• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joshua Thomas Poole. Architectural Sculpture

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ann Compton, of the University of Glasgow is trying to expand the entry for Joshua Poole on their database of sculptors (https://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/person.php?id=ann_1316278573 ).
Joshua did work on St Asaph’s church in Birmingham, married a Castle Bromwich widow and lived in Castle Bromwich for the last 30 years of his life in a cottage called Ivy cottage, Buckland End. He is listed in Kellys as living at “Buckland End,Castle Bromwich” for 1899-1910, but censuses list him there from at least 1881 . I have not been able to identify the cottage, which is almost certainly long gone (though the map of around the period shows very few cottages in the area), but has anyone on the forum any information on it, or on Joshua. Presumably he was buried in Birmingham. A sculptor’s headstone could be interesting, though I am not clear where the grave might be if he lived in Castle Bromwich.
Can anyone help with any information ?
Mike

Mike I don't know if this may help. Michael's parents lived in Buckland End Lane in Castle Bromwich and moved to a bungalow in the next road in later life. Michaels parents are buried at Yardley Cemetery along with his gran who lived in Saltley. Buckland End Lane runs alongside the Hunters Moon pub.

From Joseph McKenna's book... Yardley Cemetery Opened by Yardley R.D.C. in 1883, it was acquired by Birmingham Corporation in 1911.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks Wendy. Who could i contact to find out whether he might be buried there?

Send an email to Yardley Cemetery they are very helpful. Give them as much info as possible including date of death. If he isn't there thats one iliminated but lets hope he is.

Mike I have found Joshua and Elizabeth in 1891 with visitor Benjamin More also listed a carver. Joshua is listed as an Architectural Carver. He was born about 1839 in Gloucestershire and died in Aston in 1910 which could be another clue to his burial place. If he had a plot with Elizabeth she was born in Clifton On Dunsmore. It may be worth looking at Witton Cemetery as well.

I have checked Warstone Lane and Key Hill cemeteries and he is not in either. I think I would try Witton if as on the death record it says he died in Aston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Registration for Castle Bromwich still came under Aston in 1910.
I made a detour to Castle Bromwich cemetery when I went to castle Vale this morning.
Any hope of finding if Joshua was buried there would have been a complete waste of time.
The 'churchyard is on the opposite side of the road from the Church and what a heatbreaking place it is.
There are maintained cinder paths but that is as far as it goes,tombs are smashed to bits,crosses lying by the side of gravestones.
Some graves have sunk about 2 feet and are full of rubbish amd the whole area is covered in weeds.
Many of the stones have the lettering worn away so although me and my husband had a good look around it was a bit of a non starter.
What surprised me most was that amongst the much older graves were those from 1954,64,74 all in the same state,untended.
Obviously the parishioners and people of Castle Bromwich could take a leaf out of the book of the Friends of Key hill.

Thank you Alberta. It is a shame the place has been allowed to get to such a state. I agree , they could take a leaf out of the Key hill book. Have had no reply yet from Witton
mike

Wendy, that is really interesting. Joshua Thomas Poole married registered 1878 to possibly Elizabeth Cooper.He was a widower in 1871
She was the widow of Thomas Bennett Cooper and they lived Bucklands end in 1871.
There are 3 records for thomas Bennett Cooper on the list you sent link to. 1835(birth) 1860(marriage)1875 (death)
They were obviously very involved in Castle Bromwich life so I am sure that is where Joshua is buried.

Last edited:
Thanks Wendy.that is very useful. Looks like the marriage, but there might be more information there. I have e-mailed Julie evans
mike

Wendy
I contacted Julie Evans as you suggested. she was away for a while, but have just got her reply From the date it seemed likely it was his marriage, and this was so. they could find no mention of a burial there. It did give a little extra detail of the marriage though:
1878 Aug 26
Joshua Thomas Poole/aged 42/Widower/Stone Carver/of Lea Bank Rd, Birmingham/son of Charles Poole (Deceased)/Butcher
Elizabeth Cooper/aged 44/Widow/No Occupation/of Castle Bromwich/dau of William Houghton (Deceased)/Gardener
married by License

Witnesses: Joseph Smith & Ann King Houghton

Maybe he was buried elsewhere than Birmingham

Thank you for your help. I will pass these details on to glasgow.
Mike

Back