have is the dates of some of the correspondence.
3rd November 1995 with Mr Bertoft at Centro
18th November 1995 with Ms Jopling BCC Cemeteries & Crematoria, Haven, Yardley Cemetery Yardley Road, B25 8NA.
Don´t know if this will be any help as it´s so long ago.

The names are Barnes Nellie Clark Joseph A Cundy Mary Morris Charles Pitt Georgina Rawlings Esther Sewell John A Swain Edith L
Adams Sarah Barnes William Crane Annie Davis Alfred Morris Elsie Pitt Isabella Rawlings Thomas Sewell Robert Swain Harriet
Barnes Elijah Brecknell Elizabeth Crane Emmie J Davis Samual Morris Gertrude F Pitt Joseph Sanders Ellen Stokes Elizabeth Swain Samuel
Barnes Florence Brecknell Eliza Crane Jane Evans Gertrude Morris Sarah Pride Samuel Sanders Ivy Stokes Harold Weatheridge Alice
Barnes Francis Brown Charlotte Crane Thomas Lething Amelia Morris Sidney Pugh Ellen Sewell Ada Stokes Julia Witherford George
Barnes Francis Brown Philip H Cundy Amelia Morris Albert Page John Pugh Ellen J Sewell Alfred Stokes Maud Witherford Mary
Barnes Louisa Clark Daisy Cundy James Morris Annie Pell Sarah E Rawlings Annie E Sewell Esther Stokes Oscar Woodward Francis

The remains weren´t all taken from paupers graves. Many were disinterred from family graves. For example, Robert & Ada Sewell & their son John were from a family grave .
The list is taken from the order of service when the memorial garden was consecrsted by Rev John Bassett, Railway Mission Chaplain on 11th April 1997.
(& a freezing cold , miserable day it was too!!!)

Hello Wendy, I wonder if you can help me please, Suzanne has given me a registration number of 8569 for a Robert Pugh in Warstone lane, Is there any way I can get more details about this. Thank you.
Lynne.

Hi Lynne Robert Pugh is in section F grave no 460 sadly there doesn't seem to be a headstone. Good luck Wendy.

Thanks Wendy, is there any way I can find the age of this Robert Pugh, I am not sure if he is mine but is the only death in Birmingham with that name I can find...Thanks again for taking the trouble to look for me.
Lynne.

Sadly I don't have the info Lynne but you could try emailing Handsworth Cemetery they may be able to help or even Brian might have the info.

Re: Names

Hello Wendy

Don't quite know how I wondered on to this thread, But I think you will find J R R Tolkein is buried in Wolvercote cemetery along with his wife.

Linda

Re: Names

Wendy
I am sure my last post seems a bit strange, it was in response to something you wrote in 2007? (I think) about Tolkein'grave being in Dorset.

Linda

Hello Linda it took me ages to find the post but I did eventually...lol. I can only think it was incorrect info given to me maybe there are other family members in Dorset. Thanks for clarifying where JRR Tolkien is in fact buried. I will correct my post.

HI Lynne

I was in Handsworth today so looked up Robert Pugh, 8569.
Buried on 3rd August 1860, aged 40 years, address Wharf St? - writing is a bit poor.
In Grave F 406 WL. Arrangements done by Ellen Fouch???? Very hard to read surname.

Does this tie in with what you were expecting?

Brian
ps Did pop into WL, but was sawing up fallen branches and forgot to look for grave! - Sorry!

Hello Brian, Thanks so much for looking but sadly he's not mine. My Robert Pugh would be in his 60s, so I'll have to keep searching.
Thanks again,
Lynne.

There was a John Pugh in KH, buried 13/4/1860, aged 64, 15542 in B35.
He was from Cumberland St, funeral arranged by Mary Ann Pugh

Just in case this is another Pugh of yours.

I only looked at Pugh, Pugh - didn't bother checking Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb! (I didn't think they were part of the Trumpton Fire Crew - but you never know!

