• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kendrick and Sons - Jewellery Quarter

Mark Tooze

master brummie
I have a large batch of photos to post of the derelict building of Kendrick and Sons Printers - but first I want to establish their exact location as I cannot remember precisely - I think they were somewhere by the top of Key Hill Drive backing onto Hylton Street?? - can anyone help with a map please?
Here are a few to "set the scene" as it were:-
1644912082696.png
1644912182263.png
1644912262638.png

This one is a bit of a mystery isn't it?

I looked at the photographs this morning and out of interest, had a quick look on Google - which I'm sure you had already done - but nothing seems to come up for the name of the company!

I've just had another look this evening and the only thing I can find is on a WikiTree page of a John Edwin Kendrick of Calthorpe Road, Birmingham (born c1907) who was described as a Printer (Master)

How very strange there seems to be no mention of a company whose name is so clearly displayed in the photos!

Phone books online stop in 1980 on Ancestry but Kendrick and Sons were still listed at that address. They were also there in the 1950s

Here is a map from 1950s showing no. 73. It is a bit difficult to distinguish between buildings and spaces . It seems printing works is marked as 72, but the front of 72 is marked rivet works. Perhaps Kendricks also took that over

map 1950s showing 73 Gt Hampton St.jpg

Thank you - I was not far off - about a hundred yards!!!! My index said "Old Factory Jewellery Quarter" which is as much use as a one legged man in a butt kicking competition.......
I'll post the other photos tomorrow.

well 72 and 73 gt hampton st are still there and as the map shows kendricks were at the back of those... great photos mark look forward to seeing some more

lyn

Thanks - I know those houses very well as they were on my bus route to Town for many years!
Glad that the address has been located now.

What happened to the company I wonder?

Here are some photos of the interior, starting at the top floor - when I look at the roof and floors (or to be more precise - the lack of them......) - I must have been out of my mind wondering around taking these shots - you do odd things when you are younger......
The interior is like a time capsule - left to decay exactly as it was when the doors were locked for the final time. Machinery, tools, all kinds of things left to rot, window panes broken, vegetation already growing:-
1645010407314.png
1645010433923.png
1645010462793.png
1645010484985.png
1645010549264.png
1645010575225.png

hi mark stunning photos and a fantastic reminder of history past....i can feel a little investigation coming on because i am not entirely convinced that this building has been demolished..looking at the map it was sandwiched between 73 gt hampton st back of no 127 branston st which is roughly where the new branston court is now...if we look through the gate on st view those buildings look old to me but cant be sure if they were part of kendricks as looking at the map again kendricks look a tad further back...will try and get down there...it was certainly a great day for this forum when you came along and decided to share with us a massive amount of the photos you took...

lyn

Last edited:
And some more:-
Here you can see through the ceiling to upstairs:-
1645016237271.png
1645016267614.png
You can just make out details of a wall poster about how to deal with Electric Shock and administering CPR:-
1645016377421.png
Does anyone know what any of these items would have been used for please?
1645016429031.png
1645016452065.png
1645016473636.png

mark post 18 pic 3 are those printing blocks....wonderful photos...just as an aside in one of your posts you said you must have been mad to get into buildings like this to take photos but you were at school and very young...aside from the past 3 years you want to see the buildings i was getting into:D and i am 70 next year...have to be careful these days as dodgy knee prevents clambering over heaps of rubble :D...all in a good cause though

lyn

hi mark stunning photos and a fantastic reminder of history past....i can feel a little investigation coming on because i am not entirely convinced that this building has been demolished..looking at the map it was sandwiched between 73 gt hampton st back of no 127 branston st which is roughly where the new branston court is now...if we look through the gate on st view those buildings look old to me but cant be sure if they were part of kendricks as looking at the map again kendricks look a tad further back...will try and get down there...it was certainly a great day for this forum when you came along and decided to share with us a massive amount of the photos you took...
lyn
Found a planning applcation for 1993

• 71-72-73 GREAT HAMPTON STREET & CNR BRANSTON ST & VYSE ST CITY
  • Proposal DEMOLITION OF 71/73 GT HAMPTON ST.(RETAIN FACADE)/ERECT 3-ST. BUILDING/RETAIL G.F./OFFICES ABOVE,2/3ST OFFICES/CARPARKING

However, as it is that long agao there are no documents with that to provide details. Looks as if the front was left and the back part demolished.

It looks like some of the building might still exist, looks like there is a recording studio and gallery at the back of the new court buildings.

Gallery Recording Studio Birmingham​

Art gallery in Birmingham, England

cbk.jpeg.jpg

Back