• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Keeping Warm

i remember us being posh when we moved to aston we had a electric fire like that below:grinning:
View attachment 166635
That certainly was posh!!

We had the single bar version with no coal/log effect. Holding a slice of bread against the guard with a fork to make toast was always a dodgy performance. Apart from the risk of getting electrocuted you had to keep swapping hands to avoid getting burnt!!

Blimey, some posh people on here - bathroom? No, tin bath in the kitchen. Electricity? No, gas only. Running hot water? No, kettle or big saucepan on the kitchen stove. Living room? No - everything happened in the kitchen ; "The Front" was strictly special occasions only. Heating? Coal fire/hob/oven in the kitchen, nothing anywhere else. When we moved to a council flat in Alum Rock it was like moving to a different planet - electricity, a bathroom - Brave New World!!

Last edited:
That certainly was posh!!

We had the single bar version with no coal/log effect. Holding a slice of bread against the guard with a fork to make toast was always a dodgy performance. Apart from the risk of getting electrocuted you had to keep swapping hands to avoid getting burnt!!
All we had was a round copper looking dish with a single wound could in the middle. The dish reflected the heat so they say! The biggest problem was the heating coil kept braking and we made is shorter an$ shorter and had less heat. And no we could or would not afford to buy a new one!

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Blimey, some posh people on here - bathroom? No, tin bath in the kitchen. Electricity? No, gas only. Running hot water? No, kettle or big saucepan on the kitchen stove. Living room? No - everything happened in the kitchen ; "The Front" was strictly special occasions only. Heating? Coal fire/hob/oven in the kitchen, nothing anywhere else. When we moved to a council flat in Alum Rock it was like moving to a different planet - electricity, a bathroom - Brave New World!!
When my mothers marriage broke up in 1963 she fled the situation with us four kids in what we stood in,
I was the oldest at 7yrs. Throwing herself at the mercy of B,ham council we were housed in what I remember as a church building filled with bunk beds which in reality was just somewhere to sleep at night.

After a few weeks we were given the keys to 14 Allesley st Aston, we moved in with no furniture. The first few days sat on tea chests and sleeping on the floor until the Salvation Army provided us with some old metal frame beds, settee, table and chairs. ( they still get regular donations from us 'kids' today)

Mom got family allowance of £20 a week at the time to keep the five of us. Almost inevitably utility bills were not paid.
I remember at Allesley st and when we moved to Bracebridge St a year later until 1968 the electricity constantly being cut off through unpaid bills,( I'm not sure about gas but probably) Candles were novelty to us kids at the start but that soon wears off.

in the winter months it sure is cold here so i have a thick sleeping bag that i put that on the bed and i get into and a load of blankets on top,now things are bad it looks like it will be used again soon:(

We had prepayment meters, one cold winter, could have been '63, the electricity meter became full so mom couldn't get any more coins into the slot, shillings I remember, it didn't respond to being tapped (bashed). So, my youngest brother, always mechanically very able, opened up the coin box, stacked the coins neatly within the box to create more space so more power could be bought. Mom gave a good act of sharing the meter man's surprise of how the coins had stacked so precisely.

Back