• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Joyce Onyekwere Ngbaronye

Cdesgraf

proper brummie kid
Good day folks,
Am seeking information on my Mother, Joyce Onyekwere Ngbaronye, a Nigerian who trained in QE sometimes in late 40s to early 50s.
Tony Nwobbi

Tony,

Welcome to the Forum. Exactly what sort of information are you looking for? I presume that she was born in Nigeria, and that you have any marriage/death details? Electoral Rolls are only available online until 1965.

Maurice :cool:

Folks,
Thanks for acknowledging my post.
I want to trace records of joyce onyekwere ngbaro ye at QE.
She was born in Nigeria but studied in QE in late 40s/early 50s.
She settled back in Nigeria where she married my Father, a 1956 Howard University graduate of Architecure, changing her surname to Nwobbi.
Would like to reconnect her with any of her colleagues still alive today.
It will be helpful for her autobiography.

Thanks Maurice,
Yes she was born in Nigeria and sponsored to study in the UK by her brother Robert Ngbaronye, a PNB for the RAF during world war 2.
She settled back in Nigeria where she married my Dad , a Howard University trained Architect.
I am interested in her study records, any available hospital records and possible colleagues still alive she could reconnect with.
She's quite old now with failing memory.
Tony

The electoral rolls which are online only include some years. She is listed in 1952 as living at the QE Hospita, with her brother listed that year at 24 Brecon Road.

l

Tony,

I've just done a search of the British Library Newspaper Archive, though there is not a lot online for Birmingham after 1945, and also a general search of the Web for all versions of her name, both single and married, but I am afraid nothing has been turned up. As Janice has posted in the post before this, any records held by the Hospital are likely to be subject to the data privacy laws. About your only chance is if someone who knew her, and they will also be fairly old by now, happens to see this thread.

Janice/Maurice/Mike,
Would it be worthwhile contacting the Hospital directly? I know that some of my records were available a few years ago from my school in the 1950's.
Just a thought...….

There is a difference in asking for your own records and for those of someone else - even if a close relative. At the moment I would not suggest contacting the hospital - for obvious reasons.

There is a difference in asking for your own records and for those of someone else - even if a close relative. At the moment I would not suggest contacting the hospital - for obvious reasons.
Absolutely agree........As her son (when the CD 19 is in our rear view mirror) I am sure there would be a release form/document from the hospital that would permit providing she approves (his mother). Since all other avenues seem to have led to a dead end.

Richard,

They're a bit funny with medical records in case someone has added a remark they think the person shouldn't see. And remember that we are talking about pre 1960 when they could write whatever they liked!

Ma
Richard,

They're a bit funny with medical records in case someone has added a remark they think the person shouldn't see. And remember that we are talking about pre 1960 when they could write whatever they liked!

Maurice, thank you! That last sentence speaks volumes...

It is possible to browse the Register of Nurses to find people who qualified and were registered in the same period. I assume these nurses would have been on the same course as Joyce. For example Eileen Rosemary Nolan. Compiling such a list of nurses would no doubt jog Joyce's memory ....

1953-Nolan.jpg

It is possible to browse the Register of Nurses to find people who qualified and were registered in the same period. I assume these nurses would have been on the same course as Joyce. For example Eileen Rosemary Nolan. Compiling such a list of nurses would no doubt jog Joyce's memory ....

View attachment 144334

A quick glance produces the names of Elizabeth Nash and Muriel Parker.

Keiron,

These nurses are going to be in their mid 80s, most, if not all, female and will have married. So before you can even start searching 192.com, you have to sort out their married names, and some may have married more than once. Good luck with that!

Tony,

I've just done a search of the British Library Newspaper Archive, though there is not a lot online for Birmingham after 1945, and also a general search of the Web for all versions of her name, both single and married, but I am afraid nothing has been turned up. As Janice has posted in the post before this, any records held by the Hospital are likely to be subject to the data privacy laws. About your only chance is if someone who knew her, and they will also be fairly old by now, happens to see this thread.

Maurice,
Was half hoping I'll come across anyone who knew her that can provide any old photographs.
Thank you

Janice/Maurice/Mike,
Would it be worthwhile contacting the Hospital directly? I know that some of my records were available a few years ago from my school in the 1950's.
Just a thought...….
It's worth a try peharps in spite of the strict privacy laws.
A steep slippery slope. Need all the help I can get.
Thanks all the same.

Rather than bothering hospitals or the Nursing Council at this time I am sure the must be a "nursing" magazine where you could place an advert. Most professions have a journal or magazine.

Thanks for your efforts folks,
Joyce,my Mum remembers Rita Saldana,

That throws up another oddity because although Rita Saldana was registered on the 18th December 1853, it would appear she completed her training at the Ghandi Memorial Hospital at Lucknow. However, this may have been a secondment as she did return to the UK and married Donald Barboza at Birmingham in April 1963.

Well, there was a Donald Terrance Barboza living in the West Midlands until the 2018 Electoral Roll, i.e. October 2017, but he appears to be living alone. That's the last entry for him and I have things to do right now, so can return to this later. Please remember that no addresses of people who might be still alive can be placed on this open Forum and must be done via PM (Conversation).

Hi all,

I've written to Tony via PM, but it very much looks as if the line in posts #22 to #24 is now a dead duck. All I need to tell you is that the man in question remarried in1993 and we have no further interest in him. Rita has disappeared.

I can see why Joyce remembers Rita Saldano. She was living in the same house in the mid-1950s. The Edgbaston property housed 9 people and perhaps all worked as nurses. The location places it between the QE and hospitals in the city centre so it is not clear if Joyce was working elsewhere after qualifying. Anyway, the other people in the house - and I list them in case they are of help to jog Joyce's memory [how old is she by the way?] were : Rita Saldano, Elizabeth Long, Dorothy Dawson, Vera Cross, Elena Caligari, Kathleen Brindley, Muriel Bemrose and Frances Harrold.

by the way other nurses who were registered in December 1953 at the QE [this is NOT a complete list]
Jeanne Brown
Sheila Brewer
Sheila Coates
Rosemary Coleman
Joan Collins - I once had dinner with THE Joan Collins but that's another story!!
Gwyneth Cooke
Megan Davies
Mary Ealey
Ann Earnshaw
Margaret Stockton

Incidentally, looking back through the thread, I assumed Joyce had settled in Nigeria. I see that there is a record of a Joyce O Nwobbi living in London in 2003. Is this the same person?

Keiron,

Without being familiar with the incidences of Nigerian names, it is difficult to be certain and only Tony would know when she returned to Nigeria. There are, for instance, over 90 Rita Saldana entries in births, marriages and deaths, too many for us to be certain whether she was a native of the UK.

At that point in tine you had to be 18 years of age, I believe, before you could start nurse training. 2020 minus 1953 plus 18 = 85 years, the likely minimum age of all these nurses today, the majority of which would have got married at least once. You can immediately forget surnames like Brown & Davies as there are thousand of marriages in that name. As I said way back in post #17, good luck with that. Some of these people, if they are still alive, may also be in nursing homes, and many homes do not bother to register their inmates for voting, so tracing will be difficult if not impossible.

But unless Joyce remembers a name from those that you have quoted, I see little point in attempting to trace them. I'm not being awkward, just realistic!

Kieron,
But unless Joyce remembers a name from those that you have quoted, I see little point in attempting to trace them. I'm not being awkward, just realistic!

I only listed them in case it sparked a memory if Tony told Joyce the names. I certainly cannot trace them as I am always up to my ears in publicans!

Back