Brian,
I have got a John Pugh but he was on the 1861 Census so he's not mine either. I think they must have thrown them over a wall somewhere because I can't find any of them. The rest of the Trumpton Fire Crew would be easier to find than this lot.
Thanks so much for all your help though.
Lynne.

I had a lovely time at Key hill cemetery yesterday - planting winter pansies, sweeping and grave hunting.
Here are a few pictures:
1. Brian clearing some graves in section R and planting some donated bulbs
2. The graves Brian cleared are behind some graves recently cleared and planted by visitors to the cemetery.
2. Planting pansies on one of my family graves - this is the headstone that I had repaired last year :) When I found the grave in 2009 the headstone had been broken off it's base and was lying across the grave :( like the one in the front of the picture.

A few more pictures from yesterday.
1. Hubby and Brian talking about grave things
2. Hubby clearing some of the endless leaves - there are still lots to fall - I think we will need some volunteer leaf sweepers in a few weeks time.

1. We went looking for the grave of my hubby's Gt Gt Uncle in Section C - Brian showed us where it is - sadly underneath this huge wall :(
while we were standing there feeling sad that the grave and headstone were lost the sun suddenly shone through the trees.
2. The Metro Memorial Wall

Last edited:
Hi Pollypops, they are smashing photos :) good to see you had an enjoyable afternoon. My other half and I went on one of the tours recently and met up with Brian :) ..it was a really interesting afternoon.
I have a rellie buried in a public grave in Section C also, but her name isnt on the stone, she was very young when she died.

Hi Lindyloo - glad you enjoyed the photos. My hubby's Gt Gt Uncles grave that is now under the wall was a public grave - we do not know if his name was on the headstone as it is missing too - probably crushed and used as hardcore for the wall foundations :(
We did have one happy find yesterday - my hubby's Gt Grandmother is in a public grave in section L and we found her name on the headstone :)
I also have an aunt in a public grave in section L - she died aged 5 1/2 months - her name is not on the headstone but at least I know where she is :)

View attachment 71192View attachment 71191

Note - after some delays, due to tendering processes, The Key hill gates are about to be restored!
They will be taken out of use on 10th October 2011, and work will continue through the winter, hopefully re-opening in February 2012.
The gates themselves will be taken away and have their chopped out centres recast and restored. The pillars will be taken apart and rebuilt with newly carved sandstone.
Work should also take place on the pillars on on the corner of Key Hill Drive (uphill) and Cemetery lane (downhill - next to Victorian loo).
Mising spikes should also be restored on the tops of the railings where necessary.

If Visiting - Use Icknield St Entrance to arrive and depart from. If passing throughy the cemetery - don't It is a cul de sac until late February!!!!!!

Watch this space for progress reports as it happens!

View attachment 71265View attachment 71266View attachment 71267

You've only got to turn your back for a minute and someone will have the shirt off it !!

Got to KH at 0950 for a 10.00 site meeting, just in time to wave goodbye to the Key Hill gates!

If you see these dodgy looking guys- hang on to your things!

The Entance will now be blocked off from 10th October, for the gate pillars and the ones at the end of Cemetery Lane & Key Hill Drive are taken apart, recarved and rebuilt.

All to be done on site over winter - unveiling late Feb 2012.

Does any-one know the history of the gates ie were made and by who and the age of them please?

Kind Regards..........

have tried to reload picture of gates being measured, but it will not load, nor will it open in the post above.

The right hand gates says Bramhall? and sons, Brittannia Foundry 1836 - as far as I can read - it gets blurry when I enlarge!

They were made by the Britannia Foundry, owned by Issac Marshall (I think, memory a bit rusty), they were in Bradford Street, made 1835.

Brian try again it could be a problem with our site being hacked we have lost hundreds of images.

In 1833-1839: Marshall J. and Son, iron founders, nail and stove grate manufvs. Britannia Foundry, 61, Bradford-
St
1841 : . Marshall Isaac h Sons, iron founders & coffin & cast nail and stove grate manufacturers, 74 Bradford st

Back