• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kate Parkes Birth Look Up

Sheriff

proper brummie kid
My G-GrandMother who became Kate Weston when she married my G-GrandFather gave her maiden name as Parkes for 8 of her children born after 1911.
I am able to find 1 Kate Parkes born in Birmingham in the right time frame. I did not find a Catherine Parkes.

[SIZE=+1]Births Sep 1887 [SIZE=-2](>99%)[/SIZE][/SIZE]PARKES Kate Birmingham 6d83

Thanks again.

Steve

Do you have Marriage Certifcate ?

This should reveal if your relative was a spinster at time of marriage or a widow.
Females marry in their former name, not their maiden name.
But Births of their Children always give Mothers Maiden name.

Can you give her Husbands name to be able to search for marr cert.

Then we can proceed to look for a Birth Reg for her.

Bo

Hi Bo,

I don't have a marriage certificate but know that she married James Weston in the last quarter of 1907.

WESTON James Birmingham 6d359
[SIZE=+1]Marriages Dec 1907 [SIZE=-2](>99%)[/SIZE][/SIZE]SHERIDAN Catherine Birmingham 6d359
Thanks

Steve

Just another theory.
There is a Kate Sheridan on the 1901 census
Henry street,Birmingham
Thomas Sheridan age 39 Coventry Market trader
Mary age 42 b. birmingham
Kate age 13
Emma age 9
Mary 6
Thomas 3

There is no record of either Kate/Catherine Sheridan born in birmingham at that time.
Could she have been born Parkes but at the time of her marriage calling herself Sheridan but when it came to registering her children had to put her birth name.
I can find no marriage of Thomas and Mary but children of a second marriage or relationship often took the mans surname and then reverted back to their birthname some time later.

found births of Mary sheridan and Thomas sheridan but none for Emma Sheridan

Last edited:
In the 1891 census I can't see a Kate Sheridan but there is a Kate Parkes(transcribed as Parker) aged 3. Mother Mary Parkes B1859 Screw Worker and Father James Parkes B1857 Warwickshire Nail caster. They are lodging at 1 Apollo Row, Charles Henry Street.

But in 1901 they don't appear as the above (i can't see them anyway).
Could it be that James Parkes died, Mary married Thomas Sheridan and the children Kate and Emma were listed as his children? They are at 9 Prince of Wales Terrace? Charles Henry St in 1901.

Just a thought:)

Suzanne

Hello all, I'm afraid I'm struggling here to post. I'm new to Birmingham History and wonder if anyone can tell me how to do it please. What I'm actually wanting to know is whether there is such a thing as a Parish Records Index for a marriage which took place in 1829.

I'm looking for all detail on the marriage of Samuel Wright and Elizabeth Dawson which happened on 21st December 1829 in Birmingham. I find them on the 1841 census at New Market Street in the Parish of St. Paul's and this is where I am HOPING they were married. I live in Manchester and have NO Geographical knowledge of Birmingham at all. Is there a look up service, payable or other, that I might take advantage of?
I would appreciate ANY tips.
Many thank you's
Kait

as it happened the couple got married in st. martins which is the large church in the bull ring of birmingham.

here are the details on the certificate

samuel wright of this parish bachelor and elizabeth dawson of this parish spinster were married in church by banns 21st dec 1829.

witnesses were joseph dobbs and sarah brighton :)

Shera............how can I thank you??????
That's fantastic. Hopefully, I can find a full transcription at St. Martin's or apply for a copy from the Library. Once again, thank you SO much.
Kait

That's Kate on the 1891 census and as Kate Sheridan on the 1901 census.

I found a James Parkes on the 1901 census registered as a widower.

Thomas Sheridan married Mary Brannon in 1899 at Aston juxta.

I can find no record of a Mary brannon marrying a James Parkes.

Back