• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ken Miles

Paul D

master brummie
Hi, the help I got last time finding out things about my grandfather has spurred me on to ask some more things from the very knowledgeable members here. I love motor racing history and I am currently researching a racing driver for a possible article or book. His name was Ken Miles and he was born in Sutton Coldfield on the 1st of November 1918 in Sutton Coldfield. I do not know which road but I know it was at his grandparents house. His grandfather was the owner of Henry Miles Tea & coffee business. I would like to know where that was or even see a picture of the premises. His full name was Kenneth Henry J Miles and his parents were Eric Miles and mother was Clarice Jarvis. Perhaps there is a senior member here who knew Ken Miles or even saw him compete in hillclimbs at Prescott or Shelsley Walsh.

In the 1901-1 Directory for Sutton Coldfield there is s
Victoria Road (Right hand Side) Miles J Henry the house does not appear to have a number but it did have a name and that was Sunnydale,

Hi, the help I got last time finding out things about my grandfather has spurred me on to ask some more things from the very knowledgeable members here. I love motor racing history and I am currently researching a racing driver for a possible article or book. His name was Ken Miles and he was born in Sutton Coldfield on the 1st of November 1918 in Sutton Coldfield. I do not know which road but I know it was at his grandparents house. His grandfather was the owner of Henry Miles Tea & coffee business. I would like to know where that was or even see a picture of the premises. His full name was Kenneth Henry J Miles and his parents were Eric Miles and mother was Clarice Jarvis. Perhaps there is a senior member here who knew Ken Miles or even saw him compete in hillclimbs at Prescott or Shelsley Walsh.

In the 1961 directory there are 21 Miles (no pun intended) of the 21 there is a
Miles Henry and Co 83 Victoria Rd, Wholesale Tea and Coffee merchants; Coffee Roasters

This is an advert from the 1961 directory Miles 1961.jpg

That's good, thanks. I wonder if they were still there in 1918.

Excellent find, very interesting. I,ll have to have a look on google street walk to see whats at that address now, cheers.

I have just found out Ken Miles and his wife Mollie lived at 29 Queenswood road, Moseley in 1947. Does anyone have any family who remembers Ken Miles.

Can anyone tell me if Sunnydale, Victoria road and no 83 Victoria road were the same house and does it still exist. I had a little look on google street view but not knowing the area I could,nt tell. It seems there are some modern flats or business units there. Thanks

Hi, I don,t have much to go on but here goes. Does anyone know of a second hand car sales garage on a bombsite in Small Heath in 1951? Maybe there were lots of them in Small Heath I don,t know the area but I am interested in one which a gentleman named Ken Miles worked at. Thanks

The one I remember was on the Coventry Road think it was called 'Matties' or something like that.
Can't help with the chaps name though.
Nick

Thanks Brummie Nick, do you think that was the only second hand car sales back then in Small Heath?

hi paul ;
If it helps and you bear with us i have a friend whom is in the second hand car bussiness and he as been in the game for thirty years
in bordesley green and he knows of virtualy every body whom was in the game he his a well known and popular guy whom belongs
to the society of motor trade i see him every week at the week ends since i have known him [ my friend roger ] as introduced me to alotof the od dealers in brum whom are now out of the trade and by coincidence he introduce me to a guy whom my young brother worked for many years ago
it was only by the name car company that he told me and i mentonioned my younger brother whom as died about three years now
told me it was him ; that my younger brother worked for him my friend is still operational today in bussiness in bordesley green and coventry rd
so i will asked my friend about ken miles you have mentionioned okayi will speak to him around wednesday ; if not it will be sunday when ewe get together
Have a nice day best wishes Astonian;; Alan;;

Thanks Brummie Nick, do you think that was the only second hand car sales back then in Small
Heath?

No Paul, there were others, but Matties was one of the larger ones, there was plenty of old 'Bomb Sites' in Small Heath which were the places they used mostly.

Nick

Hi brummie Nick and Astonian, thanks very much both of you for your comments. Absolutely no rush on these matters, great news Astonian. I am researching Ken Miles early life. If it helps, after working at the used car sales in 1951 he then emigrated to America to become a racing driver. Wish I knew definitely which road it was in Small Heath but the only information I have is "working at a bombsite at a used car sales in Small Heath". Paul

Hi, I have just found out that The Miles Tea & coffee business was operated out of premises at the side of the house in Victoria Road. This had long gone which made way for a road. Does anyone have pictures of the premises please?

Back